Where to find old coins!!!!

F

free2Dtect

I talked (P M) someone last night and mentioned starting this thread. Purpose is to let viewers see what types of sites older coins are being found in. Not to give out exact locations! This should help others find older and more valueable coins. I wish to see people post new finds in todays finds section thru out the coming summer. After all we will never get it all, so we might as will share the wealth.
My favorite two sidewalk tearups and house demo sites.

Upvote 0

Dr.Jones

Aug 19, 2005
Kennett square , PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
avdan said:
You can't find old coins in USA.Because,USA is a new country.The coins which you can find are not older than 150-200. years old,and those are not valuable.

Wasnt there a thread on here about a US Nickel that sold on ebay for 4 million, now thats valuable ;D ;D, I agree on the historical part, USA is new and there isnt much in the way of very old coins, I wish i could go to europe and hunt, but as a college student , how can i put this, oh yea im broke!!!! ;D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Where to old coins!!!!

lets_go said:
Being in southeast Michigan you would think that there is all kinds of possibilities.? 1. Detroit was founded in 1701 2. The war of 1812 was fought in my neck of the woods. 3. There was a population of indians in my City and it was est. in 1863.? Did you know in my little City, the first American was killed? in the war of 1812, even have a plaque at the site he was killed.? Given all these I can't imagine why I'm not hearing alot about any finds either relics or coin.? I know I haven't found any yet.

Check old maps and align them with modern maps. There's loads to be found in Motown but how is one to reach it? Detroit is one of the most dangerous cities in America. Next to it is "little Detroit" which is part of Saginaw. My son is an undercover cop in these areas and at night when they stop for traffic lights in parts of town they hold their guns up to the car window so the druggies back off.

A man (or woman) all by himself using a $1,000 metal detector down in the old parts of Motown? I think not!

Now, if you can get together a small army and hunt those places you'd absolutely kill the loot. Back in the mid 1800's to early 1900's some of the wealthiest people in a America lived in those old parts of town.

Man, we're talking gold pieces, jewelry, etc.

Good luck...you'll need it.

Dr.Jones

Aug 19, 2005
Kennett square , PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Best place to find old coins, that is an easy question to answer: EBAY, all the old coins, gold coins, silver coins, you could want. ;D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Dr.Jones said:
Best place to find old coins, that is an easy question to answer:? EBAY,? all the old coins, gold coins, silver coins, you could want. ;D

LOL!

You got that right, Doc!

I just purchased an awesome half eagle off the bay. Besides, that's probably where most of the "dug" ones come from anyway ;D (just a little dry humor).

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I think demos are a good bet too.
Was going by a business in an old section of town that had been demolished, with the pavement taken up. Had my detector with me, so I tried it.
Found an 1891 Seated dime.
In Ocean City MD I was skunked on the beach in winter, so tried the hotel parking lot across the street being torn up.
Found a mid 40's Mercury and a couple wheaties.
Lot of those places have been covered for decades and untouched, til now
Hugger

Z

ZumbroKid

It's the sites in here i got the 1843D with a bounty hunter $200 detector bought at radio shack. So any new member can find seated coins, indian heads, two cent pieces. Hunt these sites and you will be very glad you did. As for ebay coins, i got some out there now. Sold lots of them. Why not supply is steady. LOL

sabertooth

Dec 13, 2005
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Classic I, Minelab Sovereign, Garret GTX 2500, BH 3300
I did not see if anyone metioned this , prolly did and I just missed it. Old churches seem to produce nice results. I found 2 seated liberty halves about 40 yards behind a church in an old creek bed. I posted them in the finds (group) but Ill repost here too. I also Think old rail stations and depots are good places but at the freight type depots you get alota rail spikes.

Attachments

• half front.JPG
    half front.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 397

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread