Whites 10" D2 or stock 950 on MXT

Tnshooter

Jun 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's 10" D2 or stock 950 on MXT

I have an older (2007) MXT that I have run the stock coil kn for years.
Is the 10" D2 any deeper than 950?

The soil where I live isn't too mineralized. But I do occasionally make trips to other places with high mineralization.

Would spending the money on a new coil be worth it?
Or should I keep running stock and just dig the iffy signals?

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually hunt with the 10" D2 and my v3i. I put that coil on my MXT pro last fall and wow! It's like a whole new machine. Better depth and excellent separation.

Since my v3i appears to be having some issues, I took the MXT out for about 6 hours this past weekend with my new 13" Detect DD. I was really impressed with the depth and accuracy. If you're looking at larger DD coils you should consider the Detect. Coverage, depth, accuracy - all excellent. I picked up mine for around $130. The Whites coil is at least $100 more.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found my 13" ultimate coil any deeper than the D2 coil but it does hit harder on those deep coins sitting on edge though, the DD style coil itself will find you more targets when there's a little trash. HH

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My D2 Coil Is Extremely Hot on Small/Tiny Targets and it will pick up my hand at 5 to 6 inches, So Far it seems to be the Hotest Coil for the MXTs and I have had them All and it Can See Nuggets Down to 0.02 grams and Smaller and On Bigger Items It can see them Very Deep,

I prefer the 950/12" Coils But the D2 Is A Beast of A Coil and it will serve you well where ever you take, It's about the Best All-rounder.

OP
OP
T

Tnshooter

Jun 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help. I haven't looked at coils in a few years.
I've been thinking of upgrading the mxt to a new detector. But the mxt has bees so good to me.
I know it well and it's like a it belongs with me.

Thanks again.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help. I haven't looked at coils in a few years.
I've been thinking of upgrading the mxt to a new detector. But the mxt has bees so good to me.
I know it well and it's like a it belongs with me.

Thanks again.

Well I just Bought the New All Pro with the 2D coil and it is A Hot Set up that's for sure, and for some reason this one seems a lot hotter than my last 2 MXT's so if you can I would Grab One,

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get the 13" Ultimate or 10x12 SEF over the D-2.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get the 13" Ultimate or 10x12 SEF over the D-2.

They are Ok for finding Large Items like coins But they are useless for finding Natural Gold and their detection field is not Uniform and they are not sensitive enough for finding Small Nuggets.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's 10" D2 or stock 950 on MXT

I did t know he was even talking about nugget hunting. I was talking coin, relic and jewelry. I have coin the 13" ultimate to be very sensitive to smallish targets line earring backs and such. Never expected to use giant coils for subgrain nuggets. Have you ever tried an Ultimate for nuggets on the MXT? I have only used one on a Sovereign and Etrac and found it very sensitive to small jewelry, but like I said never have been nugget shooting. It was more sensitive than the stock 10" Tornado coil on a Sovereign.

Last edited:

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Coils you mentioned are Great for Normal Detecting But Not for Prospecting, And as he has not said what his Goals are it is hard to point him in the right direction,

So because he wants to use it in mixed mineralization I would recommend the D2 coil because all of the Unknown.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my D2 95% of the time, the 13" ultimate coil will cover more ground faster but isn't any deeper. I would only use the 13" ultimate coil for open grassy area's. HH

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did t know he was even talking about nugget hunting. I was talking coin, relic and jewelry. I have coin the 13" ultimate to be very sensitive to smallish targets line earring backs and such. Never expected to use giant coils for subgrain nuggets. Have you ever tried an Ultimate for nuggets on the MXT? I have only used one on a Sovereign and Etrac and found it very sensitive to small jewelry, but like I said never have been nugget shooting. It was more sensitive than the stock 10" Tornado coil on a Sovereign.

There's only Two coils that helped the Sovereign GT see small Items and that Is the Coiltek Little Joey 6x10, and then the 8X12 Platypus Coil even the factory coils where better than the Detech and SEF Coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread