Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Happy Holidays Rileyboy,
Hope you will be posting again. I know we all miss Rich. The forum is not the same without his Holiday spirit.

Would like to see your pics of amazing scores again. Get the "old blood" pumping again for us old timers. We need it. :) Plus, I would like to see an updated pic of Riley!!!!

apush

I agree with the sentiment. Rileyboy always had a positive message to share. Still one of the best Seated coins found in the wild belongs to him.

I'll share a tip of Rich's that he used on his hunts. He would buy up common date IHC in decent condition at the LCS. It would cost him a buck or two. He'd keep them in his pocket and after striking up small talk with a teller, he'd inadvertently steer the conversation to old coins. When the teller revealed that they had some old coins that they were keeping for themself, he would show them the old IHC. The uneducated teller would associate an older date as being more valuable and would gladly trade away the "newer" coins for his IHC. Not as good as getting silver at face, but he would gladly trade an IHC that cost a buck for a 64 Kennedy any day of the week. There was one time that he ran out of IHC coins and had to hit up another LCS for more.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Holidays Rileyboy,
Hope you will be posting again. I know we all miss Rich. The forum is not the same without his Holiday spirit.

Would like to see your pics of amazing scores again. Get the "old blood" pumping again for us old timers. We need it. :) Plus, I would like to see an updated pic of Riley!!!!

apush

Us Oldtimers???..You dont look a day over 30

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I lurked for over a year before I joined tnet, i am sure glad I joined! I miss all the encouraging posts. So much has changed here.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Apush, I liked Rileyboys posts too, unfortunatly I missed the era of Rich Hartford, but have went back and read alot of his posts, I could tell he was very loved on the forum, I can understand how people would miss him dearly. HH, Maverick.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I poke my old face in here every now and then. and yes I am over 30.

I actually got carded at a Target last night when buying cough meds, (10% alcohol) I told the teller i was older than her grandfather, she looked at my license and said I was.

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
I miss Rich and his great way of dealing with the bank tellers. I hope you are doing well, and finding some AG. happy hunting and Happy Holidays. Brian

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Holidays to all of you oldtimers and newtimers as well! I miss logging on to this site every day to see what everyone had found, get questions answered, answer questions, joke around, lend advice, get advice, argue and such. Just been too darn busy and now I only log on once a month or so. Anyways, I hope your holidays are pleasant.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
H I miss logging on to this site every day to see what everyone had found, get questions answered, answer questions, joke around, lend advice, get advice, argue and such.

There really isn't too much of those going on anymore other than the arguing.:laughing7:

I feel like this forum has its ups and downs. When I started lurking, it was at an up, then it became really bad, then got better, then got bad again, and now is getting better again.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just looked at rileyboy's profile and it said his last activity was yesterday at 10:01 pm so he is still around.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
I agree with the sentiment. Rileyboy always had a positive message to share. Still one of the best Seated coins found in the wild belongs to him.

I'll share a tip of Rich's that he used on his hunts. He would buy up common date IHC in decent condition at the LCS. It would cost him a buck or two. He'd keep them in his pocket and after striking up small talk with a teller, he'd inadvertently steer the conversation to old coins. When the teller revealed that they had some old coins that they were keeping for themself, he would show them the old IHC. The uneducated teller would associate an older date as being more valuable and would gladly trade away the "newer" coins for his IHC. Not as good as getting silver at face, but he would gladly trade an IHC that cost a buck for a 64 Kennedy any day of the week. There was one time that he ran out of IHC coins and had to hit up another LCS for more.

That is an awesome idea.. I will have to try that.. I wish I could have been on here for the wisdom rich shared with you all.. Seems like he was an awesome guy..

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my positive push for the week.

Thanks again everyone for all the help, tips, and tricks.

A older lady ( older than 70 ) was depositing one roll of quarters. She was flagging down anyone who worked for the bank, to make the exchange, that is the only reason I knew what she was doing there.

Thinking of all you people - I went to the teller, and asked for that roll that was just submitted. She reached into her drawer, and the roll looked exactly like the other 10 she had in there. I asked the teller if she was sure it was the roll from the lady. She said it was.

While I Waited for the vault teller to become availible, I tore open the paper, and this popped out.

quarter.jpg

This 1936 - d Quarter

Not in great shape. Not rare.

But, My first legit "roll find" of a quarter. I have several teller tray scored with regards to quarters, but never from a roll.

Biggest lesson: Take lessons! This was pretty obvious to me. Buy the roll of quarters from the older lady! I couldn't believe it paid off. I ever showed my girlfriend, and she is not interested in this at all. She liked the follow through, and the fact that I followed behind this person, and I culled the coin.

Stay on the right track people!

love from washington state

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Rileyboys number if you want it APush, I am sure he would love to hear from you.
PM Me.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is my positive push for the week.

Thanks again everyone for all the help, tips, and tricks.

A older lady ( older than 70 ) was depositing one roll of quarters. She was flagging down anyone who worked for the bank, to make the exchange, that is the only reason I knew what she was doing there.

Thinking of all you people - I went to the teller, and asked for that roll that was just submitted. She reached into her drawer, and the roll looked exactly like the other 10 she had in there. I asked the teller if she was sure it was the roll from the lady. She said it was.

While I Waited for the vault teller to become availible, I tore open the paper, and this popped out.

View attachment 718200

This 1936 - d Quarter

Not in great shape. Not rare.

But, My first legit "roll find" of a quarter. I have several teller tray scored with regards to quarters, but never from a roll.

Biggest lesson: Take lessons! This was pretty obvious to me. Buy the roll of quarters from the older lady! I couldn't believe it paid off. I ever showed my girlfriend, and she is not interested in this at all. She liked the follow through, and the fact that I followed behind this person, and I culled the coin.

Stay on the right track people!

love from washington state

A 1936-D carries a premium. $15 in G-4, and $55 in XF-40.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Ah yes - a shout out to Riley and Rich! Might as well toss in LJ while we are at it! LJ could put a stop to a foolish thread or any troublesome troll with one comment! Rich took over that roll till he sadly passed too soon. I wasn't around before that but am sure there were others that gave this place a special feeling. There are some here now that seem to be real positive to the community and Apush you are one! Happy New Year to you and hope you hit a good vein this coming year.

Maine_Jim

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smiles on everyone this Holiday Season. May we all find the New Year with health, happiness, and a tad more silver!

apush

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread