whats the real deal!!!

I

idig3

what's the real deal!!!

with brand loyalty will we ever know which machines are actually best. Set aside all the extra features and bells and whistles, are they all pretty close. Take a vlf machine from every brand same in frequency , and coil size I think they will all compare pretty close.So
the real question is what makes one better? Does frequency low vs high, single vs multi.
Let's set aside PI, and saltwater beach hunting, and stick to dry land mild mineralization as
a scenario. Using it as a coin, jewelry and relic machine.People say they have tried every machine and there whites or tesoro or minelab or fisher out preformed the others. I know alot of it has to do with getting to know your machine, but is there and ideal frequency, technology, coil size.And is there a brand that does better in one of those certain categories

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: what's the real deal!!!

Maybe

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.

idig3 said:
with brand loyalty will we ever know which machines are actually best. Set aside all the extra features and bells and whistles, are they all pretty close. Take a vlf machine from every brand same in frequency , and coil size I think they will all compare pretty close.So
the real question is what makes one better? Does frequency low vs high, single vs multi.
Let's set aside PI, and saltwater beach hunting, and stick to dry land mild mineralization as
a scenario.
When you rule out all that, you end up with what sounds like the proverbial "laboratory conditions". If you only want a MD that can find ferrous objects in sterilized soil, you could use a magnet.
Using it as a coin, jewelry and relic machine.People say they have tried every machine and there whites or tesoro or minelab or fisher out preformed the others.
I've never used, nor even touched one of those newer machines. Every machine I have used, (apart from an early encounter with something from Radio Shack), has been 20 plus years old, (or older than some of the posters on here).
I know alot of it has to do with getting to know your machine, but is there and ideal frequency, technology, coil size.
Its a Zen thing. You need to become one with the machine.
And is there a brand that does better in one of those certain categories
As has been put so eloquently by others, Yes, Maybe. Depends on what you want to do with the machine and where and under what conditions the machine is to be used. Some MD's perform flawlessly under some circumstances, conditions and locations. And the machine doesn't have to be a new brand name MD, nor does it have to be popular.

F.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Well i have said it b4 i dont push any machine on anyone but this ia my experience.
I started out and hunted with a cz7A pro from fisher for about 3 years.Then when minelab came out i tried one that a friend had.
I bought one the next day.So all i can say is that in my case yes there was a difference in machines.
but the big thing again is you cant throw out the learning to use your machine part.If you by a DFX and know how to use it then you will find more than someone who does not know how to use it.
You hear stories about how this machine missed that or vie versa.So i would say luck and where you swing has to do with it also....
HH

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

in all seriousness if Frequency Matters.

Multi Frequence should take care of them all

westernNY

Greenie
Nov 26, 2005

been swinging machines since 1975 and each machine regardless how good - takes time to understand its performance. Have a friend hunting with a Minelab explorer and I use a White Spectrum. We do a lot of hunting together, mostly field oriented. I consider our talents in handling the respective detectors above aveage. However - it appears one day my friend has best find - and next day it may be mine. A machines performance in my opinion is strictly the skill of operator and frequency of usage - plus a lot of luck.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok dry land only, mild mineralization, coin shooting, and maybe jewelry??? In the hands of a pro...Lets not talk about operators....(I know how important that is) Machine only...That is the way it is here in my area, and thats what I do....So lets hear it guys, what in your opinion is the best????

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

guess i couldnt really pick one..but any machine is only as good as the person behind it.
If i say minelab someone else will dfx,plus all the beach machines out there.
I have used fisher and minelab and i think they are both good machines.
But my #1 coice is minelab........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread