What's your limit? How much trash will you dig before you call it a day?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Sunday I was on my own. So, in search of gold I went. As everyone knows, you can't find gold without digging trash and since most gold is in the mid tone range I pretty much stuck to mid tones for the day. I spent 7 hours and finally called it quits at 3 pm when the temperature reached 91 degrees. Occasionally a few high tones caught my attention and I dug them, but over all I had a great time but no gold for the day.

So, how much trash is too much trash for you? I dug 274 individual trash targets and 48 coins for a grand total of 322 holes for the day. I guess that is my limit for a hot day because I was pretty much wore out.

IMG_3143.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please..this is not a contest....Just wondering what the average limit may be. LOL my legs are killing me today.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
you got to dig through the trash for the treasure that is how much i will dig

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not in your league, Ammoman. You should do well, digging that many holes. I can do about 4 hours, tops, on a cool day. Weather like this sauna, maybe two hours. If I was a Native American, they would have left me by the trail long ago. Kudos on the cleanup. I see a lot of crap there I won't be digging! Thanks. LOL. And congrats on the coins.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not in your league, Ammoman. You should do well, digging that many holes. I can do about 4 hours, tops, on a cool day. Weather like this sauna, maybe two hours. If I was a Native American, they would have left me by the trail long ago. Kudos on the cleanup. I see a lot of crap there I won't be digging! Thanks. LOL. And congrats on the coins.

Kray, in general, i do dig a lot of trash but last Sunday was an exception. most of the time i dig about half that amount and spend about half as much time digging. Since i had the day to myself, i tried to make the most of it.

Because Last Sunday was an exception to my general rule, it got me thinking about how far other people might go.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
322 holes in this heat is a lot of holes brother!

Be careful out there. If I find something good, I try to continue. I have dug 300+ holes in a day on many occasions. I am an older fellow, and just can't take the heat. When my legs get wobbly, I head for the air conditioning!

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea it was pretty hot...i stayed in the shade for the most part and kept hydrated. LOL i went home, took a break then push mowed the lawn from 5pm to 6. Now...mowing in the heat was brutal!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even bother looking for gold in an urban park. Too much work IMO. I go to the beach where gold is more likely to be found and much easier to make a recovery.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't dig a lot of trash, but I'm always limited on time.. so I only dig good signals.

I know I'm missing a lot trust me :occasion14:

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only old guy who can't take the heat. I have been using the hot, hazy, humid days here in NC to do research and get permissions. If I can get out early (EARLY), I'll dig for a couple of hours but once the sun gets up and blazing, I'm wimping out and heading for the AC.

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never been a "hole counter" so I don't know what my most holes in a day is. When it gets hot, I can usually last a couple hours before needing an AC break, as long as there is some shade. Forget being in the direct sun.

During the Fall and Winter I can probably dig about 7 or 8 hours, but I'll feel it the next day.

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no limit in trash, there is only a limit in holes I dig. :)

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
When I get a new machine I dig every single target so lots of trash. Once I know the machine I can tell some of the trashy items but still dig the iffy signals.
As for hours detecting I'm like a kid and can detect all day long and be home before the street lights come on :laughing7:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang you earned it that hunt!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s hardcore digging. I’m good for 2 hours on the beach then it starts to feel like the desert.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 10% of what you did in dirt. No limit in sand for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread