Where do I start?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
My closest coin shop is about 25 miles away

Every major online coin store has bullion and gov minted coins for FAR less than $25, except for maybe Kooks or Pandas, etc. Apmex has ASEs today for under 20 each no min.

Other online stores/refiners like Silvertowne are below 20 on generic, etc. I did a quick ebay scan and most generic I saw was 20 or less. Don't know what you are looking at for $25 per ounce?

Jim

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful what your buying on ebay lots of those fractionals are fake as are some of the oz bars, especially if they are not from the big dealers. I'll send you a pm. Keep Stacking

CoinsFan

Greenie
Jun 29, 2016
Toronto ON
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys I'm used to get an information from TrustedPMDealers.com - I find it really helpful when it comes to purchase a coin from some dealers I've never bought from. I've just read your thread - Billjustbill speaks about Silvertowne - I see they have no reviews at all (SilverTowne). Could you share your buying experience to help other people make the right choice? It's great when we have a quick access to honest reviews about the dealer instead that fake ones they can place on their own websites - am I right?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Guys I'm used to get an information from TrustedPMDealers.com - I find it really helpful when it comes to purchase a coin from some dealers I've never bought from. I've just read your thread - Billjustbill speaks about Silvertowne - I see they have no reviews at all (SilverTowne). Could you share your buying experience to help other people make the right choice? It's great when we have a quick access to honest reviews about the dealer instead that fake ones they can place on their own websites - am I right?

Although I have never bought any PM's online, I have seen lots and lots of reviews on various PM blogs over the years. What I have noticed (since mid 2000's) is that there are usually some warning signs out there before a once-good coin dealer turns bad and starts ripping off customers. There have been a few big operations go under and take many purchasers' $$$ and finally end up in bankruptcy court (where the ripped off customer is an unsecured creditor). Usually late shipments with concurrent poor customer service are the key warning flags.

One company that went under not too long ago had a history of not shipping for sometimes months and not responding well to complaints about said delays, yet foolish buyers (knowing this) kept ordering and ordering until the company finally shut down.

You won't go wrong with JM Bullion (probably the best place from what I've read- price wise and free shipping). Apmex is great for service but their prices are a bit higher. There are other good places I am sure but those two seem to always have good reviews but of course there will always be some disgruntled guy writing something about them here and there.

Just my opinion.

Jim

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

I've had multiple transactions with Silvertowne with no problems.
Patient comparisons to other sources, and the same on items offering free shipping takes time , but when market is not crazy ,an occasional appeal arises.

Shipping out of country is not included in free shipping offers though. Standard rates apply instead.

Last edited:

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had good luck with both APMEX and MCM. I found the key to low prices with APMEX is to wait for their specials, which they usually run on weekends.

CoinsFan

Greenie
Jun 29, 2016
Toronto ON
Primary Interest:
Other
jim4silver, you know - searching for a reviews through amount of different forums is inconvenient. I've found treasurenet.com occasionally - but now I see here a lot of useful experience.
Sharing is caring - as the saying is. If you have something to say about one or another bullion seller basics on your own experience you should share it and help others to avoid fraud. That's my opinion because in 2012 I was scammed by a 'dealer' in my beginning

CoinsFan

Greenie
Jun 29, 2016
Toronto ON
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had multiple transactions with Silvertowne with no problems.
Patient comparisons to other sources, and the same on items offering free shipping takes time , but when market is not crazy ,an occasional appeal arises.

Shipping out of country is not included in free shipping offers though. Standard rates apply instead.

So can you write a review about them?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So can you write a review about them?
A limited,single customer one only.
The interest with them began by comparing prices.
Their "house " rounds and bars can be priced decent at times,if you are comfortable with their potential resale in time, vs eagles or maple leafs.
Fine by me for a acquisition of weight in ounce forms as they are recognised by enough buyers.
Like all businesses ,not every customer will give shining reviews.
I've dealt with another business that was helpful with my payment method , but after consistently timely service/shipping , . Price ,( as long as company is reputable) remains the deciding factor.
In my opinion Silvertowne is reputable because of consistently smooth transactions ,by the experiences I've had with them.
A common complaint is shipping time when an item(s) is thought not in stock. Following that,the carriers method's may vary.
Like any order not confirmed in stock and having a ship date estimate ,don't order something you need right away.
One customer last year had free shipping to Canada ,so browsing the site and asking if required ,might find an occasion it may happen again.

Last edited:

CoinsFan

Greenie
Jun 29, 2016
Toronto ON
Primary Interest:
Other
A limited,single customer one only.
The interest with them began by comparing prices.
Their "house " rounds and bars can be priced decent at times,if you are comfortable with their potential resale in time, vs eagles or maple leafs.
Fine by me for a acquisition of weight in ounce forms as they are recognised by enough buyers.
Like all businesses ,not every customer will give shining reviews.
I've dealt with another business that was helpful with my payment method , but after consistently timely service/shipping , . Price ,( as long as company is reputable) remains the deciding factor.
In my opinion Silvertowne is reputable because of consistently smooth transactions ,by the experiences I've had with them.
A common complaint is shipping time when an item(s) is thought not in stock. Following that,the carriers method's may vary.
Like any order not confirmed in stock and having a ship date estimate ,don't order something you need right away.
One customer last year had free shipping to Canada ,so browsing the site and asking if required ,might find an occasion it may happen again.

I see... Guys, so please could you share your reviews on http://trustedpmdealers.com/dealers/silvertowne - you will make a great contribution for other users, not only for me? Thank you in advance

Last edited:

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
CoinsFan,

You've left four comments on this thread, and in all four comments, you've asked us to post a review on a certain site. Are you stumping for the site?

TCK

CoinsFan

Greenie
Jun 29, 2016
Toronto ON
Primary Interest:
Other
CoinsFan,

You've left four comments on this thread, and in all four comments, you've asked us to post a review on a certain site. Are you stumping for the site?

TCK

Is that an offence? The thing is I don't sell anything or promote any dealer here - all I wanted was to get a honest and real review from real people/buyers. And yes - post them on a special review websites like TrustPilot or TrustedPMDealers is much better then discuss it here on forums most of people even don't know about. But sorry if I offended somebody by that.
I asked - you don't agree. It's okay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread