Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

What do you like to hunt for? Do you like relics, old coins, lots of clad coins, bottles, artifacts, tokens? It really depends on a person's own idea of what's best. For me, what I like best are relics so I look in ghost towns, mining camps, and lumber camps. My best coin finds have been around old houses. My best jewelry was found in a school field. My best bottles were in an old dump. It just depends on what is exciting to find. But mostly I enjoy being outdoors and in somewhat remote areas...that's the true treasure for me.

OP
OP
Larsmed

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Recently I went to an old French fort in Jacksonville, however the guards said I could not use my detector. After reading the story about the French and Spanish were fighting it out to the death at that fort, it really left me hungry for some artifacts.

Now, instead of using older maps, I am simply looking for pieces of undeveloped land by the interstate and construction sites, right after the digging machines have dug deep into the earth. I figure they can do the digging!

Larry

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
My best finds and oldest have been all beach finds.Here in New England the coast is full of history!! Ship wrecks everywhere,we had our share of pirates and such too.Here's my two oldest coin finds found this year at the beach!!

Attachments

• HPIM1050 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    HPIM1050 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 934
  • HPIM1053 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    HPIM1053 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 930
  • HPIM0985 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    HPIM0985 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 953
  • HPIM0980 (Large).JPG
    HPIM0980 (Large).JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 948
  • HPIM1050 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    HPIM1050 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 927
  • HPIM1053 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    HPIM1053 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 915
  • HPIM0998_(Large).JPG
    HPIM0998_(Large).JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 905

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Nice finds there BEACH-HUNTER.

And as for the pictures, I think those are good examples of how to take pictures. Well cropped of useless backgrounds. Only thing missing, is a ruler alongside to tell how big the coins are. Otherwise, good in-focus pictures.

Just a tip for others with really worn coins and other items with writing thats hard to make out. Take a couple of pictures with lighting from a sharp angle to the coin face and it should help to detect the shape of letters and numbers on the coin surface.

I understand that there are filters that help with this sort of thing too, but sometimes nothing short of an x-ray will detect what the eye can't see. I'm considering trying infrared to see if that helps on worn lettering, once I find a camera to modify and make an IR light source. (Something I've been planning anyway.)

F.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Thanks!! Functional...it took some time to get the photo thing where it is now...I will get a little ruler to put in photo's. the big coin is bigger than a U.S Silver dollar!!! the cob is half dollar size but thicker weight is 0.7 OZ.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
BEACH-HUNTER said:
Thanks!! Functional...it took some time to get the photo thing where it is now...I will get a little ruler to put in photo's. the big coin is bigger than a U.S Silver dollar!!! the cob is half dollar size but thicker weight is 0.7 OZ.

Now theres an idea for displaying TH'd items. Display them all on a digital scale with rulers. Short of showing them suspended in water while measuring specific gravity, what more could a person ask? ;)

Like many people on here, I've been a fan of Irfanview for editing, resizing and cropping photo's for several years. I think my version dates back to 2003 and it would be older, but I had to replace my earlier one due to having my old computer stolen in late 2002. Oh well. Just nice to see pictures on here that don't waste what little bandwidth I have on dialup, with detailed views of someones fingers, or someones furniture, etc.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time and making the effort to display items clearly.

F.

WinnGoldDigger

Feb 24, 2007
Central Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
In my opinion, it would have to be what you classify as a great find... To some people, an old tool would be worth more than an old coin, whereas, to others, a civil war relic would be worth more than a new diamond ring. You just have to decide what a great find would be for you, then hunt places where that is likely to be found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread