which one to buy?

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've narrowed my choice of detector to UMax, Tejon or Cibola since they are all in the same general price area and all seem fairly simple, that is no meters or visual target I.D. stuff. I will be using this in New England for coin and relic hunting and our soil here is usually not too mineralized unless I get near the water which I might on occasion. The last detector I owned was a Compass which I let my cousin borrow because he lost his wedding ring and his wife said he was "shut off" until he found it. Fortunately for him he didn't find it and is now divorced and very happy!

I do most of my detecting underwater now as I work on shipwrecks as an archaeologist, the sites include the pirate ship WHYDAH, 1717 and MARGARET of 1796, so I have no problem learning the idiosyncrasies of any machine.

I appreciate your advice and look forward to your responses. My friends around here regularly find coins from the late 1600's to early 1900's so I need to get out there before all the good stuff is gone!

Thanks,

Pirate Diver

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
The Vaquero is also a very good all around detector option. It is a tough choice, as I really like my Tejon for relic hunting. I have owned the Vaquero and it was a good all around detector, but I opted to stick with the Tejon for relic hunting and the silver u for parks or strapping on my motorcycle and finding potential spots. Good luck

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure the majority of people on here will tell you the Tejon is the best. I've not had the chance to use one, but they seem to be the popular choice.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either the Tejon or Vaquero would do fine, it just depends of which features you want. I've used both before and just got another Tejon and I mainly just do the water now. Some say the Tejon is unstable and I suspect that they just have the sens turned up to HoT.

Attachments

• Vaquero.jpg
    Vaquero.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 283
  • Vaquero.jpg
    Vaquero.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 271
  • frontpaneltejon.gif
    frontpaneltejon.gif
    54.1 KB · Views: 281
  • Vaquero.jpg
    Vaquero.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 279
  • frontpaneltejon.gif
    frontpaneltejon.gif
    54.1 KB · Views: 285

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
The Tejon is only unstable if you do not take the time to learn it. Just like any other detector. :coffee2:

OP
OP
P

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody, looks like Tejon. I might as well wait till spring since the ground is frozen solid now anyway and a big snow storm is on the way too.

Merry Christmas

Pirate Diver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread