Wheaties are in season

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Got permission to hunt a 1904 Circa home that has a pretty small front and side yard. No back yard here. It has an old carriage house that is an apartment. The man that lives here said that he had 5 kids grow up here and no one has hunted it since he has lived here for 40 years. So that perked me and Don up a bit.
So we arrived early in the morning and got started near the street. Of course we recovered the usual clad pennies marred by salt and wheel corrosion. Pretty much trashed out coins. Then it was on to the front yard. My ears got blasted by a great quarter/fifty cent signal that was 4 inches deep. The heart pumped only to discover an older sprinkler system. All brass and copper fittings. These would prove troublesome all over the yard. These have not been used in years. I told the owner that he had a thousand dollars in scrap under that dirt. He laughed and said goodluck with the rest of the hunt.
We continued on up into the yard to locate some clad coins and a couple nickles. Finally found a 50's wheatie. We were getting older stuff as time went by. I located a religious medallion. A cross made of what I think is pot metal. It may have some silver plating to it but not much. It is quite heavy. Then found an Orchestra District Festival medal. Pretty cool find. Still more and more of those dreaded sprinkler heads. Then it was off to the side yard that looks great as far as a play area for all of his kids. We started popping out wheaties after wheaties. In fact we located several pocket spills which we had to keep going over with the coils several times. They seemed to be growing in the holes as we were digging. Two different plugs revealed 7 wheats and 5 wheats respectively. Then I got a pocket spill that kept giving me wheats in the 1940's and still another great silver sound in my headphones. Talk about a rush...then out popped a 1936 mercury. I dinged it a little bit with my blade. Oh well it was the only silver of the day. All in all we took 32 wheats( oldest dating to 1910). A whole bunch of clad pennies, nickles and dimes and a couple quarters. It turned out to be a very productive day that filled a couple more open spots in my ever growing wheat collection. Getting closer to the 1909 vdb...I hope..The pics are not great but they are pics..HH jgas

Attachments

• orchestra medal.JPG
    orchestra medal.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 340
  • oconto beer can.JPG
    oconto beer can.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 338
  • wheats1.JPG
    wheats1.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 332
  • wheats2.JPG
    wheats2.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 351
  • handle and medal.JPG
    handle and medal.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 341
Upvote 0

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great hunt J :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Got to be more silver there with all that wheat.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That beer can is in great shape. I dug an old steel mountain dew can the other day. I wonder how steel cans can withstand 30 years in the ground and not rust ???

christ-first

Mar 20, 2008
Sweet Home Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
i hunt yards too, but i always ask for permission to just hunt the front and side yards. it seems to make the home owners more comfortable. great finds !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread