White Patina on lead bullets

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
its oxidation.would happen in a drawer eventually..takes nearly a hundred years on lead to get a good patina..:occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can turn an off white with age, I'm wondering now if certain ground conditions have an effect on the process, like if the soils have a lime base.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no chemist, but I know that white discoloration on old lead might be lead oxide. Interestingly enough, while metallic lead does not dissolve in water, lead oxide will dissolve in water and you are like sixty percent water. I would probably wash my hands after handling white colored lead.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had rounds in a leather bag get funky/frosty looking after a winters un use.
A light oiling helps avoid it suggesting an oxidation is the cause.
Different than those in soil, with less oxygen, but that patina from bullets in the earth over time is smoother and more uniform it seems.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I shoot muzzleloaders and I get white and brown patina in just a few years. I periodically "hunt" my shooting backstop and the gully behind it to recover lead to recast into new round balls. Been at the house since 2005 and I find completely white oxidized balls in the dirt.

Without a doubt different soils cause different results. In one section of the hill there is clay soil and the balls turn light brown (rust colored) instead of white - though there is a thin white layer closest the lead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread