Where to look at an old Mine

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
Headed to the Upper Peninsula next week to visit family and on the property is a old mine from late 1800 to about 1902.
Shaft is flooded and gated but my question is, should I scout the area for where winter/water runoff would happen over thousands of years and dig down to see if I can find any gold or would that even be worth while?
The mine and visible vein sits on the South face of a small hill of bedrock.

There is a lot of quartz tailings around the mine but it wasn't hugely profitable and I can bring rock sample back home to crush over the winter.

Thoughts???

Makton

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Makton,
Since you know the source (the mine) start working down hill from there. If it leads to a stream then work the area where it enters the water. take samples from the source down to the creek looking for quartz on the way and look for gold on the quartz you find. You won't know unless you try.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal-detector-ch.jpg

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
research the mine if you can, and find out what they were mining for, and if it was gold, what type of deposit.

If the gold is locked up in sulfides, there may be value there, it is a little harder for the average guy to recover.

If it was visible gold, and they processed it there, definitely check the slope below the outcrop, and the old tailing piles.

Good Luck, post some pics.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread