Wheatisimo and then some

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah we scoured the wheatie tree zone and there's evidently more where the previous came from.
It was a great day to be digging.

Today's tally included:
3 washers, a watch face, a 45 Cal. bullet, a kids heart ring (junk), Clad count of 2 quarters, 23 mem cents, 2 dimes and 4 nickels.
Wheaties consisted of 1917S, 1919 X3, 1924, 1935, 1941, 1950, 1956D X2, 1957D

I got really excited for a minute when I got a signal right at the base of a tree. Sounded like something silver and the depth gauge indicated about 6 to 8 inches. So I dig a deep plug, pop it out and the target is in the plug. Once I got it out of the plug I thought... Holey Cr*p - a three pence! It was just about the right size and just as thin as one of those.
I cleaned off the dirt and saw the words "Uncle Sam" and "Play Money"
I had a good laugh. In a pathetic why me? sort of way.

The 1888 Indian Head was a nice surprise, as was the 1935 Mercury Dime which was found at the base of another tree.

I'm not sure what the bugle player scene is on that round object. It's about the size of a half dollar. I was thinking it may have been the top of a snuff tin but I think it's aluminum. So would that make it a snuff aluminum? I kind of remember snuffalupagus or something like that.

Not pictured was the assorted usual junk including a fingernail clipper, a steel file which had an unknown father, assorted bits of welding slag and can slaw, and a large grommet which fooled me into thinking I had found a half dollar until I got the dirt off it.

Attachments

• 1888IH.jpg
    1888IH.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 128
  • PlayMoney.jpg
    PlayMoney.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Snuff.jpg
    Snuff.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 11-22-09.jpg
    11-22-09.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 157

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yeah man! We each got an '88 IH at the spot!

Next time I get there I'm gonna call the cops on that domestic disturbance business, it's cutting into our site.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice digs Mayo...

Those play money coins always sound nice and look nice til you wipe them off.....then...well you know....

Skinny Puppy

Sep 14, 2006
Mt Carmel, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe that's the Pied Piper calling out for more silver to come to you. :dontknow: Pretty cool whatever it is and good luck. :icon_thumleft:

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Re: Wheatisimo and then some - Button Identified

Great button! :icon_thumright:

It dates from the late 1800's and was inspired by "The Trumpeter of Sackingen," a poem written by Joseph Victor von Scheffel in 1853, later the basis for an opera of the same name by Viktor Nessler in 1884. Shortly after von Scheffel's death, Carl Schwenniger Jr. produced a series of ten paintings illustrating the "Trumpeter of Sackingen."

If the shank's intact, the button should be worth at least $25, and maybe as much as $50. Here's a link to one currently offered for $40:

http://www.cbweiser.com/cgi-bin/but...a&T=old&S=L&A=Quality Old Buttons&P=40.00&Q=Y

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Nice finds Mayo! Yeah, I hate seeing something that looks like a silver half coming out and then discovering it's not. Good thing your "half" turned out to be something cool!

Joe

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Wow! PBK, you're awesome! Thanks for the info on that button!

Mayo thought it was a tin topper or something similar because it has no back, guess we gotta go back now and find the rest of it!

Hey Mayo, do you remember what branch of the tree it was under?

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS ON SOME GREAT FINDS, RELLY LIKE THAT BUTTON! :hello:

OP
OP
Mayo South Elgin

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for that info PBK!
Unfortunately there is no shank or pin on back of the button - just some remains of brazing.
I examined the edge a little more closely and it appears it is brass - not aluminum, and it's plated.
No idea what the plating is. Regardless, it's certainly a surprise to me how old it is based on the info supplied. I wonder how these were worn - as a single brooch or lapel pin or decoration on a hat or was there several of them as buttons on a coat?

Now if I find the rest of it... or another one, that would be even more cool!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Wow, Mayo!!! :o You were a busy digger! Great hunt with the Merc & Indian, and not that your button has been ID'ed by PBK, an even greater hunt!!!

WTG! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread