Where to start

Istang

Oct 28, 2012
Cohutta Ga
Detector(s) used
G2, Alpha 2000(5 inch coil)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi... I'm new to prospecting and I've managed to learn some lately but I still have a lot to learn.. I'm wanting to go mining this weekend and do some panning. I know enough to start at streams and rivers... But once I get to the waterway ... Where do I start... I know there must be things to point out of evidence to start looking.. I know u can't just pick a spot and hope to find gold so my question is if someone can give me some guidelines, hints, tips, where to start looking.where and how to start

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Istang,
Start at gravel bars that have formed on the inside bend of a creek. I would start at the upstream end of the bar and dig deep and try to get to bedrock. Look for exposed bedrock in the creek or on the edges of the creek along the banks. Clean all of the material out of depressions, cracks and crevises on the bedrock. Work areas around and under boulders in and out of the creek. Look for gravel benches left high and dry up on the banks by flood waters using the same methods as mentioned here. Look for and work any places and objects that looks like it would slow down the water flow so the gold will drop out. Even grass roots and tree roots and moss will catch gold. This should get you started, hope it helps.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a rare earth magnet with at least 50lb pull on a string or put the magnet in a plastic bag & tie the bag to a string.

Walk with the magnet near the ground/water. When large amounts of black sand fly to the magnet sample with your pan for gold. If there is gold start panning!

Its actually best to put the magnet in a plastic container with a string so that the black sands drop easily into the pan. Its easy to do but hard to put into words. I'll make one & take a pic when I have time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Istang

Oct 28, 2012
Cohutta Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where can I find a magnet with that big of pull

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
I

Istang

Oct 28, 2012
Cohutta Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does it have to be ceramic or neodymium type of magnet?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st step-Join a local jokel club to stay outta trouble as they know whatzup in your area. Be it gold,detecting,or gem/mineral gold nutz abound and most folks have claims,way toooo much equipment and time to help ya get through them newbie blues. Smaller the club the better as cost is purt' near nuttn' and only folks mining gold and NOT your wallet- take it slow and ez as you have a lifetime of learning in many sciences to even know a % of what ya really need to know,still learning something new almost everyday as sciences and technology advances at lightning speed now. John

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1st step-Join a local jokel club to stay outta trouble as they know whatzup in your area. Be it gold,detecting,or gem/mineral gold nutz abound and most folks have claims,way toooo much equipment and time to help ya get through them newbie blues. Smaller the club the better as cost is purt' near nuttn' and only folks mining gold and NOT your wallet- take it slow and ez as you have a lifetime of learning in many sciences to even know a % of what ya really need to know,still learning something new almost everyday as sciences and technology advances at lightning speed now. John

John just typed the best advice on this thread - Join a small local club and LEARN. Good Luck!

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Yup, I just hit my one year anniversary of prospecting. I took the fast track on trips and gear. I prob spent way to much this year, so take it from a new guy. Go slow on your wallet, don't let ya fever take over , lol.

What a great hobby you are getting into to! So many great things about mining. Outdoors, campfires, friends, good chow, prospecting, continual learning, an don't forget, you'll bring home some sweet yellow gold.

First 4 months, I took all my trips alone, and had zero clue what I was doing. In the beginning, it can be a bit lonely out there, but you will meet people. I found zero gold or anything these first months, but do not let it get u down. Always remind yourself this is a hobby, and it's not about winning or losing, just about being out there, and having a blast!

I agree with my friend John, join a local mining club. Always a few old guys that love to talk to ya and teach you. Listen to these guys, they have valued experience. First club I joined was San Fernando prospectors club. In LA. Guess what, it was FREE! No dues, nada. Gotta love that. It's pat Keenes group.

Anyway, after a year of having many wild trips and adventures, I am now doing much better prospecting. I have found a nugget last 2 trips. What a great feeling when you find your first nugget. Mine was sitting in the my #8 screen classifier, almost threw it over my shoulder. Guess the old guys were right, pan those cobbles!!

I ask this from u and any new miner, when you go out to a river, desert, mine, wut Eva, leave it cleaner than you found it. Take care of moma nature..

Best of luck and have fun!

Mellllllow yellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
nickmarch said:
Put a rare earth magnet with at least 50lb pull on a string or put the magnet in a plastic bag & tie the bag to a string.

Walk with the magnet near the ground/water. When large amounts of black sand fly to the magnet sample with your pan for gold. If there is gold start panning!

Its actually best to put the magnet in a plastic container with a string so that the black sands drop easily into the pan. Its easy to do but hard to put into words. I'll make one & take a pic when I have time.

I have never heard this magnet test, very interesting, I have to try it and see if it works now, lol. Seems pretty basic. How deep will it pull blacks sands?

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never heard this magnet test, very interesting, I have to try it and see if it works now, lol. Seems pretty basic. How deep will it pull blacks sands?

It depends on the pull force. I use a 250lb pull force. Most times the magnet will get pulled to the ground as opposed to pulling up the black sands. When you pull it from the ground the black sands are usually attached.

istang: I can't give you a place to prospect if I don't know where in GA you are.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This magnet is on sale at Harbor Freight.
80 Lb. Capacity Waterproof Retrieval Magnet
I got a good sized magnet and put a cord on it.
I took a 2 lt. pop bottle and cut a slit on st side.
I got pop all over the place. Shoulda emptied it first.
Yea right.
No but I slipped the magnet in the bottle.
It hangs loose until it attracts something.
I clean my workbench with it too.

OP
OP
I

Istang

Oct 28, 2012
Cohutta Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live in dalton, ga .... Whitfield county

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi... I'm new to prospecting and I've managed to learn some lately but I still have a lot to learn.. I'm wanting to go mining this weekend and do some panning. I know enough to start at streams and rivers... But once I get to the waterway ... Where do I start... I know there must be things to point out of evidence to start looking.. I know u can't just pick a spot and hope to find gold so my question is if someone can give me some guidelines, hints, tips, where to start looking.where and how to start

Hi there--check out my thread--many great tips from the wonderful people on this forum. Lots of advice on how to find the gold. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries-57.html

All the best,

Lanny

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER use magnets as the you throw away your gold,just think of a oreo cookie with your gold in the middle and adios. Just saw some pics of nice big gold nuggets included with magnet minerals just a sticking to them magnets and all you see is gold going away. When working micro finds you just crush and treat be it chemical,ballmill,leach or electroplate. Just more HEAVY junk to haul around and mining IS hard and heavy enough-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread