Which coins sink faster?

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I'll just sit back and watch this one.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found 3 halves in the last year and they all were 3" or less.? I have found other denominations much deeper, but of course I don't know how long they had been in the ground?? Monty

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty said:
I've found 3 halves in the last year and they all were 3" or less.? I have found other denominations much deeper, but of course I don't know how long they had been in the ground?? Monty

Monty is right as always. All my halves where less than 4 inches deep. They (and silver dollars) are the easiest coins to detect if you can get your coil over one.

I do believe size does affect descent.

The fastest sinking coin in any given location would probably be a small denomination gold coin. Maybe that's one reason why $1 golds are almost never found. I did hear of one being found years ago.

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
My deepest coin dug was a 1916 Half @ nine inches and also dug a 1877 dime @ five inches just a few feet from the half. The oldest coin I've dug was 1826 half cent at less than half inch...As the saying goes "Size doesn't matter????"

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, and there are so many other variables to consider.

After WWII on into the 60's, many old parks were leveled with back dirt . Back 100 years ago parks weren't nearly as smooth and well kept as some are today. They had big carnivals, horses, wagons, you name it, in the park areas.

Many old homes yards and school grounds were also leveled out.

I've always believed that most of the super deep items got that way by reason of landfill.

In places I know have not been filled one can dig Barbers at 2 inches.

So there again, it's all very interesting.

R

rvbvetter

A half and a penny set side by side, will sink at the same rate. But they actually don't sink as much as they are buried by erosion.
Weren't any of you there when Gallaleo drop the big stone little stone off the leaning tower of Pisa. I remember it well. Blue sky, the sun was shining...... HH

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but he didn't drop a feather and a rock and have the wind interfere with the feather. That theory is only good if done in a vacuum. I would guess the half if laid flat would sink slower since it had more surface resistance to the soil? I am going out back today and plant a half and a dime at equal depth and in about 90 years I am going to dig them up and see. That way I figure I should live to be about a hundred and fifty years old. At my age you have to take advantage of every incentive I can get! Monty

PS: Free2 has way too much time on his hands!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
So, may we all assume that coins (for whatever reason) are sometimes found buried?

It's important to bring closure to this so I can go on with my life.

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

Zeb said:
So, may we all assume that coins (for whatever reason) are sometimes found buried?

It's important to bring closure to this so I can go on with my life.
Closure? These post topics run in cycles. I'm sure coin found at 48 half inches. will resurface in time. ;D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I think I have found the answer....take a coin from each denomination. Plant them in your yard,with a little orange flag for a marker. Then once a month for a year...metal detect them. see which one sinks the fastest!!!! TA-DA!!! :D

R

rvbvetter

But when it does resurface. It will be a foriegn coin. HH

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
rvbvetter said:
? ? But when it does resurface. It will be a foriegn coin.? ? ? ?HH

I knew it! I knew it!

10,000,000 years from now all we'll be finding are Chinese coins! Personally I like mine without holes in the middle >:(

Does Mark know about this ???? >:(

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

What purpose would that be? We do not detect in controled enviroments.

R

rvbvetter

Sure we do.
We're just not controlled detectorists. HH

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

In looking at SWR's suggestion of coins under a house. The posts of others who found coins detecting the dirt floor basements of old houses, must mean they do sink. After all there was no grass/leaves to decay, wind or rain.

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

I just knew someone would post that one! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread