Where would you find a large cent, or capped bust coin?

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found a few relics from the 1700's, and plenty of relics from the 1800's, but never a coin from that time. I have been going to a stonewall lined woods, that I have found out, through metal detecting was a farm from the 1700's-1950's, because I found an 1800's horse driven plow in the middle of a stonewall bordered square of land (Indicates that that part was plowed at some point), chicken vaccine tags from the 1930's, and 1940's, tombac buttons, 1810-1840 button, extremely ornate Victorian brass buckle, 1700's style square nails that probably indicate a structure there at one point, many shotgun shells, and brass milk jug nameplate from the 1850's, but for some weird reason not a single coin :dontknow: (except a 1968D dime). I am both a relic hunter, and coinshooter, but I am wondering why I have found no coins at that location? I am hunting in New England. Any help would be great.

P.S. I have done a lot of research on old locations, and found some locations that I should try, but I am what would be best to detect for relics and coins. Should I try, huge woods that had houses in, or before the 1800's, farm fields, railroad tracks, stonewall lined woods, any suggestion that you have would help?

Upvote 0

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old homes in town! Houses with prominent families and or a lot of foot traffic should improve your chances!

I got my 1822 Largie in my grandmothers yard. House was built in 1872 so the coin was fifty years old then! Totally unexpected to say the least. Here in Wis we just don't have the time and foot traffic that the east coaster have.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Old homes in town! Houses with prominent families and or a lot of foot traffic should improve your chances!

I got my 1822 Largie in my grandmothers yard. House was built in 1872 so the coin was fifty years old then! Totally unexpected to say the least. Here in Wis we just don't have the time and foot traffic that the east coaster have.

Funny you mention that, because my grandma's house was built in the 1850's, and was a famous milk company back then, the bottles, and the caps are even being sold on Ebay. My grandparents live a few hours north.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where they are removing sidewalks.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think an old bar, store, park or picnic/camp site would be the best for a large cent or any early coin.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't feel bad my first large cent was last weekend (1827) 300 acre farm over 250yrs old, a flat button 10 ft away same age, a pound of pull tabs, and that was it for that farm except some clad close to main roadway. My opinion. Hedge rows running east and west is where the pickers would have hid from Sun staying on north side in shade.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found mine in an old tobacco field near an early 1800's cabin foundation. Going by the small family graveyard nearby, I'm guessing the cabin was used till near 1900 by at least someone in the family. The field is currently planted in hay and the exact spot that I found it was obviously a former walking path to the barn. It's about a 20' wide path full of yet to be unearthed metal in a sea of nothingness. I'm serious, you can walk the entire field and rarely get a hit, but get on that long path and the machine goes crazy.

Hope that helps.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
For starters, you gotta be east of the Mississippi, haha.

Seriously now, it gets harder to get each of those, the further west you go. Here in CA, even expert hunters maybe have 1 or 2 large cents, and 4 or 5 bust coins. It's a lot more common to find spanish and mexican reales at our early sites, as opposed to early USA coins (since the west coast was ruled by Spain and Mexico, prior to the the USA) But back on the eastern seaboard, we know the sand-boxes are brimming with busts, LC's, colonial coppers, etc... . Right ? haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions