Whats a good buying price for Peace Silver dollars...?

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's a good buying price for Peace Silver dollars...?

I found ten lower quality Peace dollars for $145.00 + $11.00 shipping....

What do you think?

Bill

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island

It depends how "low" that lower quality is. Dealers are selling peace dollars where I am starting at $14 for the plated, smoothed, roughed up ones. And the prices go up from there with condition.

~Dave

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

I generally avoid US silver dollars only because if you are getting them purely for silver content, you are not getting your money's worth in any way.

However, if you get them because you think they are cool coins and perhaps they have some type of numismatic value, then they are great to have. But if this is what you are seeking, I would get higher quality and not the cull, damaged or otherwise bad looking ones.

When I first got into silver I bought some VF to BU quality because I thought they were neat coins and due to their silver content. It seems that normally dealers put high premiums on them relative to their silver content, even if the coins are not in good shape. If I wanted to sell them now I would probably only break even, but I plan to keep them for several years so that really does not matter.

When silver started tanking this year I was able to get a nice price on some G to VG quality old Morgans, but I got them mostly for the silver as opposed to any numismatic value.

It is amazing though how many MS condition old Morgans are floating around out there. I guess they had been sitting in a vault for over a hundred years or so.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread