Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Note will End up in the trash bin.

Especially if you Expect them to Sign something.

the ONLY peson that can come to MY door & expect me to Sign
anything is The Mail Man.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I have to agree with Jeff on this one. Everytime someone sticks something in the paper box I just throw it away. Face to face is the only way to secure permission. Also remember that just because someone says no doesn't mean everyone will say no.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
definitely go with face-to-face contact, for several reasons.

Like already mentioned, notes get tossed into the trash (especially with a permission slip). It is better to approach someone, build a rapport, then ask them a favor. It is harder to turn someone down when 1) they are standing right in front of you 2) you like them. Also, if you approach someone, you can explain what you want, what you're intending to do, answer any questions, and... since you probably have the detector in your trunk... give a small demonstration.

good luck

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Forget Permission Slips, Unless They Bring it up first.

A Gentlemen's Agreement (Handshake) & Thank you !

Shows Trust.

People who Distrust are Usually not trustworthy.

in My opinion.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find that it helps to bring young children (well behaving) with you. Works EVERY time! :D ;D

DCMatt

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Always and forever,face to face. Besides making new friends you might just be treated to some of the best coffee and food you have ever had.If you are nice and enjoy people,you will learn more history from the local people than any library could ever hold.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
DCMatt said:
I find that it helps to bring young children (well behaving) with you. Works EVERY time! :D ;D

DCMatt

You know anywhere I can Rent a child for a few hours to go get permission LOL ;D ;D ;D

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DCMatt I was going to say exactly the same thing..my youngest (he's 10) sometimes comes with me..bringing a child with you makes your intentions look much more credible. Once you get an acquaintance who takes a liking to you, they may pass the word to their neighbors.

Nat

outdoorgirl

Nov 21, 2006
Eastern NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have twins that are four and I'm not afriad to to use them! ;D Sounds awful but it works!! Who could resist a sweet little girls face ;D awwwwwwwww

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Notes and phone calls rarely work. The few times I tried this, I have gotten no's. However, 95% of the time when I asked face to face I have gotten the go ahead. Nothing like letting the person see your not an axe murderer.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Stormtrooper, I'll fly my two across the country so you can use them. Let's see: make sure you have a portable potty and wipes, something to snack on, something for them to play with and be prepared to break up several fights. Also, hope they don't start vandalizing the property (pulling on branches, etc.) and they will want to keep every piece of scrap metal you pull out of the ground. Otherwise, their charm may open doors for you. ;D

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
halfdime said:
Stormtrooper, I'll fly my two across the country so you can use them. Let's see: make sure you have a portable potty and wipes, something to snack on, something for them to play with and be prepared to break up several fights. Also, hope they don't start vandalizing the property (pulling on branches, etc.) and they will want to keep every piece of scrap metal you pull out of the ground. Otherwise, their charm may open doors for you. ;D

Uuuummmmmmm :-\ :-\ :-\ I'll stick to parks and schools ;D ;D ;D

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walk up,knock,introduce yourself,open your wallet and hand them a business card,as you do this make sure your badge gets "revealed" when handing them your card.You should have it a lot easier than most of us based on your occupation alone. ;D If they say no,then say "okay,no problem and your address is ......,i'll be seeing you later,have a nice day maam/sir" :o :D :D .Seriously though,i'd ask,I wouldn't leave a note,it's too easily dismissed.I wouldn't turn down a cop,unless I had something to hide! :)

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggumup,
Thats a greet idea. Just badge the guy/lady. Cool I will have to try that

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seriously, I have to agree that face-to-face is the only way (although kids help).

I tried a week of phone calls to talk to the pastor of a church in a CW battlefield and got NOTHING (left messages, no call back). When I showed up and knocked on the office door, guess who answered - the pastor! Introduced myself and asked for permission and got the OK!

DCMatt

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
papa said:
Just the facts Ma'am Just the facts. Where is it buried?
:D :D :D :D :D

Laughed out loud at that one!

With that approach you may as well show up with pick and shovel and say, "Hi, you don't know me, but may I excavate your yard??" :D ;)

Nat

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natman, That is funny. Thats what I have in my mind that people will think when I ask them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread