Which detector should I keep?

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 detectors, of which I must sell one, I can't afford to keep both. One is a whites eagle spectrum that I've had for almost a year. I found a lot of good stuff with it, and its been an amazing, fun machine to use. I have 2 coils for it, the 950 and the 6".

The other is a DFX 300 I picked up about 3 months ago. I've used it many times since then, I've been playing with the programming myself, and trying out the various factory programs. A few times now, I've been surprised by the stuff I've been able to pick out of some very bad ground with lots of trash in it. And I was wondering whether my surprise was due to the fact that I would not have dug those items if I was using the eagle. That's just speculation of course.

In head to head tests, the Eagle does as well or surpasses the DFX. Air testing a large gold ring, the Eagle picked it up an inch further away. At a salt beach, the eagle in beach mode could be used on the wet sand without too much falsing, no worse, it seemed, than the DFX in beach mode.

I did a test, placing a gold ring on top of some iron infested ground. Both machines picked up the gold ring well, but the Eagle seemed to give a stronger, clearer, more consistent gold range signal. When the ring was turned on its side, neither machine picked it up as a gold range signal. The DFX may have just barely indicated it as a high iron or low foil read when I used the high trash program.

The thing is, selling the DFX will get me a lot more money than the eagle, and I have a lot more money in it. I like the DFX a lot, I like the battery system and I have both the rechargeable and the aa battery pack, so that's a big plus. I like the screen, I like the physical conformation of the eagle, I like that I can cover more ground with the 12" coil. And there is that suspicion that somehow I'm picking out some targets I'd miss with the eagle and the 950 coil.

On the other hand, I have 2 coils for the Spectrum on separate stems so I can switch them fast, I'm using rechargeable AA's in C adapters that give me about 5 hours which is plenty in one day for me.

I think I could get about $200 more for the DFX.

I hate to give up the more sophisticated machine, but unless the DFX can pay me $200 in more or better finds, I think I should let her go.

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Keep the one you enjoy the most! Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 430

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sounds awfully like a post I replied to about a week ago with disastrous results. Sounds like you're between a rock and a hard place:icon_scratch:

Now as I see it you have two wonderful options I can offer you :icon_thumright:

1- Flip a coin and call it in the air heads, DFX; tails, Spectrum

2- Keep the machine 'YOU' desire most, even if you don't make that extra money, and go out more often so you can get finds to make up the difference :icon_thumright:

This was easier for me to answer than to decide what color/style shoes to wear while hunting :laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sell them both and get a Minelab! :occasion14:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No question...the DFX is a much more capable unit, though more difficult to learn.
Jim

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which one do you have more fun with?

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sell them both and get a Minelab! :occasion14:
Terry . I thought for sure you would say Tesoro :laughing7:
It is a ok Idea to sell them and go for the minelab.
IMO, I'd keep the DFX and Just save up for a Minelab.
The DFX would make you one Great back up Detector, :headbang:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Minelabs aint all that!. I have an E-trac and I don't care for it at all!

hurricane dale

Nov 1, 2009
miami,florida
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO, minelab excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get a minelab excaliber II ..i just paid 1400 bucks for it a week ago and this is great for miami beach climate ...it will pay for itself within 3 months from my south beach future finds

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had both, of those two, I miss the Eagle the most, wish I had kept that one. You will get more for the DFX and still have a very good detector with the Eagle. You are asking, that is my humble opinion, but keep the one YOU like best.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have to go along with what ever one you like best.........

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
... I think terry's become undecided........???

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy,

Terry just said that to get us confused....don't know about you but it's a short trip for me....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you already own both, how can two be more expensive than one? Rent a bigger storage shed, or....... she'll get over you having two! TTC

lem49

Mar 25, 2010
Repuplic of Panama
Detector(s) used
fisher cz7a pro, Tesoro Vaquero, whites coinmaster GT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say you cant afford them I am interpreting you need to raise some cash. Sounds as if you get rid of the DFX you may
have some regrets. If money is critical, you need to determine if getting an extra 200 dollars by selling the DFX is critical to
what you need the money for. Perhaps you can find something else to sell to raise the full amount of cash, or the difference
of the dfx....bestof luck to you

Dec 1, 2007
altamont, ny
Detector(s) used
white's, garrett, xp, makro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi--when my bride told me i was getting older & should start selling stuff off i put an ad in our metal detecting news letter. young bride for sale, low miles. loud muffler, not tune able, free-- obo. bob@northeast metal detector

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Scaupus. Did you decide which one you're keeping? If you're going to sale one how much are you selling for?

Bob, Did I buy your wife? Lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread