Which Headphones Are the Best??

dsterry0578

Jan 20, 2007
Which headphones are the best because I'm looking into buying a set soon and need your advice as to which ones to get. I've heard that DetectorPro Nugget Busters & Garrett Master Sound headphones are good, is this true? I saw that Garrett's website sells a set for $29.95, is that a good price? Any information would be great. Thanks to all.

Upvote 0

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I switched to headphones I just grabbed what I had handy which happened to be a set that came from a NorthWest Airlines flight I took in September. They seemed to work pretty well and I was getting adjusted to them. But this weekend my detector really started acting up and I finally figured out that it was the headphones. I think I had somehow broken a wire which was causing lots of static. I had an old set of Koss TD-60 head phones so I gave them a try. I can't say I really like them. The overall tone is much lower, I hear a lot more ambient sound than I did with the cheapies, and I've had to up the volume quite a bit.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Like KOSS for Tones

I also have a pair of TROY Phones that actually Cover
my Ears Better

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll add my praise for the Black Widows. Hot in the direct sun of summer but they are a great set of headphones. I don't have a visual display so it's all by ear.

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
Just got Killer b's Hornet Optma, 150 ohm. Previously been using Whites 32 ohm phones which are a whole lot lighter in weight and the tone is lower. I like the higher tone and the Hornet ear cup is one half inch longer inside, same width. The Whites are smaller and did hurt my ears after a short while.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well despite my problems with my old Koss headphones (mentioned above), I got real frustrated with them today and in mid-hunt went to the local radio shack to see what I could get. They had a nice set of Koss headphones with volume control so I said what the heck I'll try. They worked out great and I'm glad I bought them.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i got a pair of koss ur 30s with my explorer that are pretty nice. i kinda like them.

porchdawg

Nov 7, 2005
Warner Robins, GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTA 1350
I just purchased a pair of SunRay Pro's and I am amazed at the differance from the lower end models I have used in the past. I can't compare these to the other top line phones but I sure like mine.

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
Can anyone tell me how the tiger shark headphones stack up in the comfort dept?
???

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone here tell me which you would choose: SunRay pro's or Black Widows and If you have both which one has the best tone and which has the largest inside diameter earcup....
Thanks,
Ray

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
TonyinCT said:
As good as any other water detector phones. :)

I've never tried on a pair on water detector headphones, I will be using them on dry land, how do they compare to maybe koss or gray ghosts ???

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I use Killer Bees and Timberwolf. Works for me

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I use the Koss KTX PRO1 headphones. They are very light on the ear types with a single volume control & go loud. They have a lifetime warranty. They are available from a few detector dealers & other online sources for as low as $19 shipped. Rado Shack also sells them, usually $29.99 but sometimes on sale for $14.99 (+ tax). HH, George (MN)

TNLily

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2006
Indiana
Hello, we're new to the detecting scene here. My husband and I have been hunting since June of '06. Best anniversary gifts we ever bought each other!
I was thrilled to come across this topic. I wear glasses, can't see two feet in front of me without'em! My headphones, which came with my Prism, really hurt my ears after awhile. Any suggestions?
Thanks

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Hi TNLily. I would reccomend the Gray Ghost originals for your detectors. These are top of the line headphones backed by a lifetime warranty. They work very well with most all detectors yours included. Please let me know if I can be of any more help to you i n your decision.
TonyinCT
www.tcmetaldetectors.com

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Grey Ghost, Killer Bees, Timberwolf-DO NOT SKIMP ON HADPHONES. You get what you pay for

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Went and got an adapter and use my regular old walkman earphones. Yup, I said walkman...me and those MP3 things just don't get along.

Can't control the volume but having the ear piece partially over my ears leaves room for outside sound to enter as well as reducing the volume.

Don't want anyone thinking they can sneak up on me and steal the good stuff. ;D

With the big headphones on, outside sounds aren't heard. And they are bulky and hot and heavy in the sun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions