Which is better on E-trac: stock 11" or SEF 10x12?

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran both, awhile back, compared them quite a bit. Ended up running the sef most of the time, i think it would id target numbers a little deeper, did a little better for me at the beaches and had a slight depth advantage. Did notice the weight difference though, but it wasnt too bad. The pro coil was a good coil too.

Last edited:

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
I think most who have used both (including me) would select the 10X12. And it is a good stock coil replacement if the trash level isn't too high. It will still separate ok there but it will be audio overload on your ears.
I actually sold the 10X12 in favor of the 13" Detech. The weight just was the selling point for me - it is about the same as the stock and the 10X12 is noticeably heavier.
You need to read Bryce_IL over at Finds' reviews on the coils - it is in his signature. I think he said the 13" Detech was better in most regards but perhaps couldn't separate quite as well as the 10X12.

wildherre

Greenie
Mar 29, 2009
NW Induana
Detector(s) used
Omega, V3i, Explorer, Etrac, CTX
Pro Coil

Pro Coil, X-12, 13", 10X12 In that order.... wildherre

7130109759_09c8f0d635_b.jpg

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pro coil! Much better quality control!

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I was thinking I would just stick with the 11" when I get it an' give it a chance!

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good choice!

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems on the Sovereigns the SEF's seem to be preferred...I have an Ultimate 13" and SEF 10x12 for my GT and Elite. I would like to get an X-5 for Etrac...but not sure it's worth it...Watched a 5" Excelerator sell on ebay today for $78 I think? Im coil crazy: between my Sovereigns and Etrac I have 6!!I would like to see a 6.5 or 7 inch: some where between 8 and 5... 5 seems like it would not get very good depth although it would obviously have good separation. I plan to start in some parks I haven't hunted since the early 90's and the place I work is being renovated. It sits on the site of the first Indiana University building dating back to the 1850's...later there was a high schoo,l as well...behind it where there are businesses now, there was a football field and a baseball diamond...but I digress....can't wait for spring!
Pro Coil, X-12, 13", 10X12 In that order.... wildherre

View attachment 720867

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used both and ounce for ounce the Pro coil is better. IMO

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far with all of the coils I have now (14) I think my favorite has been the SEF 6x8 for the Etrac: pinpoints and seems to separate really well. Can't say that I have dug anything really deep but have found some nice coins. The first time out I left Pro coil on and had a pretty tough time with it, but that may be more my lack of experience with the Etrac.
It seems on the Sovereigns the SEF's seem to be preferred...I have an Ultimate 13" and SEF 10x12 for my GT and Elite. I would like to get an X-5 for Etrac...but not sure it's worth it...Watched a 5" Excelerator sell on ebay today for $78 I think? Im coil crazy: between my Sovereigns and Etrac I have 6!!I would like to see a 6.5 or 7 inch: some where between 8 and 5... 5 seems like it would not get e very good depth although it would obviously have good separation. I plan to start in some parks I haven't hunted since the early 90's and the place I work is being renovated. It sits on the site of the first Indiana University building dating back to the 1850's...later there was a high schoo,l as well...behind it where there are businesses now, there was a football field and a baseball diamond...but I digress....can't wait for spring!

biggboy101

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Safari and I just ordered a sef 10 x 12 compared to using the safari stock coil, here in Iowa where I live Ive gone slow with the stock coil and just not been overly impressed with it I have used the minelab 8in coil and can hit wheats and dimes at 8in maybe its cause i can run it hotter with next to no unstability and it pinpoints perfect but i was also wanting a lilttle better depth so im trying the 10 x 12 ..guess im hoping to see at least close to the 10in range id be very happy if i can achieve that if i find a target that deep :)
also im noticing with the safari having a slower processor it just seems to reset twice as quik which a bonus too ....i love my Safari maybe someday ill get a etrac

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 10x12 I would have sold you. I feel the 11" gets the same depth but is way lighter.

biggboy101

Apr 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive hunted more and more with this coil in Iowa where I hunt ive tested it multiple times and have not received any deeper depth than the minelab 8in factory coil?? idk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread