When you dump at a bank with a coin machine, do you roll?

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 3 banks with coin machines that I use to dump my searched rolls and boxes. I spread it out so that I don't wear out my welcome.

The question I have for the group, when you dump at a bank with a coin machine do you still roll the coins and deposit or cash them or do you use the coin machine?

I am hoping that most people use the machine as that way any CWR's are from depositors not dumpers?

Upvote 0

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When TD had Penny I would dump coin in machine and I took slip for cash.. If it was a small amount less than 10.00 they didnt mind roll... Anything past that was machine...

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the banks in my area that have coin counters will not take rolled coin. Everything must go through the counter.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Very, very few banks/CU's around here (city population 34,000) have counters. Of the one that does, you must run your coin through the counter. I have been told by a teller that they make exceptions for the elderly.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is not one bank in my entire county that has a machine. (I think there are 4 banks) Only machine is coinstar in walmart. I will never pay 10-11% to deposit. So I must roll everything.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
the bank i go to has no coin machine so i have to roll every thing

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which banks are they? Besides if you put them in a coin counter, won't they eventually end up as machined wrapped rolls.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes they will, but if you just ask for CWR's you won't have that problem, but still there are so many banks feeding Loomis etc.

Also I have to go to a bank and find out that it is being used as a dump bank for a CRH'er. Although my best score of all was when I went to BoA and asked for halves and they had 32 rolls, at least 26 were my dumps but I got TWO SOLID ROLLS OF WALKERS

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
In my area its 50/50. My Chase banks like when I bring in rolled dimes, this way they don't have to order as much & yet they provide me with other CWR's or boxes. Yes, I do mark my rolls with a blunt magic marker so they don't give me back my own rolls. My other banks have lobby counting machines to dump loose coins.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
went to the new bank, well new to me, I had opened an account to use the counter. I put in $240 in change and they charged a fee, they had told or I thought they said it was free to depositors, turns out it is 3% unless you are 65 or older.

anyhow I asked at the teller for halves, they didn't have any rolls but did have 18 loose ($9) so I said I would take them.

3 40% and 1 90% Kennedy!!!!!!

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a branhc of my bank to get rid ot 9 rolls of halves 90 dollars. She said they don't accept rolled coins as they have a coin counter. Yeah, bu you guys charge 5% for loose coins. She said to bring it to another branch that doesn't have a coin counter and that they accept rolled coins. The only problem is that's where I got the box of halves, I was able to get rid of the majority, but the teller thought it was odd to have that many halves rolled up.
Any thoughts or feedback ?

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a tough one. When I got my halves from one of the banks they were vehement that I not bring any back to them. Luckily I have two banks that if you are a depositor you don't get charged a fee, so I take halves from one bank to the other and vice versa.
I never want to take halves especially to a bank where I got a box as I don't want to tick them off.

Are there other banks in your area? Maybe you could open some free accounts? I find that often you can get a free savings account for around $10. At one recent one you have to update it once a year to keep it active with no fees.

At Citizens bank you have to make a deposit every month SO I opened two accounts and on day 1 I make an automatic transfer to the other account and on day 3 transfer it back, Meets the letter of the law and get a free account

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread