Whats the biggest gold pan out there to buy?

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Anyone have a link for a pan 18 inches or bigger for sale? I usually have pretty good luck finding stuff with google searches and other internet searches but for a really big pan I been pretty unsucessful so far. So far the biggest gold pan I have been able to find for sale is 17 inches wide; that comes in two types a proline and a basic black pan, both avaliable at a couple places. I really want something bigger, like 18, 20 or even 24 inches. And not one of those expensive rotapans or the other one that costs over 130 bucks.

I have a 16 blue inch pan I bought at one of the gold and treasure shows last year (and its not big enough for me anyway), but it has broken several times already because it is cheaply made and very thin. I have used liquid nail to repair it four times now, but I would rather just upgrade to something better as it will probably fail (again) the next time I use it. One of the the reasons I need this pan is because I have access to a spot on private property with a decent amount of fines, but the owner thinks me using anything other then a pan is bad. I have tried to explain the benefits of dredging, sluicing etc, but he still wont go for it. Also a big pan is great for sampling because the bigger of an area you can test, the more precise your sample will be.

I thought about making a batea but that seems rather hard and time consuming (I still might go this route though if I cant find a big enough pan for sale). I have even checked out garbage can lids online and lots of different cooking pans, anything that might potentially work but havent had any luck.

So anyone know where to get gold pans bigger then 18 inches? I know about the pyramid pro but that costs a little more then I want to spend. Same with the rota-pan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly, love the Garrett riffles, but the Proline wide bottom. Didn't think I would like the blue, but I am getting where I like it as well as the green.
x2 on the wide bottom,I dont know who made my favorite pan,but its 14" and has a huge bottom

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone have a link for a pan 18 inches or bigger for sale? I usually have pretty good luck finding stuff with google searches and other internet searches but for a really big pan I been pretty unsucessful so far. So far the biggest gold pan I have been able to find for sale is 17 inches wide; that comes in two types a proline and a basic black pan, both avaliable at a couple places. I really want something bigger, like 18, 20 or even 24 inches. And not one of those expensive rotapans or the other one that costs over 130 bucks.

I have a 16 blue inch pan I bought at one of the gold and treasure shows last year (and its not big enough for me anyway), but it has broken several times already because it is cheaply made and very thin. I have used liquid nail to repair it four times now, but I would rather just upgrade to something better as it will probably fail (again) the next time I use it. One of the the reasons I need this pan is because I have access to a spot on private property with a decent amount of fines, but the owner thinks me using anything other then a pan is bad. I have tried to explain the benefits of dredging, sluicing etc, but he still wont go for it. Also a big pan is great for sampling because the bigger of an area you can test, the more precise your sample will be.

I thought about making a batea but that seems rather hard and time consuming (I still might go this route though if I cant find a big enough pan for sale). I have even checked out garbage can lids online and lots of different cooking pans, anything that might potentially work but havent had any luck.

So anyone know where to get gold pans bigger then 18 inches? I know about the pyramid pro but that costs a little more then I want to spend. Same with the rota-pan.

You don't need some extra big ass pan AB . Move on dude .

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My neighbor has Dish TV. I joked about the dish being a good gold pan. Now it might not be such a joke.

OP
OP
Astrobouncer

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Thanks guys, I was able to get a big pan locally almost by accident. I been busy with work lately and one day during the week we had to stop at an Ace Hardware store in Easley, SC to grab some hardware for a job we were working on. At that hardware store they had a whole stack of kids sleds that looked perfect for what I needed, and best of all only 9 bucks.

On the left is my repaired 16" pan. On the right is the 26" sled that is about 3 1/2 inches deep which is perfect in that its not too deep. And if it can support the weight of a 70 pound kid it should do ok with some 4 mesh :

And yea I know how heavy they can be, I neglected to mention I been using a water fall fountain mold sometimes to pan that is 7 inches deep by 22 inches wide. But the panning technique with it is similar to the maverick gold pan which I dont like so I rarely use it anymore. Here's a pic of that one next to my 16 inch wide pan:

Anyway I been swamped with work at the job so no time to try the new pan out, but soon. Plus I finally got my 2 1/2 dredge combo done and running so I will probably film with that this weekend.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang Astro, I hope your elbows and wrists are up to swirling that monster:laughing7:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant wait to see the video :icon_thumleft:

kmil10

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Astrobouncer said:
Thanks guys, I was able to get a big pan locally almost by accident. I been busy with work lately and one day during the week we had to stop at an Ace Hardware store in Easley, SC to grab some hardware for a job we were working on. At that hardware store they had a whole stack of kids sleds that looked perfect for what I needed, and best of all only 9 bucks.

On the left is my repaired 16" pan. On the right is the 26" sled that is about 3 1/2 inches deep which is perfect in that its not too deep. And if it can support the weight of a 70 pound kid it should do ok with some 4 mesh :

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/010rfp.jpg/

And yea I know how heavy they can be, I neglected to mention I been using a water fall fountain mold sometimes to pan that is 7 inches deep by 22 inches wide. But the panning technique with it is similar to the maverick gold pan which I dont like so I rarely use it anymore. Here's a pic of that one next to my 16 inch wide pan:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/9/028wky.jpg/

Anyway I been swamped with work at the job so no time to try the new pan out, but soon. Plus I finally got my 2 1/2 dredge combo done and running so I will probably film with that this weekend.

That's the ticket right there. Best part is going to be the "Guns" built up from working that "pan". Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread