Where does YOUR Unit rate?

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although I am loving this I would say the author either owns a Minelab and (therefore) is more familiar with if not at least subconsciously biased towards them or is in heavy mineralised soil or soil that in some other way favors the "easy" and or default settings of the upscale Minelabs. I own one myself and think they have their ducks in a row when it comes to detectors and the folks who use them.

But he is obviously and admittedly not able to learn the "kinks" of a given detector in the short time and specific test he subjects it to. As he says he get's 'em stable and diccriminates out iron and runs with them. No way we can tell how tolerant he is of detector stability or VDI hopping. That's a personal thing.

And so this review is like most others: a bit to be considered, discussed and filed away in making a decision.

I'm really surprised he's a C-Scope dealer and puts them in the spitoon with his review. That tells me that if he specializes in them and can't squeeze a beep out of them (except the higher end models) they must be dogs.

Don't ya love it? At least he seems to have gone outside to do the tests and involved some dirt. :laughing7: It all comes down to pay, hope, and either tough it out and learn or swap off and gripe. Them as soak some sweat into a detector's grip are the ones ahead of the game. :wink:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
Some of you guys are suffering from Detector Envy. :D Is that anything like...........??

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets all play a little game. By the posts above, Guess who,s detector was rated at the top and Who,s was not?

He! He!

Ed D.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone out there think the author is kinda a little biased towards Minelab? 7 out of the top 10 detectors are minelabs. Even though I've never used a Minelab, it appears the others (Fisher, Garrett, Tesoro, and Whites) are left out in the cold. Is there anyone else out there who can give an honest opinion on which detectors has the best depth, discrimination, and stability? If so, LMK. Thanks.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I'm with ya' newfiehunter...

Take it with a grain of salt.

However, if you need to be stroked because you spent the most or need everyone else to know you bought the best thing out there... this is a great chart for you!

I like what CharlieP says best... well done IMO.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Born2Dtect said:
Lets all play a little game. By the posts above, Guess who,s detector was rated at the top and Who,s was not?

He! He!

Ed D.

:laughing7:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! You mean my C-scope Treasure Seeker isn't the best? And what about my Jetco?!! It ain't even on their danged list.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
I didn't see a Discovery 3300 included but it probably would rate at about 8" (just a pure guess). However, I counted approx. 156 detectors and the website didn't say how they were able to accumulate 156 detectors! Do you accept that they actually used 156 actual detectors? And if they did, was each detector adjusted properly and if yes, what and how did they use to adjust each one properly?

Inquisitive minds want to know!

Silver Fox

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you, Silver Fox. And I also want to know why the 1265-X Fisher is rated "deeper" than the 1266.

:icon_scratch:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Fox said:
I didn't see a Discovery 3300 included but it probably would rate at about 8" (just a pure guess). However, I counted approx. 156 detectors and the website didn't say how they were able to accumulate 156 detectors! Do you accept that they actually used 156 actual detectors? And if they did, was each detector adjusted properly and if yes, what and how did they use to adjust each one properly?

Inquisitive minds want to know!

Silver Fox

He 'splains how he set them up on the main site.

http://www.staffsmetaldetectors.co.uk/depth_test.htm

The guy's a detector dealer so he probably tested used and or loaner/club borrowed detectors as well as shop stock.

If you check the Iron Tests the Minelabs take a pounding. (F-75, tied for 1st! Tee Hee! :laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing11:)

Who ever knows with these types of tests. It's like the guys who buy a detector and write a review after an hour of indoor airtests. Worthless news.

We need a Consumer Reports type study done. :angry7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
waltripcrew said:
Wife says my unit rates a # 1

Well, one hopes her checklist of available models tested is shorter than that feller's in England. :wink:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I'm just wondering how he new how deep this coin was when tested or did he perform an air( waste of time ) test,
was this coin oxidized with a halo effect around it or what?

there are too many variables to accurately decide which detector performs better.
plus the fact, he's a dealer, leaves the test under a cloud JMO

Sniffer

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Sniffer said:
I'm just wondering how he new how deep this coin was when tested or did he perform an air( waste of time ) test,
was this coin oxidized with a halo effect around it or what?

there are too many variables to accurately decide which detector performs better.
plus the fact, he's a dealer, leaves the test under a cloud JMO

Sniffer

I'm sure he buried the coin in a "coin garden" or at least under specific conditions that he controlled. Thats very easy to do.

ko57

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2007
s.e. Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Looks like mine didn't-My BH QDII. It did find a crushed Budweiser can at 9 inches, though. My first real find, I thought I'd never quit digging but the signal showed 8-10 deep, so kept digging and there it was. I was all excited.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
my first beer can was at about 10 inches, it was an old pull ring style coors can. I thought my ears were going to explode, it hit so hard. ouchie wa wa

Sniffer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread