dsterry0578

Jan 20, 2007
Upvote 0

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
I got the "medium" priced headphones from whites. They work well but are the kind that fully cover the ears tightly and are plastic. They are horribly hot in the summer and dont allow for hearing approaching people, dogs, etc. I ended up getting some light weight cheapos from radio shack and although Im sure im missing some VERY faint signals, my day is much more comfortable and probably safer. Hope this helps, dave.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Good question!

I probably should have asked that too. I went ahead and ordered "Jolly Roger" headphones. I'll give a review when I get them.

The headphones I have now need to be replaced because...

1. They're falling apart.

2. They slide around on my head so the tones change.

3.They let in so much ambient sound, I can't hear anything near traffic and outdoor power equipment.

4. They have no volume control.

5. The four ft. non-coiled cord gets tangled and tugs the phones right off my ears sometimes.

6 Ect ect ect... ;)

I can't wait!

Cheers

Ridley

Grubstake

Oct 20, 2006
Mariposa,CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab,2200sd, excallibur, soverine
BLACK WIDOWS are tops, alittle high priced, but work on any machine, mono or stereo, have a clipper switch, lifetime waranty. I love mine. Also Gray Ghost. both made by the same company, Grubstake

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got a pair of gray ghost on the way here ;) back ups etc

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't go wrong with headphones by detector pro I love my grayghost and before that I had a pair of Jolly rogers Detectorpro offers lifetime warrenty on there headphones if I AM NOT MISTAKEN

OP
OP
D

dsterry0578

Jan 20, 2007
Thanks everybody, I'm probably going to get the Gray Ghost, I've heard a lot of good things about them. Thanks again!!

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to think about, most of the headphones that come with your machines stock are usually 30 ohm headphones, most speciality headphones are 100 ohm units. NOW this is just me, but i am a lil hard of hearing to many loud race engines destroyed some of my hearing, and i didn`t like the sound difference in the 100 ohm units, seemed like it was a touch higher pitched versus the 30 ohm was a lower grunt sound.

Its always best to try and borrow a pair to try if possible.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
........Still waiting for my Jolly Roger headphones....... My old ones just made it through today....... ;)

Ridley

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Okay!

Got the JR headphones today! I field tested them (in a field). It took me about 10 minutes to get the volume the way I wanted and the reduction of ambient noise took
a little getting used to but...

... then I ran into a patch of assorted coins and trash. I was so busy digging, I forgot I was wearing them.

Two thumbs up! I highly recommend them. Thanks for the fast delivery too, Tony. ;)

If anyone has a question about them, ask away.

PS. They're kind of stylish as well.

Ridley

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got my grays today also i like they slightly lower tone
still to cold to feild them yet :-\

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My homemade suit me the best, then Greyghost or Mole Super Phones depending on the machine being used. Troy or SunRay are good but read the following review if you have a Fisher.
http://www.detectorpro.net/headphones

Do watch in case the cones have been changed. Mole Super Phones got better. Pro Phones (white in colour) that I really liked with the Fisher CZ's changed to a black colour, performed worse and felt like wearing a head clamp. Predators new version don't have as good a tone response. Detector Pro products were improved a year or so back which made them more reliable in use, a point to consider if your buying second hand.

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got myself a pair of Koss KW-Pro's yesterday and have yet to try them due to being to cold. Great price at $69.00.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread