Wheaties,Buff, Silver,tokens, and then Civil War buttons?

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Wheaties,Buff, Silver,tokens, and then Civil War buttons?

Got a call from my new buddy and hunting partner "Wallhangers" early this morning, he had gotton us permission to hit an older site in town so I made a fast run to town to meet up with him at the site. This property has been used as a parking spot for our local county fair for over 140 years so expectations were running high. We both started working on gridding off the yard and making good slow and tight passes to make sure we hit it all. was'nt long and I started to pull clad, then wheaties. This was encouraging, about then I got a good deep signal and dug two very old looking tokens. I believe these were from the fair grounds but have no way of dating them. Mark AKA Wallhangers nailed one of the tokens also along with a very nice 1911 wheatie a date that he had not yet found so it was a nice find for him. I continued to pop a wheatie here and there along with alot of clad then finally a little silver showed its face in the form of a 1947 rosie. we worked back towards the rear of the property and seemed to be getting older things the further in we went. I pulled a great nickl;e signal and was rewarded with a wheatie and a Buffalo Nickle fro the same hole The buff has no date I can make out"Someday I'll get one of these I can read!" The wheatie was a 1926. pulled more clad and a few whatsits then I was working arond a very large old tree and got a deep signal when it finally came to light I was holding a very cool old button with and eagle on it and noticed a gold glint on parts of it. I filled the hole back and made another swing and six inches further I got a repeat of the button signal and thats what it was! Two for one YeeeeHaaaaaa!!!! That was about all the excitement this spot had to offer us. I was amazed at the fact of no old silver or Indianhead pennys from this site?Maybe someone with lesser machines had beat us there and we just got the remains? We left and hit a few other small spots to end our day with not anything worthy to mention. I sure enjoy hunting with Mark as he is got the fever as bad as me and always gives it his best effort in trying to find the best and oldest spots thats what it takes to make great finds and sure you'll be seeing alot of his posts in the very near future I'll post some crumby lookin pics"Sorry" I have a poor camera :-[

HH
Slipperyjack47

Attachments

• Picture 157.jpg
    Picture 157.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 477
  • Picture 158.jpg
    Picture 158.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 469
  • Picture 159.jpg
    Picture 159.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 472
  • Picture 160.jpg
    Picture 160.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 465
  • Picture 161.jpg
    Picture 161.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 482
Upvote 0

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
Re: Wheaties,Buff, Silver,tokens, and then Civil War buttons?

Nice finds. You got a nice assortment of relics and coins. WTG. Its nice to have a buddy to hunt with. That is how I got so hooked. It was the competition that I liked. Now that I have moved to Georgia I have no one to hunt with. I have a buddy here that has gone a couple of times with me, but this time of year he is more interested in deer hunting. Oh well, at least my wife "acts" excited when I show her my finds. HH

Marc in VA

Jun 27, 2003
Stafford, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, 3 Minelab XS Explorers
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice finds! The eagle buttons are general service buttons. The backmark is the key to dating these as they were made from the 1850s thru the early 1900s.

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Slippery Jack is great to hunt with, he's put his time in and is helping me advance faster by his experience. It doesn't really feel "competitive" with Jack, we are both working together to get the best out of the ground we are working. Hey Jack, did you get a chance to read the writing on the back of those buttons? That was a great bonus to the site. Jack and I have some great spots to hit eventually but it is going to have to be either after we get some drenching rain, or we might have to wait until fall. Good digs today Jack and its always a good time...especially when you buy me lunch!!!

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

Nice digs!! The Eagle buttons look to be Indian Wars period.. later then Civil War. The shield change to a smaller and more pointed shield then what had been used on the Eagle buttons during the Civil War period.. always check the backmarks, and you might be able to narrow down the age a little..

MonkeyBoy

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Nice finds. The buttons look post civil war. I like the buffalo nickel.
Dman

kibitzr

Dec 18, 2007
Niles,Mich
Detector(s) used
Expl SE, Excalibur ll, E-Trac, Whites V3

Nice finds Jack, and the pics arent bad either :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
kib

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Nice finds you have there, Jack! :thumbsup:

I hope you and Mark will compare signals with each other when you hunt to better yourselves with your machines for those deepies! It's a lot of fun!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Nice hunting Jack! Now that we got a little rain you & Wallhanger ought to get back there & hit it again. Good luck my friend!

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool, cool stuff, and a silver!

Thus far I've found only two buttons , but that one is much sweeter.

Good luck,
HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread