Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's this?

Looks like one they just couldn't get it thinned for one reason or another. I'd say they probably still utlized it as a Knife of some type though. I have a few Triangle Blades that look just like that one.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dollarzero said:
Neat, I'd like to see those. I wonder if this could
possibly be a new point type? :icon_scratch:

I doubt it's a new type of point. This was actually pretty common on some of these Triangle Blades, especially one made from local chert cobbles and that one looks like that kind of chert. Sometimes they just couldn't thin the stacks off of them, but they still used them. I'll see if I can get some pics of the ones I have and I'll post them for you. I have one that is a lot worse than yours. lol

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with Steve, I too have points thick on the mid section too,they aint supposed to be, its just down to the rough material.
Still a nice find.

Molly.

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.

I found a drill that is thick like the point you have. It is three colors from the front to the back. Dif. color rinds on both side, and in the middle as well.

badandy

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007

I agree with DorkFish...The majority of these thick artifacts can be traced back to the lithic material used. Chert takes much more pressure to flake and often does not break in an even or continuous fracture. Sometimes a stubborn piece of the cobbled rind will produce the same result on a nice flint piece.

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI

Rege-PA said:
I agree with DorkFish...The majority of these thick artifacts can be traced back to the lithic material used. Chert takes much more pressure to flake and often does not break in an even or continuous fracture. Sometimes a stubborn piece of the cobbled rind will produce the same result on a nice flint piece.

I tend to agree also. Most of the material that was used, was mined from the ground, not picked up at random. This material(chert) was very hard to work due to the moisture content.

Les

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread