Whats the scariest thing thats happened to you while detecting?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

My friend and I was walking in the woods many years ago in RI looking for the Lost City :o We came upon a man whom owned the property sitting in the truck ::) we got to talking come to find out many years ago he owned all the land in where the lost city was. :icon_thumleft: His wife & him went out to dinner one eve came to find out that the house was torched by teenagers with nothing to do They last everything. it was sad :-[ He asked us my friend and i Would you like to see the Lost city ??? we said Sure :o ;D so it was really cool he did say that may persons went up there to metal detect ::) :o But they all turned around as soon as they saw him A few spoke with him but he told the few theres no metaldetecting here I guess we were the lucky ones cause I had my Garrett ace 250 I could not detect but I got pictures of the lost city . it now owned the land by a big coporation there and the cellar hols now may have long been destroyed. ??? :dontknow:
This is My True to life esp my friend an I discovered the Lost city in Rhoad Island and he only lives up the street from it. ;D :icon_thumleft: :hello2:

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20

Alright, I have already told my scariest moment detecting, but I also there to witness my good friend Dawn's son's scariest moment and brothers and sisters, it was pretty scary.
The Port Mansfield cut is about twenty two miles North of the Queen Isabella Causeway on South Padre Island. The only way to get there via land is to drive the beach so you better have your 4wd ready.
We took off one Sat morning about two years ago with Dawn's 14 yr old son who wanted to fish at the jetties on the cut. We were rolling up the beach by about 9:00 AM. Once we left the hard top at the last beach access north a sudden thought hit me. Just about 3 miles north of the last beach access is where the nudist hang out, and that is not a pun. I asked Dawn who was driving us in her Nissan 4x4 truck if she knew about the nudist. "Heck no. This is my first time driving up the beach!".
I felt sorta bad but told her it was usually only a few people especially this time of the morning. About this moment her son spotted a lady sitting in the front of her vehicle in a lawn chair with nothing on but a smile. She was not a spring chicken and had the furnature disease, you know, when your chest falls down into you drawers? "Oh S**t!!" Dawn's son exclaimed. About this time the lady's husband walked from behind the vehicle on full display, like a rooster who knows dawn is 5 min away. Of course the gentleman looked to be 9 months pregnant and about to deliver a case of Budwiser. "NO, NO!! I heard Dawns son exclaim from the back. I looked over and Dawn was laughing her rear off. What ensued was about a mile where we saw about 12 couples disrobed. None of them looked like Vin Diesel or J Lo, not even close. I don't' think a single one was under 65. As a matter of fact the boy who was all excited to understand we were going through a nude area minutes ago was aghast that none of them looked like a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader.
I looked back to Dawn's boy and calmly said "Well buddy, they don't all look like Swedish swimsuit models do they?".
We detected until about 4:00PM and on the way back, and I lie to you not, this 14 year old put a towel over his head when we reached the nude area!!
Was he scarred for life?? Maybe a little, but he no longer thinks "Nude Beach' is synonymous with "Sexy looking chicks"!!!

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NOw Now That's Funny :laughing7:I am so sorry But that one takes the cake :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

21stTNCav said:
Alright, I have already told my scariest moment detecting, but I also there to witness my good friend Dawn's son's scariest moment and brothers and sisters, it was pretty scary.
The Port Mansfield cut is about twenty two miles North of the Queen Isabella Causeway on South Padre Island. The only way to get there via land is to drive the beach so you better have your 4wd ready.
We took off one Sat morning about two years ago with Dawn's 14 yr old son who wanted to fish at the jetties on the cut. We were rolling up the beach by about 9:00 AM. Once we left the hard top at the last beach access north a sudden thought hit me. Just about 3 miles north of the last beach access is where the nudist hang out, and that is not a pun. I asked Dawn who was driving us in her Nissan 4x4 truck if she knew about the nudist. "Heck no. This is my first time driving up the beach!".
I felt sorta bad but told her it was usually only a few people especially this time of the morning. About this moment her son spotted a lady sitting in the front of her vehicle in a lawn chair with nothing on but a smile. She was not a spring chicken and had the furnature disease, you know, when your chest falls down into you drawers? "Oh S**t!!" Dawn's son exclaimed. About this time the lady's husband walked from behind the vehicle on full display, like a rooster who knows dawn is 5 min away. Of course the gentleman looked to be 9 months pregnant and about to deliver a case of Budwiser. "NO, NO!! I heard Dawns son exclaim from the back. I looked over and Dawn was laughing her rear off. What ensued was about a mile where we saw about 12 couples disrobed. None of them looked like Vin Diesel or J Lo, not even close. I don't' think a single one was under 65. As a matter of fact the boy who was all excited to understand we were going through a nude area minutes ago was aghast that none of them looked like a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader.
I looked back to Dawn's boy and calmly said "Well buddy, they don't all look like Swedish swimsuit models do they?".
We detected until about 4:00PM and on the way back, and I lie to you not, this 14 year old put a towel over his head when we reached the nude area!!
Was he scarred for life?? Maybe a little, but he no longer thinks "Nude Beach' is synonymous with "Sexy looking chicks"!!!

Poor guy....he is definitely scarred for life...btw, why is it that 99.999% of nudists are are people you don't want to see in the nude?

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

warsawdaddy said:
Sharing a room with Baldingboy!

WSD, that is a comment I would have expected from Mastereagle! ;D :thumbsup:

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Many brands, Magnetometer, GPR, Side Scan, etc.

21thTN Cav:
Your nude story was great and triggered a nude memory of my own... My wife and I were doing a Nuclear project and decided to buy a travel trailer because our friends had found a real bargain. A co-worker said he knew where there were several cheap ones that were in good shape BUT we'd have to make a reservation to see them... We called the "White Tail Campground" and made a reservation, never thinking about the name. We drove to Ivor, VA and were "buzzed" into the gate. The receptionist in the office was bare as a newborn, it was a nudist campground, which my wife and I accepted in stride, until the receptionist announced on the speaker system that went out all over the campground of many acres: "Mr and Mrs Ray are here to see BOB (the campground supervisor), here came BOB on his golf cart, nude as a jaybird... Taking us all over to see several travel trailers and plenty of people playing volleyball and other games. Unlike your story there were plenty of beautiful younger nudist, with their children. Turned out that some of the people staying there were people we worked with... Highly Emberracing. My wife ended up buying souvenirs at the office and we bought a 26 ft travel trailer. The reason they couldn't sell the surplus of trailers was they were unable to advertise them... But it was a real experience for us and everybody treated us with respect. We figured out what the "White Tail" name meant even though their logo showed a deer...
Richard

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

21stTNCav said:
"Well buddy, they don't all look like Swedish swimsuit models do they?".
Yeah, my girlly friend took me to metal detect the nude Haulover Beach one morning. Buncha men there.
I told her, "That was way too much d-ck, before coffee!
That 14 yrs old was smart, some things, ya just don't wanna see!

Boomdeyada

Dec 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000

The scariest thing that ever happen to me wa not to long ago when I was in the woods by the river and heard the growl of a mountain lion really close.
I put my feet in my pocket and ran like heck! Haven't been back at all.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20

pat-tekker-cat said:
21stTNCav said:
Yeah, my girlly friend took me to metal detect the nude Haulover Beach one morning. Buncha men there.

Ahhhh now your motives for going to that beach are in question cat. We had to pass through that nude area to get where we were going, but you were detecting a nude beach and we all know there ain't nuthin fallin outta those pockets!! :laughing7: :laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

21stTNCav said:
pat-tekker-cat said:
21stTNCav said:
Ahhhh now your motives for going to that beach are in question cat. We had to pass through that nude area to get where we were going, but you were detecting a nude beach and we all know there ain't nuthin fallin outta those pockets!! :laughing7: :laughing7:
We had parked down by the inlet there, and my friend was wanting to go back toward the north, I did not even KNOW, there was a nude beach there! I don't do Dade County, except to get to the Keys.
But the strippers that showed up as we were leaving, sure were dripping with the jewelry! The guys had chains, rings, bracelts, I was kinda surprised.
I have NO desire to go back there, trust me!

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've had my share of scary things happening while detecting. I was nugget hunting once and saw another prospector get chased by a bear. I've had my own encounter with a bear too . I've also had a encounter with a mountain lion. I've been chased by javelinas. I've had alot of close calls with rattle snakes and I've been bit twice. I almost got attacked by a gator when I was visiting family in Louisiana and I was detecting their property. My brother almost caused us to get attacked by a wolf. I was chased by pittbulls , rottweilers and dobermans when I was detecting in Los Angeles. I was detecting a old house in a certain ghost town and I was walking around the old house and when I walked through the door way to go from the kitchen to the livingroom, all of a sudden I looked up and I saw a man standing almost face to face with me.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Cherokee_Kidd said:
I've had my share of scary things happening while detecting. I was nugget hunting once and saw another prospector get chased by a bear. I've had my own encounter with a bear too . I've also had a encounter with a mountain lion. I've been chased by javelinas. I've had alot of close calls with rattle snakes and I've been bit twice. I almost got attacked by a gator when I was visiting family in Louisiana and I was detecting their property. My brother almost caused us to get attacked by a wolf. I was chased by pittbulls , rottweilers and dobermans when I was detecting in Los Angeles. I was detecting a old house in a certain ghost town and I was walking around the old house and when I walked through the door way to go from the kitchen to the livingroom, all of a sudden I looked up and I saw a man standing almost face to face with me.

Dude! :hello: You got to take off that Steak Jacket - BEFORE - you go detecting! :laughing7: Sorry, can't help you with the ghost thing. 1-800-GHOST-BUSTERS? :help:

Seriously though Kidd, you have been through more than most. Wow! :thumbsup:

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

thrillathahunt said:
warsawdaddy said:
Sharing a room with Baldingboy!

WSD, that is a comment I would have expected from Mastereagle! ;D :thumbsup:
The first night,it was late and I was in bed.I heard him open the door and the first words out of his mouth was,'honey,I'm home',yep,I got scared.

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It wasn't a ghost. Yeah I know I have bad luck.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"I was walking around the old house and when I walked through the doorway to go from the kitchen to the livingroom, all of a sudden I looked up and saw a man standing almost face to face with me."

OMG, the horror! It is a good thing he didn't have on a hockey mask and a butcher knife in his hand! :o :o :o

Great stories!

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah I know, even without the mask or knife it still scared me.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer

Almost stepped in some fresh droppings and looked at it for three seconds before I realized it was from a bear. And it was so fresh that I looked up and the bear was a few yards in front of me. It turned around long enough to see me and I made enough noise at that time so both of us turned tail and went our own way. It was a young black bear almost full grown.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread