Wheat and Ring

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Hi all,
Detected a Forest Preserve today. I found this ring which seems a little nicer than costume jewelry. The colored band appears to be porcelain. The metal is really soft, registered near a dime, so I am guessing a copper alloy. It is stamped "INDIA."

ring a.JPG

ring b.JPG

Also, in addition to $4.29 in clad found a 1950 -S Wheat Penny.

wheatp.JPG

Don't really know the age of the preserve, but the Wheat gave me some hope. Also, there was a really high number of copper cents and few zincs. Didn't find anything silver or really old though.

HH,
Jon

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Where's there's wheat, there's hope!

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Nice finds from a new site. It looks like it's got potential.
Good Luck!
Mike

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Todd,
Didn't get out. As Nick might put it, I was getting Righteous on Sunday. I have hunted those woods before where the group hunt was. My impressions of the place is that it may be better for relics than coins, though not sure. An indian trail which later became a trading route and now a road ran right by there for centuries. One of the earliest white settlers in the area had a cabin across the street from that preserve (there is a historical marker). Looking at it from aerials, it was already a FP in 1939 and there is no indication (completely forested at that point) where settlers would have been. It would take some good research to find where to hunt. For coins lost during FP days more luck perhaps than research. I'd be interested to see what people came away with from there.

I might add, that FP (the group hunt) is a very trashy place as well, so it can be very frustrating depending on where you are looking.
-Jon

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
...And an "S" to boot ... according to production you have work 3 times as hard to find one of those ...
No wonder I was so tired the other day! ;D

Nice finds!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's a good amount of clad, and rings ar a lot of fun to find.

Then, when you find a wheat, you secretly feel that you got one over on all the other detectorists who were there before you and pulled out all the silver!

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT FINDS,WTG!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread