Whats the strangest thing you have found Metal Detecting?

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

coinshooterdfx

Greenie
Nov 11, 2012
Intriguing ! Got my interest what is the story behind it?

Found it several years ago in Northeast Ohio while detecting a wooded area behind my parents house. My first thought was I had found a murder scene but after looking around a bit more I found some pieces of deer hide. I suspect it was never found by the person who arrowed it and coyotes did? My coolest and weirdest find to date.

RushinPA

Mar 11, 2010
Gardners, PA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, F-75
Beefy,

I know exactly how that chain got there. When I was a teenager, we were pulling out logs for the sawmill. Had a chain on a large log, frozen to the ground. Pulling and yanking, which we should not have done, the chain broke. All I saw was a blur heading up over the ridge, higher into the trees. We were lucky.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My strangest find was at a local middle school, a 38 snub nose revolver................(capgun after further investigation) but its a nice old toy you know the ones that weren't cheap plastic crap like now, it looked very real, and I am a gunsmith by trade....

I find alot of bullets and casings at schools and city parks. But I never find them anywhere else.

Never really any strange finds. Maybe the bullets at schools. My best a 1884 indian head and a silver ring.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
weirdest thing I have found was a Zippo cigarette lighter with this phrase on it, "the army is like a rubber, it gives you a false sense of security" Then it ****'s ya. Still have the lighter, on the very top of the lid, is engraved "The big Red One" Engraved on the sides and edges are all the campaigns that the owenr had been in, in the Pacific theater. It's around here somewhere, been looking for it for the past couple years.....nge

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
We have a park in Detroit that has trails in the woods that has trails that we call "The Hershey Highway" named after the stuff that goes on in those woods. one time while hunting with some friends, I got a strong signal near the surface, I kicked some dead leaves out of the way, and there it was, a double ended dildo...........YIKES! It made a sound because there was a bendable rod in it. I got two sticks, picked it up and put it in a tree crotch.....sure wish I had my camera with me, anyway, we all had a good laugh............nge

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
also in those same woods we often found quart canning jars with chicken heads in them hanging in trees, we figured it had something to do with voodoo and left them alone....nge

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you found the blair witch hide out
also in those same woods we often found quart canning jars with chicken heads in them hanging in trees, we figured it had something to do with voodoo and left them alone....nge

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'll avoid NGE's neighborhood! :nono:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
How a bout a keep sake heart?
Took a while to figure out what it was.
Has a mans name written in traditional Chinese characters.
Inside it holds the cremated remains of this person. Through it back out to sea where I found it!

image-772018285.jpg

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know on strangest find. Coolest would have to be a tie between two silver rings I found a few months back (on the same day) and a Canadian two dollar coin at a school playground.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't believe that I read every post about this.

For me, the strangest thing "unearthed" would be a 60mm mortar.

"On top of the ground" would be a urn, small statuettes of cats and dragons, rune stones, medals of some sort and other burned objects on the side of a dirt road by my house when I was I kid. I didn't know what it was about, but in hindsight must of been some ritual. I even took the some of the statuettes home.

Also, "on top of the ground" when I was going through basic training in Fort Sill in the early 90s' we stumbled across a 155mm shell while on the compass course. I think they passed us on the course even though we didn't finish because we walked back to the starting point and took a pace count and did a back azimuth back to the shell.

David in Germany

Apr 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My strangest was a incendiary bomb M50a2 (live) buried straight into the ground about 8" deep. I wish I got a pic or 2 of it. I think I made the local EOD's job easier because I laid it gently on the near by sidewalk and gave them a call. It rang up as a coin on my machine.. I was disappointed.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A purple flip-flop. It had a thumb tack stuck in the bottom of it- rang out a strong dime tone.

I wouldn't have been surprised if I found it at the beach, and I would not have been surprised if it had been a cowboy boot.... But a flip-flop with an office style tack stuck in the bottom? In the middle of a field no less? I live in West Tennessee???

I don't know ......but to me it's pretty weird.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strangest is a large 4" clam at low tide at the beach, first thought it was some thing metal under it but no, the signal was coming from the clam. Didn't have the heart to cut it open to find out why, gave it to some people digging clams. Probably should have checked it out it probably swallowed that diamond ring I keep looking for! Lol! The best was a pair of earrings at the same beach. My greatest fear of finding-is that "gold ring" still on a hand buried in the sand. Lol!

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The strangest has to be what I think was a dead cat buried in a cast iron pot with a glass lid in a state park. Evenly spaced between three trees that formed a triangle. Just knew I was on to someone's buried loot.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't remember if I posted this or not but I was really surprised when I dug this
at about 3" deep. I suspect it is a scapula from a poached deer since I recovered it
in a county forest preserve near Chicago several years ago.

Deer Poaching.JPG

Will45

Sep 1, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found car 80s car parts at a 1800s foundation.

TonyTiger

Nov 5, 2013
Mellieha, Malta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass Umax and Minelab X Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, the strangest thing I ever found was an unopened bottle of 1996 baron Rothschild wine on a plowed field.took it to an auction house and got £100 for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions