Where do you draw the line?

sierra_ronin

Feb 2, 2015
San Francisco
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had some time to reminisce today over some of the precarious places I've hiked into to prospect in the Sierra Nevadas over the past year and a half and I got to thinking maybe I push it a little too far to extreme at times. My philosophy is to hike(often alone) into places that are off the beaten path, places that may have never been hit hard by mining which is almost impossible in this part of the world so I sometimes find myself in dangerous situations trail blazing DEEP into the back country.

For example last year I was hiking back up a steep grade(almost vertical really) carrying a very heavy pack after prospecting on the Rubicon River all day. About 3/4 of the way up the ravine the ground under my boot gave way and before I knew it I was tumbling down. I'm convinced that the only thing that stopped me was my heavy ass pack strapped to my back that day. I tumbled a good 45 feet from where I slipped and my cons bucket flew much further down dumping a hard days work all over the mountain side. I didn't get too badly banged up but I understand it could of been much worse.

So my question for everyone is: Where do you draw the line?

Yes, I've found a couple potential placer claim sites and a few gold in quartz specimens in my adventures but is it worth the risk?
I think I may get a little over zealous out there when I see color but I'm curious to hear what everyone's thinking is on this subject and I hope to get a healthy discussion going here.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread