Which Probe? DetectorPro or VibraPhone 570

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Help!
I'm looking for a pin-pointing probe that can detect coins at more than 1 inch.
There are two new one out - the VibraPhone 570 and the DetectorPro Pistol Probe.

The pin-pointer I have now (Whites) has to be under an inch close to find the coin,
and I hear the newer probes can detect at longer distances.
I like the Pistol Probe, but at $190 that is kind of steep. :P
But I don't know how much further than 1-inch the Vibra phone gets.
Their ad says "up to 2 inches."
Does that mean, in reality, that it's no better than the 1-inch of the Whites? ???

Anyone have the DetectorPro Pistol Probe that can shed light on this? :icon_scratch:

Thanks in advance

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I have the 570 and I get between 1 and 2 inches. The thing drives my Explorer nuts though and it doesn't work well with my buddy's XLT.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you one not to get..the Whites Bullseye...It beats sifting through the dirt but has a lot to be desired...mine only gets about a 1/2 inch in the dirt and have to re-tune it constantly.

OP
OP
UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Thanks guys.
Yeah, I have the Whites now, and it has to be right on top of the coin to go off.

Well, 1-2 inches would probably be DOUBLE what I'm getting out of the Bullseye, so
that would be an improvement.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Let me give you a little better answer.

The 570 is waterproof, comes with a sheath you can wear on your belt and it durable. It is a bit too long in my opinion. It has not on or off switch you turn it on by pointing it straight up and then it times out and turns off after either 3 minutes or 5 of not being used.

It does NOT like the Explorer and I have to keep the two at least 5-6 feet away from each other in order to use them. So when I am using the 570 I have to lay my EX off to the side. It has a very similar effect on the XLT except the interference is only affects the xlt for about 3 feet.

It isn't a bad pinpointer all-in-all. I can say that after having looked at the Pro Pointer by Garrett I am going to be changing over to the Garrett at Christmas time when Santa brings me a Pro Pointer. Smaller, lighter and easier to use. The only negative to the Pro Pointer is you cannot turn off sound. Oh yeah the 570 is vibration only, no sound.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got rid of the 570 because it was driving my X-70 just crazy. Didn't bother the Tesoro at all though. Sold the 570 and got the new Garrett pro-pointer. It was nice while it worked!!!! Sent it back to the factory last Wed. or Thur. Called them today and they are replacing it with a new one, (I think). Was told I would get the replacement this week now it's Nov. 4. Oh well, I just hope it's not another dud.

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
I use the 570 w/ the x-terra 70 and yes it interferes with the detector. Just place the coil two feet away from the target and your fine. Works fine for me.

dl_mooney

Jun 26, 2008
I have the VibraProbe 570 (About $130)works well,would say 2+inches. Like said it Vibrates when over target.Great when using Headphones etc.

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
X-Terra Uses w/570

Hold up your 570 to turn it on... I hold it downtowards the coil when I noise cancel...

Issue of your 570 driving your XT70 nuts = GONE!

OP
OP
UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Well - FaGEDDaBOUTiT! :tongue3:

I decided to go with the Garrett Pro-Pointer. :thumbsup:
The others seem to create interference with the MXT,
according to other members in my club.
Meanwhile, a buddy just got the Pro-Pointer from Garret
and showed us how it worked, and I was impressed. :)

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UncleVinnys said:
Well - FaGEDDaBOUTiT! :tongue3:

I decided to go with the Garrett Pro-Pointer. :thumbsup:
The others seem to create interference with the MXT,
according to other members in my club.
Meanwhile, a buddy just got the Pro-Pointer from Garret
and showed us how it worked, and I was impressed. :)
I think you made a good choice...Think I might go that route soon.

BudP

Sep 19, 2005
OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT17000/Explorer XS/Exp SE Pro
Go to the 'Sunray' web-site and see if their X-1 prob is compatible with your detector. You'll thank me later.

Bud in Oregon

OP
OP
UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I'll look into that, Bud.

Meanwhile, though, the Garrett is working wonders.
With it's 2 to 3-inch reach, it means I can often pinpoint the
target even before I dig hole. I scan with the detector coil, and
when I get a hit, scan again with the pinpointer, and bingo!
I can usually fish it out in a few seconds, and with a much smaller hole.
VERY impressed with that.
My last hunt (yesterday) I DOUBLED the number of collected coins.
Of course, it's impossible to tell if that was just due to a better
site, but certainly the retrieval times are much shorter.

Attachments

• Nov9coinssm.jpg
    Nov9coinssm.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 175
  • Nov9coinssm.jpg
    Nov9coinssm.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 155

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Nope what you describe is one of the MAJOR advantages of having a pinpointer.

IMHO some pinpointers are too strong and not sensitive enough to be worth a whole lot. I want a pinpointer that will get 2-3 inches in depth on target, that way finding the target is quicker and you can dig more targets.

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Pistol Probe goes pretty deep...

I've been using the Pistol Probe for a few weeks now. Did a little experiment. After pinpointing a copper penny at 7 inches, I turned off my F-75 and took out the Pistol Probe. Turned the threshold (=sensitivity) just up to its breaking point and was able to pinpoint the coin with the probe. Dug the coin, but it was more like 6 inches (the F-75 depth indicator is rarely dead on). So, the Pistol Probe can go deep, after all, it's a mini pulse induction unit. It is a little bulky though.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
If I were you, I'd see a dealer and try out a Sun-Ray. You will never want to use another pinpointer again in your life. they are a little more expensive, but they don't use batteries, and they get pretty good depth (3 inches or so).

Trust me, I used a few battery-powered pinpointers, including the Bullseye, though I haven't tried the new Garrett. I just really really like the Sun-Ray! But that's just me.

Joe

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
twistidd said:
If I were you, I'd see a dealer and try out a Sun-Ray. You will never want to use another pinpointer again in your life. they are a little more expensive, but they don't use batteries, and they get pretty good depth (3 inches or so).

Trust me, I used a few battery-powered pinpointers, including the Bullseye, though I haven't tried the new Garrett. I just really really like the Sun-Ray! But that's just me.

Joe
The only problem with the sunray is that they are set for one machine. If you have more than one detector, you are up the creek.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
SC_hunter said:
twistidd said:

Joe
The only problem with the sunray is that they are set for one machine. If you have more than one detector, you are up the creek.

That's why you get one for each detector! lol

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
twistidd said:
SC_hunter said:
twistidd said:

Joe

That's why you get one for each detector! lol
hahaha...I can barely afford my detector.......spread the wealth..lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread