When dealer gives me a Lemon, I made Lemonade

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I went into a coin dealer here in town a few weeks ago to pick up some 2x2 coin holders. While I was waiting, I was going through his bargin bin. I found this awesome 2 cent coin from 1864, it had been cleaned so it went into the bargin bin. However, I was unable to let this piece of history sit in the "bargin bin"! The coin is VF in details but was marked as fine because of the cleaning. I was able to slip the dealer $10.00 and out I went with the bargin bin coin.

I got on the net and ordered a bezel for it. I added a silver rope I had found about a month ago and here is the finished project. Lots of people ask what kind of coin that is when I wear it and I am able to teach them a little history about it.

2007_0305Image0009.jpg

Upvote 0

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Re: When dealer gives me Lemon, I made Lemonade

Storm,

Great idea and a beautiful coin. Man, I gotta break myself of the habit of wiping off coins with my thumb in the field. Every time I do it, I make a mental note to myself NOT to do it next time.

MP

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Storm, that's a great idea! The necklace looks awesome!

Please with sugar on top post the link where I can order a bevel like that! Was it hard to mount the coin or does it just pop in?

Cool!

Ridley

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Nice way to educate people...

I've shown two centers, three cent pieces and older dimes/quarters and many can't believe they were minted here, now you've got a great way to inform people of our past!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Storm,
That looks AWESOME Dude! Where did you order that coin holder from? I'd like to get one for a Merc dime if I ever find one.
Great job.
-MM-

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a beautiful piece of jewelry! Storm, you rock brother, you are going to have to post where you ordered the bevel from its really nice.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Very Nice. That coin looks good. As a coin collector I'm not a "purist". I'll take the cleaned, holed, dinged coin at the bargin price. :)

Bob

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Ridley said:
Storm, that's a great idea! The necklace looks awesome!

Please with sugar on top post the link where I can order a bevel like that! Was it hard to mount the coin or does it just pop in?

Cool!

Ridley

It's a lot easier then finding a 2 cent coin with a metal detector HEHEHEHEHE ;D

Naahhhh, it's simple. Just unscrew the bezel, insert coin, screw bezel. So easy, a caveman can do it.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stormtrooper154 said:
Ridley said:
So easy, a caveman can do it.

Everywhere I go.... there's always something to remind me.... of another place and time.
Cool necklace.

K

kindgrind

Hey Trooper,
I love the fact you used a found rope as well to make finish the project off very creative and very nice! I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!

Brandon

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
That is pretty!

OK-

So what if you unearth a lump of a coin with barnacles, etc. on it. If you don't clean it, you don't know what it is. What is the big deal about cleaning a coin if you don't know what it is in the first place?
I'll admit I know very little or nothing about coin collecting and grading.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread