whites beach hunter id 300 or Minelab excalibur 2

Pauln

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a whites beach hunter ID that I got about a month ago and enjoy. Everyone else I see on the beach has a Minelab Excalibur. They say it can identify bottle caps from rings and they pass up the bottle caps. Others say, dig everything. I know it goes a little deeper than the Beach hunter id, but if I am going to pick up everything anyway and that is the major difference is it worth the extra money? Does anyone have both or used both that and give me good feedback? And how well does it identify bottle caps from rings? The beach hunter shows rings and bottle caps the same. Any suggestions?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I have a whites beach hunter ID that I got about a month ago and enjoy. Everyone else I see on the beach has a Minelab Excalibur. They say it can identify bottle caps from rings and they pass up the bottle caps. Others say, dig everything. I know it goes a little deeper than the Beach hunter id, but if I am going to pick up everything anyway and that is the major difference is it worth the extra money? Does anyone have both or used both that and give me good feedback? And how well does it identify bottle caps from rings? The beach hunter shows rings and bottle caps the same. Any suggestions?

depends on what you mean by "bottle caps". Do you mean the crown cap type? Or the screwcap type?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The biggest advantage to excal is it can tell difference between iron and any other metal, it will also tell you when there is gold with iron no others will and your hunting with 17 freq.

I can tell a lot of times when it is a bottle cap, but not every time and no one else can either....there are too many variables to it. Corroded caps are hard to identify many times while brand new ones are easy...

I use to use Beach Hunter ID, while it was a very good detector it was not in same league with my excel in my opinion.

I have 2 excals both have the pinpoint mods on handle fore reverse disc hunting and both have large 15" DD coils, one has custom headphones It is common in all medal mode to find targets 18-22+ inches deep, after removing couple scoops of sand you switch to disc to see if it is iron.

I fig no iron with excel...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
treasure-hunter is talking about the "crown cap" type. And yes, they have a tell-tale audio. And yes, it differs when they are rusted/corroded, vs new. And I would say I can tell them when new AND corroded on my excal. But if I'm in a "don't take no chances" mood (grasping for deepies), then I'll chase a few.

As for the screw-cap type, yes, the excal can tell those from a gold ring too. But that's if you care to forgo the largest of gold rings (big fat man's rings, like college class ring sized rings). Because aluminum screw caps read up mid to high range. And that is only the domain of larger gold rings. Not many, but a few.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% correct Tom.... For me when hunting the beach, if it does not null from all directions I am digging it.

I am not walking away from a gold ring with a $10,000 diamond sitting in it because I was too lazy to dig it, I have found to many gold rings that sounded like a pull tab or screw top cap.

OP
OP
P

Pauln

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to use Beach Hunter ID said:
If I plan to pick up everything no matter what the tone is there still an advantage of the excal over the beach hunter in your opinion?

OP
OP
P

Pauln

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% correct Tom.... For me when hunting the beach, if it does not null from all directions I am digging it.

I am not walking away from a gold ring with a $10,000 diamond sitting in it because I was too lazy to dig it, I have found to many gold rings that sounded like a pull tab or screw top cap.

If I plan to pick up everything no matter what the tone is there still an advantage of the excal over the beach hunter in your opinion?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hay, I scoop everything! It only takes seconds to scoop an item. I use a Whites Surfmaster PI that is 12 years old and it has found gold rings at 10+" and fine gold chains that others have walked over. Frank...

hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, the excel will tell you when it is iron, and will tell you when there is gold beside the iron....

Ejmrods

Jul 25, 2012
Ridge NY and Sarasota Fl
Detector(s) used
V3i, Beach Hunter, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both. The Excalibur is lighter than the BHID. The BHID has discrimination and the ID Lights. I usually hunt in the AM mode and dig everything. I really feel its a toss up. I love Whites customer service, I don't think there are any better. That's a big reason I am a Whites guy. By the way the BHID ID lights work in the AM mode, if that means anything to you. Good Luck and have fun

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread