Whats a better buy now, silver or gold?

Re: What's a better buy now, silver or gold?

silvercop said:
i would say silver

I picked up a couple of JM 10 ouncers today. So the price will probably drop tomorrow some more. ;D

Jim

jim4silver said:
silvercop said:
i would say silver

I picked up a couple of JM 10 ouncers today. So the price will probably drop tomorrow some more. ;D

Jim
Thanks for taking one for the team Jim, maybe I'll buy some tomarrow and make it drop some more. HH Mark

Doing a little research, I believe gold is in for a drop to $850.00 to $860.00 per oz.
by the end of this year. If I were buying gold myself, which I'm not at this time.
I would wait a few months, feeling that I may get a better buy.
Most of the friends are buying silver. one oz. bars, rounds or coins.
Myself I like the 90% silver coins. This being more of my passion of old coins, rather than an investment in silver.
Those that invest buying gold or silver now, or in the near future, are going to
come out ahead of the game. IMHO

Roadquest :coffee2: :clock:

Roadquest said:
Doing a little research, I believe gold is in for a drop to $850.00 to $860.00 per oz.
by the end of this year. If I were buying gold myself, which I'm not at this time.
Myself I like the 90% silver coins. This being more of my passion of old coins, rather than an investment in silver.
Those that invest buying gold or silver now, or in the near future, are going to

If you are keeping up with the gold market news then you would be better off buying now. Everyone that has it, are selling so slow that people that are buying are doing so, so slow that it will raise long before prices fall. How long do you want to wait. A year or two, a decade. Only a panic sell off will drop prices the way that you expect and a wild run on buying will raise prices by all that much.

The gold market is right for the buyer now. The gold market is wrong for the the one whom sits around talking about the gold market.

If you don't believe it, then follow the gold market for a very short period of time. Very short and look at the gold prices over the past six months and you will be shocked at what you see if you have any understanding at all of gold prices.

Seamuss said:
Roadquest said:

If you are keeping up with the gold market news then you would be better off buying now. Everyone that has it, are selling so slow that people that are buying are doing so, so slow that it will raise long before prices fall. How long do you want to wait. A year or two, a decade. Only a panic sell off will drop prices the way that you expect and a wild run on buying will raise prices by all that much.

The gold market is right for the buyer now. The gold market is wrong for the the one whom sits around talking about the gold market.

If you don't believe it, then follow the gold market for a very short period of time. Very short and look at the gold prices over the past six months and you will be shocked at what you see if you have any understanding at all of gold prices.

I'm sure you understand it better than I do. I do keep up with the gold market.
But, I keep up with other things that effect the gold market. Gold will drop to
around $850.00 by the end of the year. Yes it will pick up again. But, this will
offer a good opportunity to buyers. I believe I said, wait a few months to buy, not
a decade. I will check what I wrote above, and see.

Gold hasn't done much over the past several months, aside from chop around in a sloppy range. There has been a lot of swapping in and out of gold by flighty traders, used as a hedge against fears of future inflation, bought and sold by institutions, and as of late, exited in favor of material possession of the shiny metal itself by some hedge funds (those who pay attention to the paper-to-metal arbitrage).

But irrespective of this continued, underlying jostling of positions, one thing is certain - the price of gold has largely been unaffected, for good or bad, by the economic crisis, and consequently by the most recent "flight from safety" rally.

So what gives? The dollar has been getting crushed, emerging markets assets have surged. The best emerging markets movers have been consumer-related, anticipating the effectiveness of these countries recovery efforts. Gold has been unimpressed by the decline of the dollar, and at the same time unaffected by the move away from safe haven assets. It is nearly the same price now as it was to start 2008. Who would have guessed?

With the markets at overbought levels, it may be worth keeping an eye on GLD here. Obviously many investors have core positions in gold. And buying the GLD for a trade while it is still muddled within the parameters of its range is probably unnecessarily risky.

However, taking a step back and eying the GLD from a longer-term time frame certainly lends one the confidence that this range should eventually be resolved to the upside, and potentially in dramatic fashion. Longstanding consolidations often beget powerful moves.

Attachments

• Bullion Bar by Paul Insect \'Sculpture\'.jpg
    Bullion Bar by Paul Insect \'Sculpture\'.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 391

Hi Roadquest,
If gold were to go down to $850 an ounce by the end of the year, then I would sell all the gold I have now and buy at that lower price.
You could be right, but I just don't see it happening this year. This conversation was held by someone else at the end of last year and that's why I see it a little differently.

Follow your instinct just in case your right and I'm missing something.

I'm a prospector and dig up most of my gold so that I don't have to invest my greenbacks in gold. I'm probable looking at the gold market from a slightly different view point then you are doing. My greenbacks are buying more silver at the moment then gold. My sweat and labor in getting most of my gold in my poke.

I actually wish you luck on your investment and your view point.

Jim
Sea'mus King of the Leprechauns

Seamuss said:
Hi Roadquest,
If gold were to go down to $850 an ounce by the end of the year, then I would sell all the gold I have now and buy at that lower price.
You could be right, but I just don't see it happening this year. This conversation was held by someone else at the end of last year and that's why I see it a little differently.

Follow your instinct just in case your right and I'm missing something.

I'm a prospector and dig up most of my gold so that I don't have to invest my greenbacks in gold. I'm probable looking at the gold market from a slightly different view point then you are doing. My greenbacks are buying more silver at the moment then gold. My swet and labor in getting most of my gold in my poke.

I actually wish you luck on your investment and your view point.

Jim
Sea'mus King of the Leprechauns
I wish I had access to the possibilty of sweat equity when it comes to gold acquisition. We don't have that kind of gold here in Michigan.

I believe gold will continue its choppy trading for the near future, as the other markets try to figure out what is really happening with the US and world economies. I too am buying silver.

Great discussion.
Dan

Jim,

I've long wanted to prospect for gold. Not enough here in Virginia
to make it worth while. I admire your ability to access to an area to find
gold. And the work that go's into it.

I don't buy gold, for the simple fact that I can't afford to. When I can, i buy
silver. I think it's a better investment for the "little" guy.

I agree, if anyone knew for a fact, where the market was going with gold
and silver. They would have no problem, knowing when to buy or sell.

I wish you great success with your prospecting.

Roadquest.

I can go along with that. Silver is great for investment.

An earlier post of mine I said I buy silver and dig most of my gold.

Your doing good.

I hope you guys understand what Gold stands for. In economic terms it is your Statue of Liberty. It protects natural rights of economic rationality in times of difficulties where human minds stop working.

For most of us, gold is almost out of reach for investment, making silver a better buy for us. I can buy tenth ounce rounds of gold once in a while(not often). I am fortunate to live close to gold baring hills where I can prospect.

It's a no brainer for how we can invest as individuals. Gold is really a great buy if it's in someones price range. Silver is better if gold is out of our price range.

Both go up at about the same rat and they come down at about the same rate.

Gold is KING!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 353
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 354
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 350
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 364

goldsworthy said:
Gold is KING!

Nice stash of gold there!

Seamuss said:
For most of us, gold is almost out of reach for investment, making silver a better buy for us. I can buy tenth ounce rounds of gold once in a while(not often). I am fortunate to live close to gold baring hills where I can prospect.

It's a no brainer for how we can invest as individuals. Gold is really a great buy if it's in someones price range. Silver is better if gold is out of our price range.

I find the premiums on 1/10 ounce bullion to be way crazy. You might want to check out old European gold coins. Sometimes you can get them for not much over spot and they are in AU/BU condition and over 100 years old. A 20 franc has .1867 of an ounce of gold and you should be able to easily find them for $180-$185 each, maybe less if you have a good relationship with a local coin dealer.

Right now I am about 50/50 gold and silver value wise. I like both for different reasons. Most of my gold is in pre-1933 foreign gold coins, mostly 20 francs, sovereigns, and other old world European coins. Although I don't believe there will be another confiscation, if there is I feel I will have a better chance with AU/BU coins over 100 years old, if there is any exemptions for old coins. I got them all very close to spot anyway, and they are fractional size, so if gold goes to the moon they will be easier to sell than a larger coin/bar. I really like the old US gold, but their premiums are way too high right now. I would rather have as many ounces as I can get.

I think silver will make higher gains percentage wise, but my gold has held its value mostly, while some of my silver holdings are in the red right now.

Jim

I get most of my tenth ounce gold from private owners that have had then for awhile. That way I won't get burned from the shops high fees.

Looked at an ounce of gold at $350 plus premium some time back. Silver was cheap in the 3.00 plus dollar range. So, a hundred oz of silver rounds, at almost the same price, actually a couple of dollars less. At 1000.oo /gold, my profit would be $650. At $16.50, silver today, my profit IS $1300.00. I would have had to buy two Oz of Gold to make the same money.And, the silver/gold ratio is closing....Gold is for the long term, get outta Dodge type world. You need both ,to the best of your ability, once the basics are secured. Cordially Nadcarves

I have lots and lots of both! 1500 ounces silver and 78 ounces gold and O yea, 2 ounces of Platinum All of it is in Eagles. I would buy more but my wife might notice she thinks I only have $500.00 worth of metals. SHHHHHH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back