Which detector should I keep?

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 detectors, of which I must sell one, I can't afford to keep both. One is a whites eagle spectrum that I've had for almost a year. I found a lot of good stuff with it, and its been an amazing, fun machine to use. I have 2 coils for it, the 950 and the 6".

The other is a DFX 300 I picked up about 3 months ago. I've used it many times since then, I've been playing with the programming myself, and trying out the various factory programs. A few times now, I've been surprised by the stuff I've been able to pick out of some very bad ground with lots of trash in it. And I was wondering whether my surprise was due to the fact that I would not have dug those items if I was using the eagle. That's just speculation of course.

In head to head tests, the Eagle does as well or surpasses the DFX. Air testing a large gold ring, the Eagle picked it up an inch further away. At a salt beach, the eagle in beach mode could be used on the wet sand without too much falsing, no worse, it seemed, than the DFX in beach mode.

I did a test, placing a gold ring on top of some iron infested ground. Both machines picked up the gold ring well, but the Eagle seemed to give a stronger, clearer, more consistent gold range signal. When the ring was turned on its side, neither machine picked it up as a gold range signal. The DFX may have just barely indicated it as a high iron or low foil read when I used the high trash program.

The thing is, selling the DFX will get me a lot more money than the eagle, and I have a lot more money in it. I like the DFX a lot, I like the battery system and I have both the rechargeable and the aa battery pack, so that's a big plus. I like the screen, I like the physical conformation of the eagle, I like that I can cover more ground with the 12" coil. And there is that suspicion that somehow I'm picking out some targets I'd miss with the eagle and the 950 coil.

On the other hand, I have 2 coils for the Spectrum on separate stems so I can switch them fast, I'm using rechargeable AA's in C adapters that give me about 5 hours which is plenty in one day for me.

I think I could get about $200 more for the DFX.

I hate to give up the more sophisticated machine, but unless the DFX can pay me $200 in more or better finds, I think I should let her go.

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread