Whats the strangest place you have ever found an artifact.

flintchasr

Oct 13, 2010
illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Boots and walking stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bored and was wondering what is the strangest place you have ever found an artifact. Mine I suppose would be in the gravel parking lot of popular arrowhead hunting and fishing spot. I'm certain another artifact hunter had found it and dropped it while returning to his or her vehicle. By the way it was a fairly decent scraper blade. If this snow don't melt i'm gonna have the kids take some of my points and hide them around the house just so I will have something to hunt for. A friend of mine once found a madison point along the mississippi river that was completely encased in ice and was rolling around on the river bank. HH.

Flintchasr

Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't the place but the circumstances of the find for me. I was cutting down some trees on one of my properties that is known to have a point show up from time to time. Most of the ground had 2-4 inches of snow cover with a few bare patches. I set up on a small bare patch to fuel and sharpen my saw. Right in that spot, on the ground, I found a white quartz point with the tip broken off. Most of the time I can look all day and find nothing. :dontknow:

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seen a big dead buck in a field walked over to get its antlers and when i moved the deer there was a point under it only 1 i have found ibn the field to date, and have looked alot. :laughing9:

OP
OP
F

flintchasr

Oct 13, 2010
illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Boots and walking stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trevmma said:
seen a big dead buck in a field walked over to get its antlers and when i moved the deer there was a point under it only 1 i have found ibn the field to date, and have looked alot. :laughing9:

Must have been a good luck buck. lol

OP
OP
F

flintchasr

Oct 13, 2010
illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Boots and walking stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
Wasn't the place but the circumstances of the find for me. I was cutting down some trees on one of my properties that is known to have a point show up from time to time. Most of the ground had 2-4 inches of snow cover with a few bare patches. I set up on a small bare patch to fuel and sharpen my saw. Right in that spot, on the ground, I found a white quartz point with the tip broken off. Most of the time I can look all day and find nothing. :dontknow:

I hear that. Most of the time I can walk a thousand miles and find nothing and then there are other days when i'm not really even hunting and look down and there lays a point. For instance turkey hunting one day on the trail of a hot gobbler I went to jump across a small ditch in the woods in an area that I had never found so much as a flake and I glanced down as I was jumping the ditch and there is the nicest adena I have found to date. And I have looked in that same ditch and the entire area and havent found another point or flake since. I guess I was just in the right place at the right time.

Flintchasr

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I was working construction in a paper mill back in the 90's when I looked down and saw this. :o

Attachments

• clovis.JPG
    clovis.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 758
  • clovis.JPG
    clovis.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 599
M

mickey

a friend of mine found a point while taking a leak at a golf course. another friend found a point in the middle of a high school football game!

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a very nice point in a freshly graveled parking lot, as I opened my door!

Cedar Park, TX

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found some in some odd places, but here's the ones that come to mind.

While we were in Pittsburgh a few years back to watch the MLB All Star game we stayed at a motel about 10 miles away from the stadium. Their parking lot had lots of stones and rocks in the islands where the trees and shrubbery were planted so I just had to look. I found 2 really nice Hammerstones in the rocks around the motel. Both showed good wear and use.

When I was working for a place that sold furniture, appliances, and electronics back around the late 80's to early 90's the guy that owned the place had some dirt brought in to level the back parking lot. After the spread it out and it rained on it a couple of time I was walking to my car and saw a base sticking up out of the ground. I got to looking around and there was flint everywhere. I found that base along with 2 other broken points, a tip, and all kinds of Flint before they finally covered it with gravel. I wish I could have found out where the dirt came from but the guy that delivered it never came back around.

Another time I was going to take a drug test at an office in Columbus and as I was walking in I glanced over at the rocks around the bushes out front and found a decent little Scraper just laying there plain as day. I'm sure people had been walking by it for a long time.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My strangest find was my first find. I worked at a Golf Course when i was 18. We had just cut a path on the mountain and cleared out the brush and trees. After doing this we cut out a T-Off in the side of the mountain. I had to rake the stones out of this fresh cut-out and while i was raking I see this odd shaped stone. It was shaped like a whale tale. I picked it up and looked at it and found a perfect drill hole through the center of it. I at first thought it was a Tomahawk :laughing7: and showed the other guys. Well a buddy of mine who collected artifacts already told me what it was "A Whale Tail Bannerstone" and it was perfect except for the scratch i put in it with the rake. I found out later that where the river was, there was a village. On the side of a mountain though :icon_scratch: So I am thinking possibly it was a rogue loss. I still hunt that river and find chips and points.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the late 60's I lived in SE Oklahoma in a prime arrowhead huntin area. I came upon and old home place one day and found their trash dump so I looked through that. Nothin real old, but there was an old radio in a wood case and someone had wedged an arrowhead between the outer veneer and the radio case. The strangest circumstance I found an artifact in was one day I was 3/4 way up Long Mt., in an area that Indians didn't build towns, and felt the call of nature. So while squatting beside a pine tree I noticed half a point. A year later, I was back up in the same spot, lookin around and found the other half of the point.

Edmundruffin

Aug 17, 2010
West Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Groundhawk for metal, eyeballs for stone
I was tearing down an old house to salvage enough lumber to build a hunting shack when we removet the kitchen cabinet from the wall there was an old canning jar with 58 indian head and wheat pennies, a old boker knife and 16 nice arrowheads. The jar must have gotten pushed back out of sight.

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
Great question! Mine was behind home plate of my little league field. Bent down to pick up a foul ball and came up with my first point (which I later learned was a knife). Little did I know it would be 20 years before I found my next. Several hundred later, it still sits in the middle of one of my frames.

OP
OP
F

flintchasr

Oct 13, 2010
illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Boots and walking stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I know one thing for sure I'll probably never pass another landscaped area that has rock and gravel in it. One more I forgot about. About a year ago my uncle and I were talking about arrowhead hunting which he has no interest in and then out of the blue he told he had an indian rock ( that is what he calls them) that he had found in the flower bed of the house he purchased a few years ago. So of course I had to see it. He brings out a really nice discoidal which he had let his grandkids play with which is now covered in crayon. I asked him if he would part with it but he said the grandkids enjoy it to much. Maybe one day he will part with it when his grandkids get older. HH

Flintchasr

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golf courses must be good places because I found one along the edge of a tee box in WI about 15 years ago.

The one I found last year is a funny story. A group of us were metal detecting a forest preserve on a weekend
and while walking through a wooded parking lot island, I found a nice point at the base of a tree. When I showed
everyone what I found, one of the guys asked if it was by a small tree near the parking lot and when I told him
it was, he said he dug that point a week earlier while recovering a Mercury dime. He said that when he dug it the
week before he really wasn't interested in keeping it so he tossed it by the tree :D

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I have found arrowheads and partials on football fields, baseball fields, graded roads, my driveway, dam rip-rap...but the strangest place I ever found one was embedded in my foot. I hopped out of the boat too quickly and wound up with a Standlee firmly embedded in my bare foot.

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Searched my acreage farmlands high and low have a broke to show for it,but pulled a crude axe out of the creek bank wich is around 30ft from the front door of the house.Last summer excavated a large ornamental koi fish ponds off the S.E. corner of the house and collected some worked chert stones ,chips,flakes ,and to seal the deal a broke point corner clearly notched.

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Well about 6 years ago me and a buddy started renting a house together right in the center of town. There was a small storage shed out in the backyard, and when it rained the water had started washing away the ground near the downspout. I was getting the lawn mower out of the shed and right in the was of the downspout was a nice little point. My friend, who had seen my collection before was in shock. His initial reaction was "Do arrowheads follow you everywhere you go?!? Impossible!"

Steven X

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread