Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lowbatts and me went to the tree.
In search of the elusive wheatie we be...
I popped out a couple then Lowbatts did too

OK forget the rhymes - too much work for this feeble brain.
Anyways we went to the spot we've been about 3 or 4 times to see if we could squeeze out a few more goodies.

Sure enough we each got some wheaties. I got excited (briefly) when I saw the 1909 but unfortunately it had no S VDB. I also got a very large smashed bullet, and a really old cufflink that at first I thought was a button. In the same hole I found a little gold plated something or other. When I got the finds home and cleaned them up, it turned out the gold plated thing is the back to the cufflink. There's a little tab on the cufflink that fits into a slot on the back piece. I love getting old stuff like this way more than a pocket spill with 20 coins from the 70's through the 90's.

Tim found a nice nickel on the outskirts of the wheatie zone. Not to be outdone by him, about a half hour later I managed to pop one out too although his is older than mine! A little after that I was saying something about we hadn't pulled any silver out of there yet... and then chaching! I got the '47D Rosey.

After a brief repast at Che Wendy, we hit another section and found some brass objects like door latch parts, Tim got some other cool stuff related to Elgin's history, and I'm not sure if he was using his detector for this but he found an intact working bicycle in a wooded area, which I also walked up to just moments before the owner of it came by and said "Did you find my bicycle?" I said something like, yeah it was kind of hard to miss. I think he said he left it there last night. Maybe he didn't want a B U I - I don't know. Something wasn't right with the picture.

In another spot someone must have tossed a handful of pennies into the woods because I was finding mem cents on the surface under the leaves. After about 7 of them I had enough and left the area.

It was another great day to be digging!

Attachments

• 11-21-09.jpg
    11-21-09.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 123
  • CuffLink2.jpg
    CuffLink2.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 116
  • CuffLink1.jpg
    CuffLink1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 1906V-nickel.jpg
    1906V-nickel.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 123

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY NICE FINDS THERE , MAYO!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and yea that dude probably just stole the bike from you guys...

Nickles

Greenie
Oct 29, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, BH Lone Star, DetectorPro pistol probe
Nice take there! By the way I am a misplaced Elginite myself. I am now in WI outside Madison. Have you guys detected Central Park on State street in Elgin, I used to sled there as a kid and there was always lots of kids there. Might be alot of loot there from back then. I'm talking early to mid 60's when I used to play there. Just a thought. HH!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Nickles said:
Nice take there! By the way I am a misplaced Elginite myself. I am now in WI outside Madison. Have you guys detected Central Park on State street in Elgin, I used to sled there as a kid and there was always lots of kids there. Might be alot of loot there from back then. I'm talking early to mid 60's when I used to play there. Just a thought. HH!

Hey Nickles, Central Park:
I've gotten two IH caches there near the old gazebo foundation at the bottom of the hill. Multiple barber and mercs at the bottom "point" where the hill heads into the tracks, but overall the park is either very sparsely populated with coins or they're way under the deep at the bottom. Pulled some bling there also. When you get back to Elgin lemme know, we'll tear it up some more.

Now to Wheatie Tree

Underneath the wheatie tree,
It's Mayo and me,
Digging ooh la la la.

No wait, that's mango tree and Mayo is no Honey Rider. But yep, he scored that rosie as we were pulling up stakes, cutting the hunt shorter than desired becasue a nearby domestic disturbance altered our intended hunt site.

Not sure about the escutcheon, maybe it was from the doorknob? The small bell-shaped thing with the crosshatch pattern- dustpan of the liliputiians? The copper disk (backplane from a watch perhaps?) really gave the LC charge until I saw the tapped holes. The large watchface awaits finishing, the bullets may have been from the Battle of Lagoon Heights. Yep, that washer is just a washer, not a vens coupon sans core. The V is a 1883 and the wheatie is a 1944.

Attachments

• WTree1121.jpg
    WTree1121.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Mayo gets sealed.jpg
    Mayo gets sealed.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 150

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Great oldies guys... should be some old silver hiding there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yep. Just plugging away at pulltabs!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Great stuff, boys!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Old nickels, silver, jewelry - very nice! You think that dustpan is a CJ toy?

Can you imaginge being a young boy way back then, saving your money for a box of CJ, then finding out your prize is a little dustpan? Hopefully your sister would have something good to trade for it! :tongue3:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Mayo :thumbsup:

I heard if you kiss a pull-tab it'll turn into a gold ring. . . if the weather's right :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread