Whats the best metal detector you use

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
The best one to use, is the one you fully understand. What ever you have just get out and use it enough. In time you will find items, you'll be proud to show off. i have two detectors, both by different companys. I love the higher price one, but my best find was with the cheaper one. I believe results come from three areas: 1 detector, 2 operator, 3 where you hunt. If it ain't there you wouldn't find it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea but the "BEST ONE" I use is a MINELAB SOVEREIGN XS-2 Pro & like the Gun Owners Say :? ?;D "FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS"? ;D

Gretchen

Aug 2, 2004
I use a Radio Shack 1000 (Bounty Hunter Tracker IV). I move fast around Lakes and in the forests.
Trying to figure out what my other metal detectors touch pads says takes too long. I have a real meter and a toggle switch that goes from Tone to All Metal to Discriminator. The machine is great for playgrounds, relics, at beaches and in the water. I just bought a 4 inch coil. When the snow melts I will try it out for gold nuggets. The detector only cost $10.00 at the local swap meet. Check for my finds under my name Gretchen.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What "The Pete said".

I have been detecting since before the advent of the TR (Transmit Receive).
During that time I have owned quite a few detectors. I currently use a Fisher CZ6 with 10" coil. It will go deep, but is hot on nails. Deep coins will often read like iron. I won't even use this machine in areas where there are a lot of nails (which is almost everywhere). My favorite detector is a Garrett Freedom II that I use almost all the time for the type of hunting that I do. It doesn't get the depth that many newer/better detectors get, but the discrimination is incredible, and I know the machine inside and out. Been using it since 1986.

There are many good detectors on the market now. Minelab has an excellent machine, and I have been hearing good reports on the Troy detector. The Troy is a "getting back to basics" detector but with improved, high quality components.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Find a local dealer & go have a demo. Try out several models & or brands. Find the one that is comfortable to you & easy for you to understand. You don't need a complex machine to have a load of fun. Don't go out on limb & exceed your budget for bells & whistles you may never use or understand, but on the other hand, don't be a cheapskate. You usually get what you pay for.There are any number of postings on this forum that can provide a wealth of good free advice. Just like treasure hunting or MDing, research is where it's at. Good hunting! Spotz

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I happen to like my Fisher 1236X2. No meter, a couple of whistles and mid-range $325 it always works for me in this mineralized soil.

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
I use a Whites Spectrum. I like it for the depth. I also use a Bounty Hiunter Big Bud, which has also provided me great finds. I try to rotate them out every month or so, and go back to where I oreviously used the other.

freeze12

Jul 29, 2004
Buffalo,NY
Detector(s) used
*Ground Hawk*--*Minelab Quattro*--*Tesoro Tejon*
I recently purchased a "Minelab Quattro" I am itching to go detecting but right now it is too cold here in Buffalo,NY. Lots of good reviews on this detector. I am leaving for Southwest florida @ the end of the month so I am taking My Quattro with me to find My hidden treasure!! ;D

skinnyoda

Dec 10, 2004
California
I use Banditto IIUmax, I have had a blast with it, but I'm want to upgrade to the Tesoro "Tejon". I have heard really good thing about it . Its runs about $550.00

:) Yoda

michinkae

Nov 22, 2004
New York
Detector(s) used
whites DFX and XLT
i used to use bounty hunters and radio shack models 1100 and the 3300, the I became enlightened and converted to the Whites metal detectors. DFX and the MXT are the only way to go.

O

ol ploock

I have an Explorer II and a GTI 2500. They both have good points.

I would have to say that I like the Explorer II the best, because since I started using it, I haven't touched the Garrett.

Roy

M

mrmark55

I use a Whites DFX and love it. Each time I use it I discover something new.
It definitly has a learning curve but my finds have triipled and I am now
digging rings, silver etc. The depth just blows me away. Had to buy a
deeper digging shovel for sure.
Now if it will just stop raining for a day or two I might even get to use
it some more!!
;D

N

Noble Metal

mrmark55
If your ever willing, on the DFX try to sometime order the 25 inch loop, and then post and let us all know how it goes; would and could be very interesting, especially if there was ever anything deeper in an important area.
And Thanks, and I have thought of that combination with the DFX :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread