Whats the biggest gold pan out there to buy?

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Anyone have a link for a pan 18 inches or bigger for sale? I usually have pretty good luck finding stuff with google searches and other internet searches but for a really big pan I been pretty unsucessful so far. So far the biggest gold pan I have been able to find for sale is 17 inches wide; that comes in two types a proline and a basic black pan, both avaliable at a couple places. I really want something bigger, like 18, 20 or even 24 inches. And not one of those expensive rotapans or the other one that costs over 130 bucks.

I have a 16 blue inch pan I bought at one of the gold and treasure shows last year (and its not big enough for me anyway), but it has broken several times already because it is cheaply made and very thin. I have used liquid nail to repair it four times now, but I would rather just upgrade to something better as it will probably fail (again) the next time I use it. One of the the reasons I need this pan is because I have access to a spot on private property with a decent amount of fines, but the owner thinks me using anything other then a pan is bad. I have tried to explain the benefits of dredging, sluicing etc, but he still wont go for it. Also a big pan is great for sampling because the bigger of an area you can test, the more precise your sample will be.

I thought about making a batea but that seems rather hard and time consuming (I still might go this route though if I cant find a big enough pan for sale). I have even checked out garbage can lids online and lots of different cooking pans, anything that might potentially work but havent had any luck.

So anyone know where to get gold pans bigger then 18 inches? I know about the pyramid pro but that costs a little more then I want to spend. Same with the rota-pan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WolfgangStiller

Aug 20, 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, ProPointer, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you considered Fossiker's PyramidPro Pan? It's a good way to process a lot of material without a sluice.

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Hello Astrobouncer,

If you haven't tried it yet go for a garrett super sluice 15' really heavy duty, holds it's form well, nice and heavy duty. Busted a few pans myself but not this beast, plus it has nice deep riffles so you can pan the light stuff off quickly. Comes with a nice hole in the rim so I can zip tie it to my pack with a heavy duty reusable zip tie. Good luck and go for a homemade betea too, I like the wood ones and the metal ones made from 50 gln drums that they form by beating into a hole in the ground if I recall right. Have fun and big nuggets to you!!

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
These guys have the largest list of pans, but nothing bigger than the proline. I gave away a garrett, and replace with a 14 in proline, blue. Didn't think I would like it, but seems to be working well. I loved the riffles on the Garrett, but what I like about the Proline is how big the diameter of the bottom of the pan is. This is a must in areas with lots of black sand... JMHO

Gold Pans, Kits Digital Metal Detectors, Prospecting Equipment, Ventura, CA

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 pack 26" diameter $29.95 :icon_thumright:

Amazon.com: Paricon Flying Saucer Sled (3-Pack): Sports & Outdoors

41M59Z4UODL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I thought you hadda go to the amazon and get a Chinese hat Gold Pan :tongue3:

LaToucheGoldPanning2.jpg

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Astro there is a site online that sells big steel bateas . Pricey $120

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
honestly....the pans of the 1850's were 18+,and are often called milk pans now.They were made of 5 pieces.I have been going to do a post on them,but have not got around to it.I will snap some pictures of mine when I get a chance(I dont use mine)Now,they are different than the pans you are used to,but they work

tin milk pan antique primitive New England hand worked - Primitives

Last edited:
OP
OP
Astrobouncer

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
@Wolfgang, I thought about it but its kinda out of my budget, maybe in the future.

@Gravelwasher Yeah I been eyeballing that pan have used it a couple times at Thermal when buddies had one. I know they are super heavy duty but I really wish it was bigger.

@Oakview, thanks, lots of pans but I need big!
@Goodyguy, that's pretty much what I was looking for. And they have them used for 23 bucks, I will probably try em out.

@Jeff That kind of pan is exactly what I want. Probably will have to build it myself though so that idea is on hold for now.

@Rodoconner Thanks I didnt know that, just wish they were cheaper, that's a bit out of my budget too.

@Kuger, great pics man, love them, would love to see more! I would definitely use a pan like that if I could find it. I will look around and see what milk pan stuff I can find online.

Thanks for all the replies.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Astro

Much bigger than 17 inches and deep will wear you out in a hurry, borrow someones big pro line, and I think it will spread the material out well enough that it will make it much easier to seaparate black sands from gold... JMHO

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a wood Batea too,it is a real art to use them!!!As Oak said,big pans can be a bear to "run",after a while

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
many years ago i met a man using a metal oil pan to pan with, it was 18" x 4" and he was moving a lot of material.
he would fill up the pan and shake it down and refill it and shake it down. then put the concentrated material in to a regular gold pan to finish it.
you would have to have a Strong back to do this for any length of time.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoodGuy and Leadnugget - very good thinking out of the box fellas.

Astro you might search for cooking wok's. I've a 14" one, I'd guess they have some larger ones. Cost Plus Imports.

You might also look around for a company that does metal spinning as you might get lucky and find they have a left over piece of a large diameter spun aluminum that fits your needs.

Then of course Harbor Freight has some very large Stainless Steel Bowls and then they might have that old time metal oil pan.

As you've become an expert with liquid nails you could use it to make riffles in any sort of smooth pan.

Good luck with your quest!..............63bkpkr

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my pack is green keene 3/8 classifier Then a proline blue for the reason Fullpan mentioned...If I could get a wide bootom like that with the Garret riffles I would be happy..and i keep those in a black plastic 18x4 oil drip pan...and i absolutely use it as a pan to pre wash before I finish pan and then use it as my safety pan.It is very handy and when you stack all three it is only like 6 inches of depth and fits perfect in my A.L.I.C.E. pack and would fit in your pack too, Astro they are light sturdy and cheap as crap.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ KUGER.....I can't find my like a lot button cool pics.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Split a bottle of whiskey with me and I'll help ya get this one...

Big ass pan 2013-02-01 at 5.04.06 PM.png

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Exactly, love the Garrett riffles, but the Proline wide bottom. Didn't think I would like the blue, but I am getting where I like it as well as the green.

In my pack is green keene 3/8 classifier Then a proline blue for the reason Fullpan mentioned...If I could get a wide bootom like that with the Garret riffles I would be happy..and i keep those in a black plastic 18x4 oil drip pan...and i absolutely use it as a pan to pre wash before I finish pan and then use it as my safety pan.It is very handy and when you stack all three it is only like 6 inches of depth and fits perfect in my A.L.I.C.E. pack and would fit in your pack too, Astro they are light sturdy and cheap as crap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread