OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bough a new AT Pro a few weeks back. Ater several years of prduction i fiure by now all the bugs have been worked out.
I'll buy a new AT Max in a few years too.

Yeah, the bugs (design flaws, that is) were worked out...with the Max.

The AT Pro platform is a "fixed" design with no known releases of improved firmware or functionality, so they had to "work the bugs out" with a new machine design. Hence, the Max.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bough a new AT Pro a few weeks back. Ater several years of prduction i fiure by now all the bugs have been worked out.
I'll buy a new AT Max in a few years too.

It has no bugs that need fixing. It’s your ATP on steroids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has no bugs that need fixing. It’s your ATP on steroids.

The AT Pro definitely works - the huge user base demonstrates that, but to deny that it isn't a flawed machine means that there was no reason for Garrett to come out with the Max (backlight, true all metal, increased depth, more intuitive controls layout with bigger display alphanumerics) - all shortcomings of the Pro. I think the MAX addressed many of the issues that forced me to give up on the Pro except that the weight/balance issues remain. Not comparing this to the XP Deus, but to the F75 which weights 0.5 lbs MORE than the AT Pro but distributes the weight so the fulcrum between the coil and battery/amplifier box exists where you grip the detector putting a lot less stress on your arm. Wish Garrett had taken the extra step to address this issue with the MAX.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Pro definitely works - the huge user base demonstrates that, but to deny that it isn't a flawed machine means that there was no reason for Garrett to come out with the Max (backlight, true all metal, increased depth, more intuitive controls layout with bigger display alphanumerics) - all shortcomings of the Pro. I think the MAX addressed many of the issues that forced me to give up on the Pro except that the weight/balance issues remain. Not comparing this to the XP Deus, but to the F75 which weights 0.5 lbs MORE than the AT Pro but distributes the weight so the fulcrum between the coil and battery/amplifier box exists where you grip the detector putting a lot less stress on your arm. Wish Garrett had taken the extra step to address this issue with the MAX.

My buddy bought the max after swinging the ATP for a while. Went out with him on a couple hunts and he seemed frustrated with it. Wanted to go back to his pro. I'm sure it's just because he's so comfortable with it.

I actually think the max feels much better to swing vs the pro. It seems to be a deep seeker too from what we have seen. The tones do seem crackly on his....and VDI numbers seem to wander too. Typical gripes about this model so far it seems.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Max, I repeat I love my Max, but I have noticed it’s eating through batteries. After a 8 hour hunt I was on half battery life.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Max, I repeat I love my Max, but I have noticed it’s eating through batteries. After a 8 hour hunt I was on half battery life.

Get you an RNB battery pack for it. You can detect for a week on a charge.

Kingrich

Dec 5, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Makro racer2
Garrett ATpro
FisherF2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy bought the max after swinging the ATP for a while. Went out with him on a couple hunts and he seemed frustrated with it. Wanted to go back to his pro. I'm sure it's just because he's so comfortable with it.

I actually think the max feels much better to swing vs the pro. It seems to be a deep seeker too from what we have seen. The tones do seem crackly on his....and VDI numbers seem to wander too. Typical gripes about this model so far it seems.

I agree on the crackly tones, makes me think a coin is a bottle cap. High tone with that iron grunt at the end. It would have been nice if Garrett used the tones from the at pro. There’s no mistaking a coin on the pro. Much sweeter sounds in my opinion.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Pro and will wait to get the MAx if it dies. However makes me wonder why there's already a few MAX's on Ebay going for a couple hundred less than new ones

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Pro and will wait to get the MAx if it dies. However makes me wonder why there's already a few MAX's on Ebay going for a couple hundred less than new ones

Couple of possibilities, a few have nothing to do with whether users felt it lived up to expectations:

The Minelab Equinox (on paper, a more capable detector at about the same price point) announcement came after folks preordered their AT Max's, so now they have buyer's remorse.

Some folks win these things at hunt or club raffles and resell them for cash.

Some users just buy the latest gear to check it out with no intention to keep it regardless of performance or some are able to purchase at a discount and attempt to turn it around for a small profit.

And of course you have those who were dissatisfied with the detector for whatever reason.

Last edited:

relichound

Aug 25, 2004
Northern Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
New user 2 weeks with Garett AT MAX -my impression

I'm sticking with the two machines I have. Both have done well, and I STILL haven't figured out how to use both at the same time. Machine weight is a HUGE issue with me. That always figures into whether I try something new or not.

Excellent point friend, weight of the detector is a huge factor in my book! In the 3 weeks I have owned the Garett AT MAX, although it is a bit heavier than my Fisher F75 LTD SE, I have noticed only 2 times out with the new machine that I recovered 4 bullets and a nice Eagle A cuff button that even my Fisher and other detectors missed. I only have 2 weeks under my belt using the MAX, but am pleased thus far in the results when I am still trying to understand all the new settings, sounds and nuances of this new machine.

Attachments

• CA58D9C5-452D-4ED5-82D5-ADBFDF95125C.jpeg
    CA58D9C5-452D-4ED5-82D5-ADBFDF95125C.jpeg
    852.6 KB · Views: 129
  • BAB8C40E-E59D-4A69-8135-AED0630C9D30.jpeg
    BAB8C40E-E59D-4A69-8135-AED0630C9D30.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 124

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent point friend, weight of the detector is a huge factor in my book! In the 3 weeks I have owned the Garett AT MAX, although it is a bit heavier than my Fisher F75 LTD SE, I have noticed only 2 times out with the new machine that I recovered 4 bullets and a nice Eagle A cuff button that even my Fisher and other detectors missed. I only have 2 weeks under my belt using the MAX, but am pleased thus far in the results when I am still trying to understand all the new settings, sounds and nuances of this new machine.

I have the same as you. I’m selling my F75 LTD SE and my ATP and all my big coils...but I have to keep my Max with the 5x8” I very pleased with it. Weight is now a huge factor so I’m going Deus or Equinox real soon.

too_pointer

Apr 24, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro.
Garrett " Carrot " Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It`s not any different !

Same battery RnB battery pack I have, spend the money once, and just go detecting, they are high quality, love it !!!!
too_

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread