Whole Grain Wheats plus Olive Oil

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Hi All,

It's been a while since I had anything post-worthy, so I was pretty excited when my cousin gave me permission to hunt my aunt and uncle's old house. I was even more excited when the weather cooperated and I not only didn't have to deal with snow, but could actually dig my signals without a hammer and chisel.

Anyway, the house was built in the late 40's, after my uncle got out of the service. He was a Pearl Harbor survivor, and I remember his story of how he was on KP and had just emptied the trash when a wave of Japanese Zero's flew over him. He describes thinking they were ours.....then heard the first explosions.

Anyway, the first trip yielded about a dozen coins, including three Wheats (see first pic, uncleaned). Top left is a 50S, top right a 48D and middle left a 44S. As you can tell, condition was terrible. Went back the next day, and found two more, both 56D's. Despite having very little luck with olive oil soak, I decided to give it a try.

The coins were found February 11 and 12. I took them out of the soak last night. Not bad, but they're still loaded with crud. Guess 3+ weeks isn't long enough?

MP

Attachments

• gloriaelgindirty.JPG
    gloriaelgindirty.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 771
  • gloriaelgincleanobv.JPG
    gloriaelgincleanobv.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 768
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mountainplayer

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Thanks for looking, everyone. Yeah, it did pretty well but nowhere near the results I've seen others achieve. I think I'll try soaking one or two of the worse ones for a few months (they soaked for about 4 weeks) and see what happens.

MP

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds MP, keep it up it's just a matter of time before you find that Goldy. nice to see you posting again TK ;D

OP
OP
mountainplayer

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Thanks Tyre. It did feel great to have something to post. With snow and frozen ground to contend with, my options for hunting spots have been really poor lately. In my area, Spring doesn't happen until May at best so I've still got a long way to go until real detecting season.

MP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread