Whats the most valuable coin YOUVE ever discovered?

What was it's value? (in US dollars)

• Total voters

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's the most valuable coin YOU'VE ever discovered?

Shouldn't be replying because i no longer have coin but beleive it or not,i found a 1943 Copper wheat but lost it with-in 15min.of owning it!...It was REAL&RIGHT AS RAIN :'(,GREAT Coins people&Great question!!!
DIG DEEP&LOOK CLOSE!!

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT

It's not a matter of what it is worth but today I stopped to talk to Kane 23 & while shooting the bull he popped out a 1927 standing liberty hands it to me and says merry Xmas. what a guy.

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series

Eagles Dancing ... nice spoof. Unfortunately you chose probably the two rarest coins in U.S. history. There is only one 1849 double eagle known to exist. It was a pattern coin and not meant for release to the public. The sole example is in the Smithsonian. The other 1933 Double Eagle marked the end of the $20 gold piece run and also was not released to the public. Although between 12-25 are known to have left the Philadelphia mint under the table. One found it's way to a world reknowned collector, Egypt's Prince Farouk, who applied for and received an export license for the coin back in the 1940's. That coin by virtue of the Treasury's export license is the only "legal" example of that year.

In August 2005, the United States Mint recovered ten unauthorized 1933 Double Eagle coins from a private collector who had contacted the United States Mint to facilitate their surrender. Joan S. Langbord has claimed that she inherited the coins from her father, a suspect in the original theft, but is now planning a federal suit to recover the coins after her hopes of receiving monetary compensation from the federal government were not realized. As of August 2005, the Mint has announced that it would consider saving the coins for display, though as of December 2007, no formal statement has since been made.

The chances that you have a genuine example of both the first and last double eagles is akin to winning Powerball twice a week for a month.

Please convince this skeptic otherwise. :wink:

Jan 10, 2009

Hyperion, here is a picture taken with our coins on the local paper.

Is that proof for you?

coins 001.jpg

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series

Eagles Dancing,

Are you coins genuine or copies? There are copies of these two rarities to be had. You need to have the 1849 evaluated by a reputable grading and authentification service (I recommend PCGS). If genuine, congratulations you just won "Powerball". The sale price of that piece could realistically match the sale price of the one legal 1933 $20 Gold ($7.8 million). The 1933 is illegal to own so if it is genuine it is the property of the U.S. government. I would imagine the Secret Service is checking you out as we speak. If you attempt to have it certified and it turns out to be genuine, it will be confiscated and you will not be compensated for your loss.

There is a rich history surrounding the 1933 Double Eagle and most of it is available online. This includes current litigation by the former owner of those pieces confiscated in 2005.

My skepticism continues due to the availability of copies. I would love to eat crow here as these types of discoveries shake the coin collecting world by the roots. A double-whammy like this is unprecedented in numismatics.

Jan 10, 2009

Hyperion,

I kind of know about the copies of the 1933 coins, but have you really seen any copies of the 1849 coin?

I have only seen the pictures of the one in the Smithsonian and our is exactly like it. Even the numbers aren't lined up exact like the one in the Smithsonian.

Like I said, these were giving to us by a family member before he died. He told us the story of his find and wanted us to have them. He really thought a lot of my husband and I really can't picture him playing such a mean trick on him. His widow doesn't return any of our calls and I am afraid it is because she doesn't want to be involved with any problems that may arise from these coins.

My husband's father died at an early age of 48 and then my husband was in a serious accident that has comprimised his spine a great deal. I think this family member wanted us to have the coins because he knows how hard we struggle just to keep going and his family is well off.

I hope nothing bad comes out of this post from Uncle Sam's department, but if you were in our position and going through such a hardship, what would you do?

The good Lord knows we could use the money. We need to build a handicap accessible house for my husband because he is getting worse little by little.

Some folks have told us to leave the country and sell the coins, but I have sick family members that I care for and I can't leave them. They have no one else to care for them.

I just pray things will turn out for the best and we will find a solution that works out for the best.

What would you do in our position?

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series

Eagles Dancing,

You asked if there are copies of the 1849 ... just google "1849 double eagle proof" and see.

The 1933 will be a problem for you and I told you about all I can. Let's agree to not discuss it further.

The 1849 should not be a problem. Not all gold coins minted prior to 1933 were required to be turned to the government. On the contrary, those that had "numismatic significance" or collector value were exempted. The 1849 has definite numismatic significance and ownership should not be an issue. The known history of the coin (officially designated a pattern, not a coin) is here: http://www.coinfacts.com/double_eagles/liberty_no_motto_double_eagles/1849_double_eagle.htm. There were two produced ... one is in the Smithsonian and the other was privately sold and is currently unaccounted for. Do you have this second piece? Realistically, probably not. But you need have it evaluated by experts.
What should you do?
1. Handle the coin minimally and only by the edges (cotton gloves preferred)
2. Weigh the coin on a digital scale. The genuine article will weigh 33.4 grams. Copies are usually not gold and will weigh significantly less
3. If it makes weight, get it into a safety deposit box now.
4. Consider getting insurance for it.
5. Contact PCGS via telephone (1-800-447-8848) M-F 7am-5pm PST and explain to them what you have and ask for someone higher up than the customer service desk to direct you on how to proceed. Follow their instructions to the letter.
6. Lastly, keep us up to date on the progress and remember me in your will. :wink:

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250

Let me guess, your uncle left you some diamonds, but you need a deposit to get them out of Nigeria. :thumbsup:

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector

A 2001 gold one dollar coin, Oh well

pigeonman

Jan 29, 2008
Salem NJ
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

1795 1/2 dime in good condition.$1500-2000

mark.

Apr 13, 2006

I found this one with a borrowed detector at a festival site popular in the 1800's.................

1876front.jpg

1876back.jpg

Value? Unsure but I'd guess around $300.00..........see ya mark

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500

Found an 1892 S Barber Dime in Fine Condition. Only 900,000 minted. Prob worth around 100. Funny thing is that I found it my first year of detecting. Only found 13 silver coins that year. Among them were 1892 Barber Dime, 1892 S Barber Dime, and 1892 O Barber Dime. All three varieties in my first year.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008

1912 s cent.

Oldest would have to be a 1590's 4 maravedis coin found on the beach at the San Augustin wreck site. First time on a beach looking for stuff from a wreck, and I find one of the oldest coins in the US.

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

I found a 1829 curled base2 capped bust dime back in 2002 , was graded a g-8 ,, sold it at st. louis coin show for $2000 dollars, did not get a picture of it .
it went to a collector in dallas tx. i have his card in my wallet, he said he has been collecting for 40+ yrs. and has seen only 2 of that kind.
It was found in jaser IN. at a place called the shiloh meeting house very old area,,, thanks for reading,,,,art

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

a crete / under greek control 1901 silver 2 drachma coin of which only 175,000 were made (it was mixed in the 10 cent junk coins trash box --the coin shop guy must have thought is was a later copper nickel type common greek coin - it was about Vf condition -- which book priced at $100 us ---gave it as a gift to a greek freind on mine .

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1885 V nickle. I sold it for less then it was worth but gas was 403 a gallon last summer and the extra loot helped .It was worn almost smooth but you could still read the date.

zmemarine

Feb 6, 2008

I found a 1983 Double die reverse two weeks ago in a roll of pennies. It grades around xf to au.

Semper Fi

Attachments

• 1983ddr.jpg
    1983ddr.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,958
  • 1983ddr5.jpg
    1983ddr5.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,944
  • 1983ddr.jpg
    1983ddr.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,911
  • 1983ddr5.jpg