Whites goldmaster STR

KatsKlaws03

Greenie
Mar 20, 2008
Stanton, Ky
Detector(s) used
whites dfx, fisher F4
I got this machine in about 1970 give or take a year or two. I love it didn't have trouble learning to use it and it pinpointed great. It died in the early 80's and I put it out in the garage and forgot about it. I was digging around in the garage today and found it. It still looks great, all the knobs turn and got a wild hair and sent it to Whites today to try to get it repaired. I was looking around on the net for information on this detector and kinda hit a stone wall. I have tried a couple newer detectors and they all seemed too noisy. Does anyone have any information about this detector they would share or a link to information about it. I know I'm probably wasting my time on such an old detector but I loved that machine and used it quite successfully for a dozen years or so. Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I think you mean a "66TR", not an "STR", right? If so, what do you want to know about it?

If you meant 66tr, that's a dinasour for sure. All-metal TR. It would disc. out small iron, by its very nature, but depth was terrible (compared to today's machines), and it didn't work well in mineralized ground, had no other form of disc, etc...

I had one too in the mid 1970s (bought used when it was perhaps 5 yrs. old), and I'm guessing the max depth on coins, if you REEAALLLY listened and tried hard, was 6"?

OP
OP
KatsKlaws03

KatsKlaws03

Greenie
Mar 20, 2008
Stanton, Ky
Detector(s) used
whites dfx, fisher F4
Yes you are right. The machine was unable to be repaired obsolete parts so I guess I'm going to have to get busy and learn how to use my White's DFX and Fischer F4. I am doing much better with them guess I was a little lazy. I have a hunting buddy and we have been hitting it hard with limited success but I did find a nice silver ring the other day. Have found lots of clad & can tops but no silver yet. Thanks for the reply and Happy Hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread