Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many years ago now. I found some interesting things at one of the local castle sites.
I found a Seppa that goes on each side of the guard of a Katana and I also found a Menuki and that goes under the wrap on the handle for decoration.
Was not sure even what these items were till much later. I also found a chunk of brass that I thought was junk at the time,but kept anyway because it was found near the other items.
I actually had a Archaeologist that was working at a other Castle site confirm the seppa and they even took pictures and drew an outline of it, but let me keep it...How cool is that? I thought for sure it was a goner. They didn't even say stop doing that yada..yada..yada like in the states or Europe.
The one Seppa was found at a other castle site that was kind of small and not on any tourist map. The funny thing about that one is that I found it in the crack of these big stone steps that lead up to the top of the stronghold. I often wondered if there was a fight on the steps and the Seppa came off during the fight.
The plate that is in the picture I kept for years because I thought I could see some kind of engraving on it,but it had a heavy patina and dirt on it. I finally decided to clean it and ran it though the tumble for a little. Low and behold it did have some engraving on it. A big Chrysanthemum right in the middle, as some of you know this flower has always been part of the military and is a symbol of the royalty in Japan. I was very happy to see that. By the way it looked, I was thinking it might be part of armor and it also has a slight curve to it as does body armor.
Looking through may types of armor and there is many different types, I hit a picture and there it was, anyway in my eyes it was. Take a look and see if you see anything of this suit of armor that looks like it. Of course the picture is a high class suit of armor and my guy was I think a little lower class than that one. If you notice the hole even looks like it was made for a cord to go through.
I know there was minor battles here between the three kingdoms here for many years before they came under one rule. Then the Japanese also invaded in 1609 and there were some battles then too and the Okinawan's lost and they took the king back to Kagoshima as a hostage.

Anyway, Thank for reading my long post and let me know what you think...think positive"
IMG_0240 (1).JPG IMG_0238.JPG IMG_0226.JPG Samurai-Bonhams-10 (1).jpg

Upvote 6

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave,

I really like that elaborate piece of body armour....it looks good to me and thanks for the back story.

Regards + HH

Bill

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a fantastic find. I can only imagine just a chance to hunt old castle grounds. Congrats!

OP
OP
Dave N Japan

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do like hunting over here with the old history, but I sure wish there was more silver like in the states. Lots of bronze, but not much silver from the late 1800's and early 1900's, Okinawa must of had a economic crisis at that time

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a beautiful historical find! :occasion14:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is way cool.if only that armor could talk.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds! The piece of armor is beautiful in itself, the craftsmanship is amazing.
And yes, if it would talk...

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's different and refreshing. Nice finds with some history, beats almost any coin in my book ;)
Thanks for posting Dave :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions