Whats a better buy now, silver or gold?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
What's a better buy now, silver or gold?

Let's say that you had to buy either one, which would it be? For arguments sake let's say the prices are Apmex prices just for this question, not Ebay prices. And further, let's say your current PM holdings were 50/50 dollar value wise silver and gold.

Explain why you chose one or the other.

Jim

Bean

Aug 3, 2008
Georgia
Re: What's a better buy now, silver or gold?

I would go for silver.
For one its more affordable for me right now, I hope by this spring I'll be able to add some gold to my stash when I free up some capital.
I also think the rate of return you'll see on your investment will be higher with silver.
From my point of view, gold gains slower but has more of a steady climb, where as silver will lag behind gold for awhile then takes off,
seems like overnight sometimes. Kinda like the tortoise and the hare story, but in this game they both win.

Bean

Tarheel boys

Jan 14, 2008
Southeastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, White's Classic II

I try to buy 50 oz's of silver a year. My plan is not to cash it in, but to leave it for my kids or grandkids. It is kinda fun opening up that safety deposit box in the bank to see lots of silver coins and bars!!

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

Looks like the consensus is to buy silver. I think it has a better chance of a greater % rise in relation to gold in the future. As far as gold goes, I really like to buy the old pre 1933 US gold coins, but since their premiums have gone thru the roof I am staying away for now.

Jim

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro

:icon_scratch: this is a no brainer. Silver is more likely to double sooner than Gold would. so it only makes sense to me. but you would have to lay down some major money to make as much compared to Gold.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

It's not major money you have to lay down Angelo , but major weight / amount of silver compared to gold because of its relative cheapness. If you use a safety deposit box, then as you pay by the size of the box blah blah etc.

However I believe gold is the way to go because of the huge growth in its "practical " demand such as Jewellery in the rapidly rising middle class in Asia especially India.
Silver is a "poor mans" choice of jewellery for his bride and in most countries now would be unthinkable.

I think silver is overrated / overpriced and in this economic climate only the strong will survive. Gold is strong and will allways be by its inherent nature-- Buy gold ( if you can )

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

pigiron said:
It's not major money you have to lay down Angelo , but major weight / amount of silver compared to gold because of its relative cheapness. If you use a safety deposit box, then as you pay by the size of the box blah blah etc.

However I believe gold is the way to go because of the huge growth in its "practical " demand such as Jewellery in the rapidly rising middle class in Asia especially India.
Silver is a "poor mans" choice of jewellery for his bride and in most countries now would be unthinkable. Also silvers practical use ( such as photography ) is declining fast.

I think silver is overrated / overpriced and in this economic climate only the strong will survive. Gold is strong and will allways be by its inherent nature-- Buy gold ( if you can )
As far as it's use in electronics, silver is a cheaper conductor than gold. Also, silver supposedly is less available than gold is, silver is not being mined and is actually a by-product of other mined metals.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

[quotesilver is not being mined and is actually a by-product of other mined metals.

][/quote]]
never heard that one before :icon_scratch:....i know i heard there are silver mines

ScoobaSteve

Nov 28, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTX500

mistergee said:
[quotesilver is not being mined and is actually a by-product of other mined metals.

]
]
never heard that one before :icon_scratch:....i know i heard there are silver mines
[/quote]

Mexico has one of the worlds largest silver producing mines that is still in operation!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AMC rulz said:
Also, silver supposedly is less available than gold is, silver is not being mined and is actually a by-product of other mined metals.
It is a lot easier to find cheap silver over gold. I only buy when I can get a deal. So far only about 20gr gold VS several pounds silver.

Near where I live gold is a byproduct. I live near one of the largest gravel pits. Gravel is their main business. But they get a LOT of gold too.

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro

I just cant see people paying $1500+ for an ounce of gold. Much less buying several hundred oz at once. However I can see people paying $50 for silver because its been done before. $1100+ hasnt. You have more middle class in the world then rich, far more. So I see the rush on the poor man's metal because it has so much room to move and 10 times more people can afford it. We all know theres a shortage now imagine then. In my town theres gold coins all day long,,, but the silver is gone as soon as it trades hands.....I'm wrong about a lot of stuff but I think this makes sense...... but to think of it nothing makes sense anymore.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

nyiangelo said:
I just cant see people paying $1500+ for an ounce of gold. Much less buying several hundred oz at once. However I can see people paying $50 for silver because its been done before. $1100+ hasnt. You have more middle class in the world then rich, far more. So I see the rush on the poor man's metal because it has so much room to move and 10 times more people can afford it. We all know theres a shortage now imagine then. In my town theres gold coins all day long,,, but the silver is gone as soon as it trades hands.....I'm wrong about a lot of stuff but I think this makes sense...... but to think of it nothing makes sense anymore.

The real powers that move prices in silver and gold are not investors like me, and probably like most others here. Big institutions and industry are the movers and shakers. Thanks to all the liquidity being created by our gov, there is alot of $$$ out there that could go into gold. It would not take much money (globally speaking) to buy all the physical that is available for sale. I don't ever seeing Joe Six Pack from the US running to the coin store to buy any PMs, until maybe the tail end of the bull market, like what happened in the early 80s. I would bet that less than 1/10 of 1% of the population in the US currently owns gold or silver bullion (coins or bars).

It is not like that in other countries though. In some, the locals consider buying gold good luck, and also it is common to buy gold during certain holidays and festivals (such as India and other middle east countries).

When gold hit $850 back in the early 80s, that amount of $$ would probably be equal to over $1200 today adjusted for inflation. And as a country we were in better shape then as opposed to now, with respect to the national debt, savings, etc.

I like gold and silver and have both. But gold is considered a monetary metal more than silver and I see big buyers accumulating it even if it goes over $2000 per ounce. All those trillions they keep creating will have to go somewhere.

Jim

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

Good post Jim.

I think Angelo is behind the times in that the USA is a largely populated by poor people
who are wasted on booze, drugs, nicotine, gambling and whores. All this breeds greed.

It has a huge homeless and trailer park population .

The Asian countries are rising fast especially India .

True, USA has recently stuffed the globe and maybe people are thinking payback.
After this year its importance will wane.

Gold is the standard, buy any small amount. The size of your safe doesn't matter; it's what's in it that counts.

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro

Bad post pig.

Nobody asked for your opinion on what kind of people lived in the USA. If your really in Australia then how could you have an accurate judgement on the people here. My point is your post was offensive and tacky. You need to delete it.....

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania

I think Angelo is behind the times in that the USA is a largely populated by poor people
who are wasted on booze, drugs, nicotine, gambling and whores. All this breeds greed.
and i suppose all Australians go on walkabouts and hang out with Aboriginals.....get with it Dude

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

Rarely will anyone kill you for a little bit of silver. You can sell a lot of silver and still be under the reporting requirements of the Patriot Act. It has never been illegal to own silver and it has never been confiscated.
People can and do get killed every day for small amounts of gold. Only a very small quantity of gold would trigger the reporting requirements of the Patriot Act. What gets reported can be tracked and confiscated. Gold ownership has been banned and mere possession has been made illegal in the past with a $10,000 per ounce fine for illiegal possession.
The historical high of silver was slightly more than $82 which is nearly eight times the current price even without allowing for inflation. The historic high of gold was just a few months ago when it was over $1000. Which metal has the greatest upside potential allowing for those facts? Far and away it is silver. The latest figures I've seen for the break even point on new silver production was way over $8 per ounce. When the price falls much below $12 per ounce many of the smaller mines must close because they can't reliably meet costs and payroll. A few of the small family operations can continue because they work for food only during the hard times and are rewarded when the prices rise by selling their accumulated silver bullion and sharing out the money. they also have the funds in the good times to expand by buying new properties.
A simple hypothetical calculation shows that $10,000 invested in junk silver coins would get you roughly $1000 face value with an upside historical potential of $80,000. $10,000 invested in modern gold eagles should get you between 12 and 15 coins with a maximum historical upside potential of $15,000. If you choose to believe the promoters talk of $20,000 gold what do you think silver will be in the same week? I think if gold ever gets to $20,000 silver will easily be over $250. At $250 that same $1000 face in junk silver would be worth $250,000. siegfried schlagrule

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

The above post by SS is so full of errors it deserves no further comment.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

I'm pretty sure each and every one of my errors will be brought to my attention and I'm equally sure that we will soon know whether or not i was right. Since I know nothing about international gold transactions and don't want to I have no opinion on what is going on in the rest of the world. I do know that there are very many nations where it is illegal to export gold and attempts to do that will get you arrested and your gold confiscated. Some other countries limit the amount of regular money you can export. Italy comes to mind with multi-million dollars fines to actors and actresses. Happy New Year, siegfried schlagrule

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used

mcgearhead said:
S.S.
You hit the nail on the head with that post ! Looks like according to pigiron, we are both full of errors ! Wait a minute, could it be the other way around ? :icon_scratch:

sometimes we never know. maybe my math had an error in it. maybe he doesn't like my conclusions. maybe he makes his money talking people into paying more than market price for gold. regards, siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

Bought some silver today. Got some 10 ounce Engelhards for 130 each, and Engelhard prospectors for 13 each. Also got some Canadian Maples for 13 per ounce as well. Pretty good deal relatively speaking.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions