Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's with all the "goodbyes?"

I just started posting here, and in two days I have seen four "goodbye" threads from members with pretty high post counts.

Is this normal here, or did something happen?

I get the impression that people are unhappy with changes. Things CHANGE, we all have to adapt. It's the APPEARANCE of a website, for crying out loud.

Just doesn't seem like a reason for "website suicide." Give it a chance. I'm a moderator at another treasure hunting website, and it has changed FOUR times in the past year. So, if you go somewhere else, chances are IT is going to change as well.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of folks don't care for the new "social media" concept, just wanted a simple place to talk treasure. I think that's all it really boils down to. But, the new owners want to make money, and rightfully so, and unfortunately social media is where it's at. I think a lot of them see it as less treasure and more social, if you know what I mean. The simplicity and the familiar atmosphere is gone. I'm going to give it some time to see how it pans out, rushing to leave won't change anything. :dontknow:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get used to it here.. Some are just :crybaby2: out for attention and have been threatening to quit for months.. I like to call that section our drama queens :icon_queen: Heck, I've even seen a person with 10 posts call it quits, no lie.. :D

Right now I'm putting together a ragtag army, made from the finest riffraff T-Net has to offer to overthrow the current regime.. Are you in :dontknow: When the smokes clears I'll declare myself the Grand High Exhausted Mystic Ruler and T-NET will again change.... This time to a forum with no topics, pictures, or little of anything else for that matter.

Oh, by the way.. Welcome to T-Net..

OP
OP
Diggit

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i'm IN!!! :-) Yeah, I was going to say something about people being drama queens, but I didn't know if something serious had happened. If you really have a problem with the way something is, just leave.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get used to it here.. Some are just :crybaby2: out for attention and have been threatening to quit for months.. I like to call that section our drama queens :icon_queen: Heck, I've even seen a person with 10 posts call it quits, no lie.. :D

Right now I'm putting together a ragtag army, made from the finest riffraff T-Net has to offer to overthrow the current regime.. Are you in :dontknow: When the smokes clears I'll declare myself the Grand High Exhausted Mystic Ruler and T-NET will again change.... This time to a forum with no topics, pictures, or little of anything else for that matter.

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Diggit, I think you're in and with 25 posts under your belt you may be in line for a cabinet position :thumbsup:

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a moderator on different, non-treasure related forum and people always whine about the changes there too but then get over it and start posting again because they soon realize how ridiculous it is and what exactly they are throwing out the window.

vBulletin software is where it's at as far as forums go. There's a lot more to offer, more than will ever be used. Many just don't want to even try to learn. Not today anyway... but they will.. they will.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is you people dont understand, it isn't whining, it isnt the change itself that they object to, it is how much harder it is to see and navigate the site and to do all the things that use to be so easy to do...

I plan to try and stay myself, but I can still see and understand what they are complaining about, the way it currently is, even after the changes made since it was installed, it is still harder to tell at a glance what threads have been read and which ones haven't been read, it is hard on the eyes, navigation is harder, posting pictures is harder, it's not like Im computer illiterate either, I install and trouble shoot Cisco routers, turn up and test T-1s and work with command line for most of the equipment I install and I have built the last 3 pcs I own........ Yet I can still see and understand what they are complaining about....

What is worse than the people having problems with the change is the people who have been here less than a month or two telling people who have been here contributing to TN for years, both finanical and knowledge wise if they don't like it just leave.... Remember that when you need help on something...

OP
OP
Diggit

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is the people who have been here less than a month or two telling people who have been here contributing to TN for years, both finanical and knowledge wise if they don't like it just leave.... Remember that when you need help on something...

And with THAT, I will test to see how my "block user' function works.. Thanks for the welcome.. Sorry to question you, your majesty. You have been here longer than I have, so you must be right.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is you people dont understand, it isn't whining, it isnt the change itself that they object to, it is how much harder it is to see and navigate the site and to do all the things that use to be so easy to do...

I plan to try and stay myself, but I can still see and understand what they are complaining about, the way it currently is, even after the changes made since it was installed, it is still harder to tell at a glance what threads have been read and which ones haven't been read, it is hard on the eyes, navigation is harder, posting pictures is harder, it's not like Im computer illiterate either, I install and trouble shoot Cisco routers, turn up and test T-1s and work with command line for most of the equipment I install and I have built the last 3 pcs I own........ Yet I can still see and understand what they are complaining about....

What is worse than the people having problems with the change is the people who have been here less than a month or two telling people who have been here contributing to TN for years, both finanical and knowledge wise if they don't like it just leave.... Remember that when you need help on something...

I personally wasn't lumping everyone into the "whining" category but when some members, that I have witnessed first hand, post in 3,4,5 other complaint threads and then go make their own complaint thread just because.. that is whining.

I haven't been here nearly as long as 1/2 of the posters have but in a similar thread a couple days ago I made a post stating that I hope nobody leaves because the experienced posters are the reason that us inexperienced or not so seasoned hunters come back to the site. Everyone's daily finds, photos, stories etc etc in ALL of the sub-forums are worth a look and much appreciated but this place would get dull real fast for everyone without the old school, old timers.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking around a while and observing this transition process....I really think you'll see this site slowly drift away from just being a treasure hunting site. I think social media will eventually take the place over and we'll see Tnet morphed into many other areas of interest. Just keep watching the advertising, the first sure sign that a wider range of markets has been targeted. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Diggit

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think social media will eventually take the place over and we'll see Tnet morphed into many other areas of interest. :
Well if that's the case, my interest here will in fact be short lived.

cobrasvo90

Feb 2, 2006
Rio Grande Valley (Pharr), TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was about time for a change. I have seen the same layout since i first joined in 2006. I welcome the new layout even though it might take a little getting used to.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

heathcliff-riff-raff.jpg

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm IN!!! :-) Yeah, I was going to say something about people being drama queens, but I didn't know if something serious had happened. If you really have a problem with the way something is, just leave.
What you have to know is Spartacus53 thrives on posts like this:unhappysmiley: trolling from thread to thread, because to dispite his 7000 and odd posts, I have yet to see a Treasure find related one, so this site becoming a social media site,.. he won't mind at all. :wink:

SS

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very well said Treasure Hunter, that's exactally what it is, easy for new members to like the new layout, for those that have been around a while is totally different :thumb_up:

SS

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, i've been around a while and I didn't like the change, still don't really, but that's life. Those that want to stay will, those that don't, won't. Either buck up and learn to adapt or lie down and be buried in your old set ways. The real measure of man is in his ability to adapt and overcome. That being said I do agree with Treasure_Hunter when he says " it is still harder to tell at a glance what threads have been read and which ones haven't been read, posting pictures is harder," only time will tell if changes will be made to correct these 2 main problems.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

is the people who have been here less than a month or two telling people who have been here contributing to TN for years, both finanical and knowledge wise if they don't like it just leave.... Remember that when you need help on something...

And with THAT, I will test to see how my "block user' function works.. Thanks for the welcome.. Sorry to question you, your majesty. You have been here longer than I have, so you must be right.

Diggit you didnt question me, I posted after your comment so you could not very well have been questioning me.... My post was directed to the comments in several threads I have read from people telling long time members if they dont like it to just leave....

The long time members have a right to complain, they are not just complaining because the format changed, but because the change has made the site much harder for them to enjoy TreasureNet, a place they love and have come to every day for years on end, some of those quitting have been major contributors to TN for years, losing any member is a lose, but losing some of these long time members is a major loss to TN in experience and knowledge.

With that said, from what I have seen, current management is doing their very best to address the complaints, I have seen them make changes to the new format trying to make it better for those having trouble, they continue to make changes trying to help and hopefully most of those struggling will stay and maybe once the dust has settled I will be able to once again run charter membership drives...

....and by the way, welcome to TreasureNet......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diggit you didnt question me, I posted after your comment so you could not very well have been questioning me.... My post was directed to the comments in several threads I have read from people telling long time members if they dont like it to just leave....

The long time members have a right to complain, they are not just complaining because the format changed, but because the change has made the site much harder for them to enjoy TreasureNet, a place they love and have come to every day for years on end, some of those quitting have been major contributors to TN for years, losing any member is a lose, but losing some of these long time members is a major loss to TN in experience and knowledge.

With that said, from what I have seen, current management is doing their very best to address the complaints, I have seen them make changes to the new format trying to make it better for those having trouble, they continue to make changes trying to help and hopefully most of those struggling will stay and maybe once the dust has settled I will be able to once again run charter membership drives...

....and by the way, welcome to TreasureNet......

Very well put.

I Already said elsewhere this was a Major Culture Shock for me also.
I Had to switch from IE to Mozila and from old TreasureNet to New TreasureNet.

Imagine the Culture shock for them, if they had to go from
what they know, to Old treasureNet & do all the things to keep us going.

They are trying their Best to put everything back the way it was
& still include new Features. on the new system.
I Do know certain things can't be put back.
But My guess all of us who stick by will eventually
grow to forget the old format enough that IF it were ever to
be brought Back, We'd all threaten to Leave :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Diggit, I think you're in and with 25 posts under your belt you may be in line for a cabinet position :thumbsup:

By the way Spart, some may not get your humor, but I do my friend.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread