G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the Scoop?

I have two questions. First, my wife and I decided to cancel our vacation in Paris this year due to the elevated security reasons. So, she decided to go to Florida instead. I tried to get a hotel on the beach but everything is sold out for June and July, understandably so. I booked two weeks at a Marriott in Orlando. I know it is about an hour drive to the beach but does anyone know any good beaches to detect? I am taking my AT-Pro and will get an education as I never used it in salt water. I don't plan to go in over a few inches. Second question is what is a good sand scoop to purchase?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the better sand scoops you can purchase is the Stealth 720i from Sunspot. RTG makes good ones that can break down for travel.
Best of luck.

Have a good trip!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend that you stay on dry sand with the AT PRO.
It is an excellent beach machine but salt water will drive it nuts.
I don't care what Mode you hunt in, or what adjustments you make to the sensitivity, salt water is a conductor and will drive the PRO nuts. It works well in fresh water. If you hunt dry sand, a $20 plastic hand scoop is all you need.
Good luck my friend and say hello to Mickey

Last edited:
OP
OP
G. I. Digger

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the assistance as it means a lot! What is a better machine for salt water. I do not plan to go deep but just a few inches or so? I did read that salt water makes the AT- Pro go fuzzy. Great dry land machine though!
Rich

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the assistance as it means a lot! What is a better machine for salt water. I do not plan to go deep but just a few inches or so? I did read that salt water makes the AT- Pro go fuzzy. Great dry land machine though!
Rich
I use the Excalibur. It is made for salt water hunting and is submersible to 200 feet. It is made by Minelab and has a price tag in the neighborhood of $1,500.
I use it wearing a wet suit and will go chest deep in the water when and where conditions permit. We're talking 6 to 8 hour hunts. I also had to purchase a $200. Beach Brute Sand scoop.
I wouldn't recommend making this investment if you only go to the shore once in awhile.
Good luck buddy.

OP
OP
G. I. Digger

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea what a medium priced Pulse Induction machine costs? I read that the Tesoro Sand Shark is a good machine for approx $600.00.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would have no trouble in the salt or wet sand with the Sand Shark an it is a deep beast. However you'll find every piece of metal in the sand. This wears out many guys.

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Garrett Pro Pointer,Custom Made Sand Scoop,Garrett AT Pinpointer, Whites MX Sport , Eqauinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do some research on Whites Beach Hunter ID 300. You may be surprised. Reading on Beach Hunting here on Tnet there are a lot of posivtive responses. I have a BHID and am going to Mrytle Beach in a couple of weeks and can"t waite to use it down there. I have sen them on Findes web site in the classifieds for anywhere from $400 to $550. New they are around $999. Good Luck . I live about 40 miles from Jefferson Hills. Maybe sometime we can hookup with each other. I"m a retired construction worker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread