Upvote 0

capsmith

Jan 10, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okay now... didn't really need to see your tray. we knew what you meant I'm pretty sure of that. just don't believe it applied to this piece.

You really didnt have to look at my tray,and some may not have known what I meant.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a scraper and was made just as it was found. Too thick for a re-worked point. To be more efficient and easier on the hand it would be better to have mounted it in an L-shaped haft. The straight on mount style Alwayslearning posted was probably how it was used. However, there is more danger in ripping the hide by pushing than by pulling.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very good a hafted scraper picture. The difference is the top part of the blade. Notice in this picture the one side is nearly flat and the other side rounds up to the make the edge. Well that is because they used it as a scraper and used one side of it consistently creating that rounded edge with the flat side. Your find shows a well conformed blade tip created from flaking both sides of the piece. A scraper would have been like the picture above. Now the next thing to look for is the dulling of your blades tip. Is there polish there and is it dulled. This is from usage.
To finish off your piece is a micro-celt!! Made to use for those spots where a large celt would not fit. You are right about one thing it is not a hoe!! By the looks of the material it would appear to be Ft. Payne Chert or Buffalo River leading me to believe this was found in the southern states east of the mississippi. Chert, FLint and Slate were used to make a boatload of micro celts down there. Look it up you will find that most of the southern states east of the miss will have alot of examples in all sizes. I have seen micro celt from Alabama that were no larger then 2"...............................No need for you to be a smart ass to people when they are trying to help someone out!!!...................................GTP

Last edited:

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good....it does not go over well with some of the members when you post nonsense after a person who has been on this site for years and is extremely knowledged in this field puts there two cents forth to have it made fun of by a newbie!!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you run off a suitable flake for a scraper of "that" type it has that curve straight off the mother stone

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how do you make the connection between new to this site and new to the world of archaeology?????

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and what do you have 100 more posts on myself

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct but in this example it was flaked both sides to create a blade tip....

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey look... I'm not here to argue. I apologize for jerking the chain around a little. sorry if I aggravated you as well

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and what do you have 100 more posts on myself

What does that have to do with experience. It means I have a life and I am to busy to post all the time. It has nothing to do with how many posts you make or what you say. It IS HOW YOU SAY IT AND HOW YOU CONDUCT YOURSELF!!! With this reply it is clear you are young and just want to be a problem on this forum. I'll make the mods aware of your actions, if they have not already been made aware!! Be professional in your comments not a little kid who thinks it is ok to rib on people for asking for help here!!! You will know when a post is out of fun and when it is for help!!!

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sorry to the other people you offended. My skin is thick and I know how to handle myself. I do not appreciate you ridiculing the people on the artifact forum. With that said this convo is over and I bid you good luck in your hunts and good luck in life. Post but be a beacon on this site not a thorn to it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread