which is the best detector for under $200?

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also LATROBE , RUFFSDALE, E. Mckeesport with Pittsburg ZIP (15219)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
& EARIE & MEADVILLE (16501)

O

ol ploock

I like Free's idea of Wal-mart. There return policy is outstanding.

jimmyokla

Dec 19, 2004
I own an Ace 250 and am thoroughly pleased.I bought it from Kellyco for 199.95 and they threw in a toolbelt headphones carry bag for the machine and a few extras.Ive been pulling up coins left and right and the pinpoint is dead on. Jimmy

W

wodd

Mike,
When are you going to buy your detector, because my brother is getting his Garretts 250 tomarrow and we will probably take it out and test it sunday. I can't wait for him to get it because I want to compare it to my Whites Prizm ll. Being new to detecting I want to see the differences in the 2 machines myself, for I can give people an honest comparision in detectors around the $200 range.
As for buying the higher end detectors I am glad I didn't get one because I wanted to make sure I like it first. And to me its not a waste of money to buy the so called cheaper models because its fun just to get out there and find coins or what not. A matter of fact I found my first gold necklace so low end models have their place too....
WODD...

D

Darod

Mike,

Your getting an ear full on this question. I don't want to add to the confusion for you but you made a very smart statement a few posts back.......Your thinking of getting th Whites because the dealer is nearby and if you need service it will be more convienent. In my opinion this is a great idea/decission. I personally would suggest the Garrett Ace 250.....BUT......the Whites is situated better for you in terms of service and all around dealer support. Both machines are very good. Both are extremely capable for the price. And both will hold their value if you decide to sell them because the hobby just doesn't end up being your bag.

For the service and support convienence I'd get the Whites.

Rod

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Mike,

? ?Have you looked at the Compadre by Tesoro.? I have throughly enjoyed mine.
Just another model for you to consider..A dealer can be found at www.tesoro.com
Hope it helps,

RON(PA).

Beach_hunter

Jan 20, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too think the Prizm II is the best 200 dollar choice. Then in a few months buy the 950 coil for 75 bucks and dig deeper.

Two weeks ago I popped a 1941 s penny from a carnival sight we had worked thee times. It was at about 5 inches.

D

diggit 65

for that price you can find a lot of good deals on jus about any good midrange detector if you just look around I ended up with a nice garrett gta 1000 for 150.00
and I started out with the bh 101 just have fun with whatever you buy that's what it is all about ebay is the place to look just watch ratings
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? DIGGIT
? ? ? ? ? ?what part of pa are you from i'm a pa boy to

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
mike read the garrett fourm on the new treasure depot it will give you an idea of the ace 250 capabilities, i love whites but for that price i would get the ace. im buying one for my son. HH

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
For some reason lately almost everyone asking about getting into MD'ing is setting their entry price at 200 bucks then wrestling between the BH and Ace 250. The Ace 250 is getting good plugs from everyone who has used it so far especially experienced users of other makes, sounds like Garrett really hit the spot. A lot of us know BH and their capabilities and I believe the BH potetnial is directly tied to the drive, discipline and hunting style of the user.

Not using a BH anymore, have machines that simply outperform the old BH I have. Would love to try out an ACE 250 but no need, it wouldn't be an upgrade. That old BH cost under a hundred a long time ago and when the CZ series came out I felt it was time so I got one of the brand spankin' new CZ5's and never looked back. Expanded the number of machines I own as I developed and cultured my hunting styles over the years.

Point is don't torture yourself over a 200 dollar startup cost. Set it to 100, 200, 300 or 400, if you like doing this and see yourself doing it more going forward, you'll get more machine(s) later. And if you agree with that concept, why not get yourself something mid to high end used to start up with. An extra 100 or so might get you into a high end machine made 5 years ago if you can find a deal. If this is a passing fancy or you will not keep it up, get the cheapest MD you can find. Current metal detecting technology has not significantly improved in the last 15 or so years. Today's detectors do not put out anymore power than the ones made 15 years ago and few process it much differently.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Points as Usual Lowbatts. I want to ad one thing. If it's a matter of cash on hand, I do know Kellyco has a Lay-A-Way, and I wouldn't be supprised to find out most dealers would do that for you also.

OP
OP
P

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
I was looking around at MD dealers yesterday, there are two in a nearby town. I looked at the white's dealer first, to be totallt honest the prisms did not impress me. I went to radio shack and looked at the BH detectors. I did not like the 1100 but I did like the $299 3300 model. it was easy to use, I had no instruction. I just turned the machine on set sensityivity to about 60-75% set discrimination to cut out Iron and foil. I took some change out of my pocket and my ring off my finger and placed them on the floor. It correctly identified all of the items with the coil within 5" but had touble over 5". It was very easy to use, would probably make a good starter machine but for the price I will put my money towards an Ace 250.

mike

D

diggit 65

my brother had the 3300 for a while. they are nice but i think you would be better off with the garrett . But I am a GARRETT user! just make sure you research everything and get hands on .test drive!!!! 8)

beaver co. DIGGIT 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions