Whats the scariest thing thats happened to you while detecting?

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's the scariest thing that's happened to you while detecting?

About a month ago I was hunting baseball/soccer field in a bad part of town and after having my head down for a few minutes I looked up and say 2 rough looking guys walking towards me from about 50 yards away and they looked pissed off. I just put my head down and kept hunting, looking up every so often to see how close they were. When I looked up and saw they were about 30ft away and looking (what seemed to be) directly at me, one of them mumbled "we should jack his S#*%" but I wasn't phased and I dropped my head back down and started hunting again. They walked passed me so close that I could have reached out and touched them. Just then they started yelling profanities and fists started flying. It turned out that they were not looking at me at all but at 2 others that were walking towards me from the other direction. They just happened to start throwing down right where I was standing. I watched for a while but when it became a crowd of 8 people yelling at each other and trying to start more fights I decided that maybe it was time to move on. I was expecting to see or hear some weapons but thankfully that didn't happen.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011

Three months ago i spent the night on the San Francisco River in Arizona beneath a cave opening high up on a cliff. It was late and i was tired, so i camped there. About 2:00 AM i started hearing the calls of the lion cubs inside and shortly after that large stones were falling from the cliff face plunging into the river. Felt like it took another 12 hours for daylight to come. Never saw the mountain lion though, but it impressed on me the difference between being "bone tired" and being "dead meat".

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett

I was working for the Dept of Agriculture on an Oak Wilt program. We located suspect trees from the air,then someone had to confirm. I drove up to an old shack on the far side of the plot, got out hollered for anyone that might be there. An old man with a 12 bore shotgun stepped in front of me,pointing it at me. He asked what I was up to, believe me you can look down the barrels and see 00Buck on the end of the shell. After a few minutes of explanation and helping him round up some skinny cows, he went to the location with me, watched me take a sample, and walked back, later another inspector had to go there, and the old guy wouldnt let him in. We went back and he told the other inspector that Bob wasnt scared of him and he was to wait in the car. Like hell I wasnt afraid. Bob

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lonesomebob said:
I was working for the Dept of Agriculture on an Oak Wilt program. We located suspect trees from the air,then someone had to confirm. I drove up to an old shack on the far side of the plot, got out hollered for anyone that might be there. An old man with a 12 bore shotgun stepped in front of me,pointing it at me. He asked what I was up to, believe me you can look down the barrels and see 00Buck on the end of the shell. After a few minutes of explanation and helping him round up some skinny cows, he went to the location with me, watched me take a sample, and walked back, later another inspector had to go there, and the old guy wouldnt let him in. We went back and he told the other inspector that Bob wasnt scared of him and he was to wait in the car. Like hell I wasnt afraid. Bob

I think I would have had a heart attack!

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All fascinating stories everyone!

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

lonesomebob said:

Reminds me of years ago. With written permission in my pocket and metal detector in my hand I start on this old shack less than a mile from my house at the time. Just as thinks were starting to get good: found a marble and buffalo nickle under the edge of the shack, I hear a vehicle in the area.
I went on about my business and heard an old man scream at me "What the hell do you think you are doing on my property?? " I stand up and turn around, and there is a 12 pump stuck in my face. I had no doubt he was ready and wanting to use it. I did not argue with him, just got the hell out of there.

He was an old man that was about 80. At one time he did own the property. Lucky I knew him and started talking fast. It did work out and I got the hell out of there. I talked to his daughter later, which told me that he had started forgetting things and I was lucky he did not shot me. ( got that idea right of the get go.) I told her she had best take the shot gun and any other weapons away from him before some one did get hurt. It was very shortly after that they put him in a home. I never did go back to that place, LOL

The most interesting part of this is I use to carry a pistol with me everywhere at the time. It was just so close I did not think I would need one.. I would say that part was luck. I suspect if I had of had one: he would have shot first and talked later..

It is a toss up over this incident and the swinging a detector and noticed being straddled over a large rattle snake with scared me more. I did jump further with the snake of course...

Richard Ray

Feb 20, 2011
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Many brands, Magnetometer, GPR, Side Scan, etc.

I was detecting the old ghost town of Summitville, Colorado when and old gentleman that was supposed to have been guarding the gold mine up the road and across from the ghost town approached and waved a gun in my face, conficating my camera. After a long talk he gave my SLR back to me. A few days later I came in from the other direction and happen to rescue his puppy that had fallen into an old privy. After returning the dog, the elder allowed me to detect the old ghost town all I wanted, where I recovered a lot of stuff including a number of old coins...
Richard Ray

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3

Here in Michigan we don't have the snakes but we do have bears,mountain lions,wild hogs,wolves,coyotes, and other land critters that could do damage fast but these aren't what scared the he!! out of me this did.
Last year I was detecting a lake when I noticed something black by the shore didn't think much of since there was alot of black spots in the water dead leafs,branches and silt but then I noticed the it was makeing a bee line strait towards me a snapping turtle I used my scoop to push it away and spent the rest of my time in the water looking over my shoulder. Now I don't mind them when on land because they're slow but in the water wow. lol I think the reason why they freak me out is because when I was a kid we would go fishing and if we caught one or three my uncle would come and get them to make soup but I remember watching them bust 2-3 saplings with ease and thought if it nails my coil I'm screwed lol.

Another one doesn't have to do with detecting but it happened when I used to trap. I was in the bush looking at how I should set up a beaver run when I had this odd feeling that something was watching me then i could here soft foot steps I kept looking at the river while slowly drawing my 9mm I turned just in time to see 6 foot tail about 20 yrds away going over a littl ridge away from me. I pulled my traps and left.
I was happy that I told my 4 yro son to wait with my wife because he wanted to come with.
HH-drewan

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

working a tall grass field came across a snapping turtle about the size of a car tire laying eggs
but the best has to be a killdeer these small birds wait till you almost step on them and jump up to your eye level scream at ya and fly off

cassrh

Greenie
Jan 8, 2010

About two years ago I was detecting a old 1880 era homestead about a mile from my car. It was hot and humid, and worst of all, I was alone. I started feeling funny, and decided to rest and drink some water. As soon as I sat down, a crushing pain hit me in the chest, and I didn't think that I could take a breath. I laid back and drank the water, but the pain wouldn't stop. After about thirty minutes, I was feeling better, and decided I'd better head for the truck. I left everything at the homestead site. When I finally got to the truck the pain had changed to serious gas. I was belching every breath. I managed to drive myself the thirty miles to the hospital. That led to a 100 mile Care-Flite to Ft Worth. It was a heart attack, caused by three blocked arteries, too much smoking, and a high stress job. Triple bypass and three months rehab and boring TV, and I returned for my detector and other gear. My XLT was undamaged, even after a few rains. I'll never hunt alone, even public sites.

zincmaster

Mar 8, 2011
col. ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick draw 2 and at pro

cassrh said:
About two years ago I was detecting a old 1880 era homestead about a mile from my car. It was hot and humid, and worst of all, I was alone. I started feeling funny, and decided to rest and drink some water. As soon as I sat down, a crushing pain hit me in the chest, and I didn't think that I could take a breath. I laid back and drank the water, but the pain wouldn't stop. After about thirty minutes, I was feeling better, and decided I'd better head for the truck. I left everything at the homestead site. When I finally got to the truck the pain had changed to serious gas. I was belching every breath. I managed to drive myself the thirty miles to the hospital. That led to a 100 mile Care-Flite to Ft Worth. It was a heart attack, caused by three blocked arteries, too much smoking, and a high stress job. Triple bypass and three months rehab and boring TV, and I returned for my detector and other gear. My XLT was undamaged, even after a few rains. I'll never hunt alone, even public sites. ( wow glad you are ok)

GringoStarr

Aug 15, 2009
La Florida
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220, Spartan 175, Metrotech 330, Garrett CXiii With Bloodhound Attachment. Garrett Hand Scanner, and others.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Probably the scariest was just a few years ago. I had pulled off a main highway to search an area that was once an old homestead, now only woods. With equipment in hand, I headed into the wooded area. Wouldn't you know I came face to face with a homeless man, over six feet tall. My next words were, "man, you scared the sh*t out of me!" He said, "sorry." Mind you this was after dark, and this brother was hard to see. So, I headed back to my car, stowed the gear in my trunk, and promptly went home.
These days not only am I packin heat, but aspirin too. ;-)

Regards,

The Gringo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread